Poll

What shall happen during voting when there is a rule with only 1 level in it?

Let the level pass to the mixed stage.
5 (50%)
Add the level to the rule voting group with the least levels.
5 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: January 14, 2020, 09:04:15 PM

Author Topic: Poll: What shall happen during voting when there is a rule with only 1 level?  (Read 2589 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Initially the 2 levels per person rule was there to counteract too high level counts for contests, as 30+ levels per contest could be too much for some people and level could remain unplayed.

As the entry numbers seem to be quite steady and allowing 1 extra level per person should not catapult this number too much, I've put up this poll to see if people agree to raise the number.

If the number is raised a person can then submit an entry for each of the 3 rules (still only 1 level per rule though ;)).

The poll is active for 7 days. :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 09:04:35 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Poll: Allow 3 entries per person?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 06:22:27 PM »
In favour, but I have a question. When we moved from one rule per contest to three, I was under the impression that this wasn't set in stone for all contests but whoever chose the rules would be at liberty to vary the format. Is this still the case?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 06:25:31 PM »
Put me down as neutral on this one. I don't specifically think there's a pressing need to allow all three; but (as long as entry quantities don't get out of control) I have no objection to it either.

One other thing to take into account is that I've often aimed to make sure at least two of the rules are Lix-friendly, but the third will often be only suitable for NL. Allowing all three might be a disadvantage to Lix players. Counter-argument: Lix entries are extremely rare nowdays anyway.

In favour, but I have a question. When we moved from one rule per contest to three, I was under the impression that this wasn't set in stone for all contests but whoever chose the rules would be at liberty to vary the format. Is this still the case?

Contest rules have always been able to, on a per-contest basis, override the general rules if desired. So I'm guessing this poll is more about deciding what the "normal" situation will be going forward.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 08:26:44 PM »

Contest rules have always been able to, on a per-contest basis, override the general rules if desired. So I'm guessing this poll is more about deciding what the "normal" situation will be going forward.

Yes, it's more the general theme and not set in stone for all contests after that.

When we would get a sudden increase in submitting users I might turn it down to 2 again even so that we don't get that 40 level contest.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 03:39:48 AM »
I think it is obvious I am the reason this whole debate is happening but please let me explain.

As all 3 of my contest entries are in the pack (one is clearly marked as withdrawn and it was for R2)

I felt it was very hard to choose which level to not enter and it lead me to asking why 3 levels cannot be entered, it's nice to at least have the option to enter all 3 rules should I have a situation like this again where all 3 rules were very compatible with the ideas I had.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Alright, another poll regarding the 1 level rule special case we've got right now: Let it pass to the mixed stage or merge it with the smallest remaining rule?

Also, I will try to get the LOTY 2019 nomination phase going around the end of Janurary. :)

The last poll ended 7:1 in favor of allowing 3 entries so that will be allowed in the next contest!

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
In typical lemmingsforums fashion we got a 5:5 split here.

As for this case the level in question is my own, I will put it in another group for the voting so that it will need to get throgh a voting round to advance and nobody can blame me for letting my levels advance for free.