Author Topic: Discussion: What to do in case of a tie in the finals?  (Read 2115 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Discussion: What to do in case of a tie in the finals?
« on: February 27, 2020, 02:52:15 PM »
Before I simply do something I want to ask around what other people think.

2 options come to my mind:

- Redo the voting process!

I think this is the weaker option as people would have to change their mind out of nowhere and it can lead to an unhonerst result

- Declare both levels to be winners!

This would be my favorite option as the public vote decided that both levels are equaly popular and the result should reflect that.
The winners will have to find a way to arrange the prize though: If they choose differently no problem. For something like rule determination they could decide on a ruleset together maybe ???

So what do you think? ???

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
Re: Discussion: What to do in case of a tie in the finals?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 03:15:26 PM »
Two winners I'd say. :thumbsup: (For the same reasons.)
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 03:17:25 PM »
I also support two winners idea ! :D
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 03:29:24 PM »
The joint winners idea I think will work great.

Or, if we really wanted one level to win, another suggestion is we could take the Moderator's (Or the host's) vote as the winning level. At least that also nullifies the redo of the voting process.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 03:46:47 PM »
Or, if we really wanted one level to win, another suggestion is we could take the Moderator's (Or the host's) vote as the winning level. At least that also nullifies the redo of the voting process.

Doesn't work when the host created one of the tied levels :P

I agree with everyone who says we should just have joint winners. Re-running a vote can work if there are three or more entries, two tie for first, and you eliminate the third and, in effect, ask people who voted for the third choice to reconsider. With only two entries in the vote, if you re-ran it, presumably everyone who voted previously would keep their vote the same, so you would in effect be asking the people who didn't care enough to vote at all to decide the outcome.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 06:10:26 PM »
Declaring a tie sounds like the easiest option. The only question is how to handle that in terms of prizes - if both are happy with the contest rules they could decide together, or they could agree to put the money prize to a common cause (like a donation to the forums or to a mutually-agreed charity). Or of course, if one contestant decides they don't want it, the other could just have it. I don't think there's a serious problem with eg. that it'd mean 2 auto-nominations to LOTY2020.

If a re-vote is preferred, I suggest a delay before it takes place, combined with encouraging more people to look at the levels. For example - I didn't vote in this contest because I didn't play that many of the levels. But, if a re-vote was taking place for the finals, I might look at just those two levels and vote for one of them - which even if no one else changed anything, that would give us a tiebreaker. (Of course, there's the chance other people do the same, vote differently from me, and thus we end up with another tie.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 10:48:17 AM »
Declare a tie - if we do a re-vote, the result might be the same as far as we know.  They're both good levels.