Poll

What do you think?

It's okay for the head shake to be 180 degrees
1 (20%)
Keep a 90 degree head shake like other blocker sprites
4 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: [DISC.][PLAYER] Directional high-res Xmas blocker sprite.  (Read 1284 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
[DISC.][PLAYER] Directional high-res Xmas blocker sprite.
« on: January 13, 2020, 10:49:55 PM »
From V12.8.0 onwards, we'll have a change to the blocker sprite to ensure its direction is more visible.

Namely - the blocker will no longer turn his head a full 180 degrees throughout the animation, but instead will turn it only 90 degrees, between "looking towards the camera" to "looking in the direction the lemming is facing".

This change is in place and confirmed for the default sprites, as well as the low-res Xmas sprite. WillLem feels that this doesn't suit the high-res sprite. I think it's strange to have an odd-one out like this (but only to the extent of "I'll vote against it", not to the extent of "I'll veto it").

To be clear - directionality would still be visible via other means, as the high-res blocker also holds a stop sign (default) / candy cane (xmas) on the side he's facing towards. However, this doesn't so clearly indicate direction inherently (the blocker could just as easily be holding the sign / cane behind himself, for all a new player knows; whereas it's much less logical to think he'd face behind himself but not in front) - it's something players would have to learn, but noticeable enough that once learnt, the player could easily spot it. If this proposal was going to destroy directional visibility altogether, it would have been rejected right away when it was proposed.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 10:56:07 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [DISC.][PLAYER] Directional high-res Xmas blocker sprite.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 11:22:35 PM »
My two pennies on the HR Xmas blocker is that the 180 head motion allows for the full swing of the bobble hat, a fun visual feature which I think is worth keeping if only for the HR Chrimbo version :lemcat: