Author Topic: Noob - Help with insallation  (Read 3067 times)

Offline SheepsTooth

• View Profile
Noob - Help with insallation
« on: December 07, 2019, 11:39:47 AM »
Hello all,

newly registered user here but a long time fan of Lemmings from way back when on my old Amiga.  I'm so happy to have found this site and NeoLemmix and I am looking forward to re-kindling my old memories with my son (especially the Christmas and Holidays levels!).

I need some help please - but before I explain, please be aware that I am not all that computer savvy these days, so go easy on me...

I am experiencing problems when using the installer for the latest version.  I select all levels and click on the install button and all seems well until the Doomsday level pack and then I get an error message (every time) saying something about unable to extract from zip file.  Nothing more happens and I must then close the installer.  I am able to manually download level packs and open them with the (incomplete) installed game engine but I've had a couple of error messages about runtime problems or some such thing.

I have tried searching the forums for a solution but I am a little confused if I'm honest.  I would appreciate a nudge in the right direction - or even a blatant slap in the face so I can get up and running and start pulling my hair out once again!

Thanks in advance.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Noob - Help with insallation
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 06:07:10 PM »
Could you tell us exactly what these errors you get while playing say?

I'd think, if the installer got up to the point where it's trying to install level packs, then it's already downloaded and installed the game itself (it always does the game, styles and editor first; then levelpacks afterwards). So these errors likely aren't related to a broken installation - but we should still figure out what's going on.

Since you say you're able to manually download packs, I assume you know how to unzip ZIP files. If it really is a broken NL install, you could try doing a manual install instead of using the installer. You'll need to download these two ZIPs, and extract them to the same folder. The third download here is just a single file, which should be saved to the same folder the ZIPs are extracted to. Make sure the folder you extract them to is not one that requires run-as-admin to write to, as NeoLemmix assumes it can freely create / modify files in its own folder.

NeoLemmix V12.7.3: https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=372
Styles and sound effects, November 2019*: https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=349
(Optional) Level editor V1.17: https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=350

* December 2019 styles update hasn't been released yet. Keep an eye on the Graphic Sets board for the release - Nessy usually posts a ZIP that can be used as an "update"; this ZIP again is just extracted to the same folder as everything else.

For level packs, we encourage creators to ZIP them in such a way that they, too, can simply be extracted to the main folder. However, not every level creator does this, so look at the contents - if the level pack ZIP contains "levels", "styles" etc folders, it extracts to the main NL folder. If it just contains a folder with the pack's name, you'll need to extract it into NL's "levels" folder instead, etc.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline SheepsTooth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 01:02:20 PM »
Hello,

well the installer always stops at this point: "Extracting 7/24: DoomsdayLemmings.002zip" and then an error message box opens stating simply: "Error reading zip file".  from that point on nothing more is installed.

To clarify, the game engine, editor and styles are always installed (as well as a few other folders - replays, music etc.) - it's just the levels that don't install past the Doomsday Lemmimgs pack.  That means that each time I have tried to install with the installer (all level packs selected) when I look in the NeoLemmix levels folder I have only Clammings and Deceit's Lemmings packs present.

I am able to figure out how to download and unpack seperate packs.  As for the error during gameplay (run-time, I believe) - it hasn't happened since I posted yesterday!

Thanks for the help.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 01:14:55 AM »
I looked into this; it seemed to specifically be an issue with the ZIP file of Doomsday Lemmings. 7zip was extracting it fine; but anyway I re-zipped it and all seems well now.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline SheepsTooth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 05:07:30 PM »
Thank you for taking the trouble - it works fine and now I have a nice clean installation.

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 07:32:16 AM »
Once again, it's not working. The problem is that although the file name has a .zip extension, it is actually a 7-Zip file. If you are using 7-Zip to create the file, make sure you are actually selecting "zip" as the archive format; simply using .zip as the file extension isn't enough.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 09:13:11 AM »
Once again, it's not working. The problem is that although the file name has a .zip extension, it is actually a 7-Zip file. If you are using 7-Zip to create the file, make sure you are actually selecting "zip" as the archive format; simply using .zip as the file extension isn't enough.

Goddamnit. I'm aware of this quirk in general, but must have overlooked it on this occasion. The first one was not a case of this though - the ZIP in that case was produced by a custom app using Delphi's ZIP library, same code that produced the (non-problematic) Lemmings Plus ZIPs.

I've reuploaded it, and double-checked (via a hex editor, looking for the right signatures / etc) that the format is correct this time.
My Lemmings projects