Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] ArtLems  (Read 20919 times)

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
[NeoLemmix] ArtLems
« on: January 06, 2020, 03:02:40 AM »
Y'all. IT'S FINALLY HERE!

...or what I actually finished that is. I originally planned there to be 20 levels in each rank, and there are far less than that, but hopefully what I did finish is enjoyable!

For those who don't know, ArtLems is an art/classical music based pack, where each rank attempts to replicate a different art period with music from said era as well. The pack is going to be a lot harder than my other pack SubLems. Each rank has some pretty tough levels in it (except perhaps the first one), and the ranks don't necessary ascend in terms of difficulty (later ranks may have levels much easier than earlier ranks, so feel free to jump around the pack).

I may end up updating this pack with more levels in the future, since I feel bad most of the ranks only have a single digit amount of levels in them, but we'll wait and see.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy!

Download instructions

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zn65f84t78z3u0r/ArtLems_V1.3.zip?dl=1

Extract the ArtLems V1.3 folder to your levels folder.
Extract the artlems folder to your styles folder.
Extract the ArtLems Music folder to your music folder.

Ancient

The earliest period. This is before traditional art like paintings and drawings were around, but the levels will instead focus on ancient civilizations and their architecture, as well as natural environments untouched by mankind. Since there is no recorded music from back then, I've chosen music reminiscent of the various ancient places you visit. Most of these are tutorial levels, but you'll get a few tricky levels by the end. This rank has 16 levels in it.

Byzantine's Temple of the Lion

Medieval

After the fall of the Roman Empire, the Medieval period began. Now we have the means to create paintings and more beautiful structures. Religion is also a large component of the artwork. The levels are designed to either be modeled after Medieval locations or look like simple Medieval artwork. The music features lots of flutes, lutes, and pipes. This rank starts pretty simple, but the last few levels are quite difficult. This rank has 14 levels in it.

Church of Saint Stephen

Renaissance

And now that the Dark Ages are over, we enter the Golden Age of the Renaissance! No longer is the art dreary or bland, but now they are vibrant and full of color! Religious themes are still reflected in the artwork, and the music is more vibrant with a larger selection of instruments. The puzzles here are fairly simple, but elegant at the same time. This rank has a mere 5 levels.

Terramort

Baroque

The Renaissance is over. The Baroque period features more ornate art, with greater detail and emotion. The music has gotten more emotional and deep as well. The puzzles are much more complex than the previous ranks, with many working parts that need to come together. This rank has 6 levels in it.

Playing in the winter

NeoClassical

Now the art has gotten simpler, with strict rules governing how things should look. The music is also a bit more structured, with the piano taking the center stage. The puzzles have gotten trickier still, with some requiring severe thinking to suss out, but they tend to be smaller than the Baroque puzzles. This rank has a mere 4 levels in it.

For Elise

Romantic

Now the art is getting really passionate! Artists are focusing on making their art and music as emotional as possible. The levels are designed to make you feel emotions when you see them. Orchestras are larger than ever before, allowing for loud, complex, and emotional music as well. This rank is the smallest, with only 3 levels in it.

A Night on Lem Mountain

Modernist

The final period. Here I've meshed the remaining art periods after the Romantic period into a single rank. Modern art seeks to experiment with what can be made, regardless of if it looks good or works well. Classical music becomes more atonal to break the rules, and now video game music is used for most levels (to avoid copyright claims on people LPing this). The end of this rank features some of the toughest puzzles I could make. This rank has 10 levels.

Art's Abstraction
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 02:08:09 PM by Colorful Arty »
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] ArtLems
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 03:27:30 AM »
Great looking level pack, a lot of work has gone into this level pack clearly.

Although you did not reach the intended amount of levels, the levels that made it into the pack all look very strong and challenging enough to make for a great playing experience.

Modernist Level 9 seems to not load for me however (Castle of frightful lucidity).
I tried loading it in the editor and it seems to be down to the following being missing.
ichotolot_pieuw_castle/objects/fire_green

EDIT: This is because I did not have the up-to-date styles download, just in case anyone else has this problem.

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 12:45:50 PM »
been looking forward to this pack hope my meagre skills are up to it.

Offline chrisleec728

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 09:45:05 PM »
I've just played through some of the levels and I really like the design as well as some of the musical selections. I have a few comments mainly regarding the latter:

Ancient 2 (The Crypt of Ramses II) honorable track mentions: Any of the Egyptian-themed tracks from various Lemmings games (I actually recently made a playlist of them on YouTube).

Medieval 3 (Morgachov's Golden Manor): Is there supposed to be an ONML track here or something else?

Medieval rank honorable track mentions: Any of the medieval-themed tracks from various Lemmings games as well as Vurez' medieval arrangement used in IchoTolot's Lemmings Reunion.

Renaissance 2 (Oh Lord, my Savior): I'm perplexed as to what Schubert's "Ave Maria" is doing here, as Schubert (as well as Beethoven) was either late Classical or early Romantic (or both).

Baroque rank: Too bad "Vivaldi's Spring Break" didn't make it into the pack as it's the only season not featured.

Baroque 5 (Out of the ashes of hell): It's possible that the "Adagio" often attributed to Albinoni (a Baroque composer) was actually entirely written in the 20th century by Remo Giazzotto, but it may contain enough Baroque-ish elements for it to work here.

Modernist rank: What, no Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" or Schoenbergian atonality?

Modernist 1 (Minimalism): While my favorite version of Arvo Part's "Fratres" is the one for solo violin, string orchestra and percussion, the most "minimalist" version might be the one for string quartet as it contains fewer instruments and notes. (See also: the same composer's "Spiegel im Spiegel".)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 01:26:18 PM by chrisleec728 »

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 12:08:18 AM »
Thanks for bringing this pack to attention.  I don't have much free time nowadays to play levels extensively, but didn't realize this one has music selection taken from the western classical music tradition.  Now I'm a little curious to hear some of the music used.

One unfortunate terminological issue:  in music, neoclassicism actually refers to a 20th-century movement, a kind of modernist take on the classical approach to music.  The older period that it references and that your rank would correspond to (ie. the one featuring such composers as Mozart and Haydn) is simply called "classical" when it comes to music.  Now I do realize you are naming the ranks based on western art periods rather than music, so technically there's nothing wrong.  Of course, you then also have a level title reference to Fur Elise by Beethoven, whose music were generally considered more of a transition from classical to romantic.

But whatever, levels are levels and they look fun. ;P

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 08:49:08 PM »
I downloaded this pack. Very artistic levels. great job.

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 06:23:08 AM »
ok finished the 1st rank(ancient)

here are the replays.

some of the levels were easy, but some were not so easy. Of course for me nothing is easy. I even got 5 of the 10 talismans which were in this rank.

Nice artistic levels(music is ok, not really fond of it though)

on to Medivial rank

Now I'm stuck on level 5(Medieval) If they exchanged the basher for a miner I could solve. Level is too hard for me.

UPDATE: Ok solved level 5(Medieval).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 05:55:44 AM by ericderkovits »

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 06:35:37 PM »
ok, finished the 2nd rank (Medieval). These levels were very hard for me. Probably the hardest was level 12 though. I even got the 2 Talismans in this rank (including level 12).
Probably my favorite level in this rank was level 11 (Church of Saint Stephen).

Anyways here are my replays for the Medieval rank.

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2020, 10:03:48 AM »
ok, The Renaissance rank is finished (only 5 levels in this rank). These levels were quite easy. Only level 4 gave me a little bit of trouble. Still not too difficult.

Here are my replays.

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2020, 03:55:11 AM »
ok, I just want to mention Baroque level 1 is not possible in 12.9.4 as the glider physics is different. I also suspected it.  In 12.94 the glider doesn't land on the terrain to the right after dropping from climbed terrain to the left of it. In 12.82 he does. So I am now using 12.82 for this pack unless Colorful Arty does an update for any
levels that won't work in 12.94. So if anybody wants to play this pack I would suggest 12.82 the latest one in 12.8x

Also Ancient level 11 I had to slightly alter my replay(due to glider physics) in my 12.94 to work with 12.82. Solution is still the same just had to slightly pick when to use the glider.
All the other replays work in both 12.82 and 12.94.

Anyways here is my Baroque level 1 replay(will not work in 12.94 only in 12.8x)

Also included my 12.82 replay of Ancient 11.

Also I got 1 more level in the Baroque rank to try to solve. Level 2. This rank is very difficult. I'm surprised I've solved all the other ones in this rank(outside level 2 which I'm working on)
Definitely level 6 of Baroque is the hardest(I absoluty hate the level). Even after I solved it, it still would take me a long time to repeat it.

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2020, 04:03:59 AM »
ok, I just want to mention Baroque level 1 is not possible in 12.9.4 as the glider physics is different. I also suspected it.  In 12.94 the glider doesn't land on the terrain to the right after dropping from climbed terrain to the left of it. In 12.82 he does.

I played Baroque01 and I totally agree with you that the level is broken after the glider physic patch.
And I also found an (100% sure)backroute to the level.
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2020, 04:11:20 AM »
oh wow, Yeah that would work in 12.94 since you didn't even use the glider in this backroute. I know the intended way will not work in 12.94 as you also agree. Thanks armani for the backroute replay. But I'll still stay with 12.82 since I don't know what other levels may be affected in the following levels that I'm playing(with the glider physics).

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2020, 06:15:11 AM »
ok, I solved level 2 of Baroque, so I'm done with this rank(only 6 levels) and only the 1st level(which had the glider issue) was actually easy for me. The other 5 were hard. But level 6 I think is
too hard, I think that level was too fiddly. So it isn't even a fun level even after solving it. And level 5 was real hard, especially to get the Talisman which I finally was able to do.
My favorite level in this rank was level 4, Playing in the Winter. It was a hard level but it least it wasn't fiddly once solved. Also the level is the biggest in size. But after many tries I solved it.

This rank had 1 Talisman (level 5) which I got.

And I think Arty was right, this pack is harder than his Sublems.

Note: my replay for level 1 will only work in 12.8x(maybe earlier too), but not in 12.9x, due to the glider patch.

Anyways here are my Baroque rank replays.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 06:32:52 AM by ericderkovits »

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2020, 09:43:24 AM »
ok, Neo-Classical rank is done.

Except for level 3(which is a nightmare-also super difficult and super fiddly), the levels were pretty easy.

Level 3 (Fur Elise) I liked the music, but abhored the level. This level to only have 5 builders; That is ridiculous. Should have had maybe 2 more. By far that level is the hardest so far. And it's
not even a fun level.

Also only 1 Talisman in the rank(level 1). The Talisman was easy to get too.

Anyways here are my replays for the Neo-Classical rank(only 4 levels in the rank)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2020, 09:42:42 AM »
Ok, The Romantic Rank is done(only 3 levels).

Of the 3, level 1 took me the longest to figure out, although it was a small and quick level; only a few skills in the level.

My favorite of the 3 was level 2(Flight of the Bumblebee). Not too difficult, although it was the biggest in size of the 3.

Anyways here are my replays for the Romantic Rank

Only 1 more rank to go in the pack