Author Topic: NeoLemmix music  (Read 3245 times)

Offline Metallica

• View Profile
NeoLemmix music
« on: November 24, 2019, 12:20:15 PM »
Hello there, classic (orig) tunes are named by what they come from, for example tim8 - ,,Dance of the Little Swans". Does ohno music also have such names? (I'm looking for the name of Tune4)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix music
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 05:16:25 PM »
It was likely an original composition. While many are taken from classical (or not-so-classical, in a few case) pieces, some are completely original.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 07:23:21 PM »
Hello there, classic (orig) tunes are named by what they come from, for example tim8 - ,,Dance of the Little Swans".

Actually, to be precise, I don't believe the names of the tunes they are based off from ever appear anywhere in the game's data.  The only titles in the game's data are like "tim8".  Some tracks consist of a medley of multiple tunes anyway, so it wouldn't work for the titles to correspond directly to the tunes being based off from.

Anyway, like namida said, as far as we know all 6 OhNo music are original compositions, unlike Lemmings.  (That said, even Lemmings has one or two tunes that are completely original as well.)  Internally there were given the following names/descriptions (note: they may not be in same order as played in the game, so your Tune4 may or may not be the 4th in the list): https://tcrf.net/Oh_No!_More_Lemmings_(DOS)#Sound_Driver_Test_Text

Given that they don't sound like classical or traditional folk tunes (that are too old to be copyrighted), if they are actually based on other tunes they would likely still be under an active copyright, and then I have to think that DMA would've been legally obligated to display the copyright owners somewhere in the game or in accompanying materials like the manual.  Given that no such notices exist it seems to be further evidence that all 6 are original compositions.

Offline Metallica

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 04:27:17 PM »
Thank you very much guys. :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 10:48:33 PM »
Just want to point out that, while the "Oh-No!" soundtrack isn't derived from any older tunes, the tracks do appear to have actual names beyond "Track 1," etc. or whatever level they are first heard in. This information is useful for discussing these tracks I think, because they play in slightly different orders depending on the version. They are as follows:

Track 1 - "Very Cute"
Track 2 - "Wacky"
Track 3 - "Patronizingly Happy"
Track 4 (Amiga/Mac)/Track 5 (ST/DOS) - "Much Joviality"
Track 5 (Amiga/Mac)/Track 6 (ST/DOS) - "Not At All Serious"
Track 6 (Amiga/Mac)/Track 4 (ST/DOS) - "The Smiling Blues"

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 11:19:45 PM »
Just want to point out that... the tracks do appear to have actual names beyond "Track 1," etc.

Cool! Where did you find this info?

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 11:47:33 PM »
I found this info, surprisingly, on a playlist of songs from the Tandy version by VintaGamers Paradise. And it's no surprise it took me so long to find this; the videos have less views than mine somehow, even though it's a relatively well-known channel. After looking further into it, other sources agreed with the names, and I found on the Cutting Room Floor that these are the names given to the tracks in the sound test on the DOS version. Though it does mention that these are more descriptors of the tracks than actual names, they are the closest we have, and they are the only way to identify a song that plays at different times in different versions, other than cumbersomely listing where it is on both sequences.