Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Which levels can be beaten with the new skills?  (Read 49472 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Which levels can be beaten with the new skills?
« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2020, 05:50:31 PM »
The first two are straightforward as you need to go round the outside of the level. On 8, the left side is shorter than the right. 30 is a more optimised nuke solution. Here I basically edited its text file by removing 10 cloner assignments, and voila!

Do you mean opening the replay file as a text file and editing it from there? I'm guessing that's how you achieve pixel-perfect precision in your solutions?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm on the PSP ones tonight and then I'm going to play through a few levels from Nessy's new pack, I haven't played any of his stuff yet and I want to see what his level style is like.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2020, 05:58:59 PM »
Do you mean opening the replay file as a text file and editing it from there? I'm guessing that's how you achieve pixel-perfect precision in your solutions?

Pixel-perfect precision is achieved by pausing and using the "1 frame forwards" and "1 frame backwards" hotkeys. If you're not familiar with these, you should get used to using them -- not only are they often essential for doing challenges in NL, but they make playing levels normally a lot more user-friendly.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2020, 07:12:51 PM »
The first two are straightforward as you need to go round the outside of the level. On 8, the left side is shorter than the right. 30 is a more optimised nuke solution. Here I basically edited its text file by removing 10 cloner assignments, and voila!

Yes, indeed. It is a risky move though and is only recommended if you want to remove unnecessary clutter to your solution, rather than edit the skills' frame and pixel placements, which would otherwise increase your chances of breaking the solution.

10: Down to 6 of each. I thought my method of trapping the lemmings here would be worth watching.

Genius bit of crowd control. Watching this inspired me to have another go at the level. I managed to (just) get it down to 5 of each; I'm not even sure how the last platformer worked because they're not supposed to be usable on a flat surface, it must be something to do with the movement of the fencer.

I had a look and a closer investigation at the last part of your replay under Clear Physics Mode. If you hover the cursor over the fencer, you should see a red spot with a yellow centre, which is where the pixel the lemming is standing on, and therefore where any skill assignment you make will take place on that spot. If you pause and as Proxima mentioned, toggle the frames with these hotkeys, you'll eventually see the spot change positions, unless it's a blocker of course. This also applies to the fencer after it's dug its area. The distance between that spot and where the fencer was placed happened to be short enough that there was an open area to allow the assignment of the platformer. This wouldn't have worked if the stacker was placed further away from the open area. I hope I explained this clear enough.

Still, I'm amazed that you managed to take advantage of these mechanics when nothing looked possible after using up all the shimmiers and walkers. This is definitely one of the most amazing new skill solutions I've ever seen!

I'm on the PSP ones tonight and then I'm going to play through a few levels from Nessy's new pack, I haven't played any of his stuff yet and I want to see what his level style is like.

Sure. I don't mind having a go at the "Other" category.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2020, 05:44:51 AM »
Pixel-perfect precision is achieved by pausing and using the "1 frame forwards" and "1 frame backwards" hotkeys. If you're not familiar with these, you should get used to using them -- not only are they often essential for doing challenges in NL, but they make playing levels normally a lot more user-friendly.

Thanks Proxima, good shout. I have the forwards/backwards framesteps assigned to left/right mouse buttons respectively, plus automatic replay cancel on backstep.

I guess what I'm asking Minim about is his use of the text editor to target very specific frames in a replay. At least, that's what I imagine is happening - I'm just trying to understand more about this method coz I've heard a few people mentioning it.

To be fair, I'm happy with framestepping; as you've quite rightly pointed out, it more than does the job as far as on-the-fly pixel precision goes, and I'm aware of the ability to edit replays as well if a level gets particularly complex.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 03, 2020, 05:58:02 AM »
Yes, indeed. It is a risky move though and is only recommended if you want to remove unnecessary clutter to your solution, rather than edit the skills' frame and pixel placements, which would otherwise increase your chances of breaking the solution.

Haha to be fair I'm still getting used to the idea of being able to framestep and see skill shadows (both fantastic developments to the Lemmings game btw), so I'm not going to be diving into text editors to solve levels anytime soon! I rarely even use clear physics :crylaugh: it's just interesting to learn more about different approaches to the puzzles.

Still, I'm amazed that you managed to take advantage of these mechanics when nothing looked possible after using up all the shimmiers and walkers. This is definitely one of the most amazing new skill solutions I've ever seen!

To be honest, it was a complete fluke discovery - I'd "run out" of walkers and shimmiers and so I just clicked the platformer at that moment to see what would happen. It confused me that it even worked. But yes, I've had a look at the clear physics and I think I see what you mean - the dot rises up by a pixel for a moment, and it's then that it's possible to assign the platformer.

Sure. I don't mind having a go at the "Other" category.

I'll do these as well for sure! Looking forward to it.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 04, 2020, 05:18:23 AM »
As promised, my results for the Other Rank are here, and you'll be pleased to know that they're all possible without requiring an update! Replays for all except 2 and 8 attached in the bundle.
1: 10 of each
2: 0 of each
3: 2 of each
4: 6 of each
5: 7 of each
6: 2 of each
7: 6 of each
8: 2 of each
9: 4 of each
10: 10 of each
11: 3 of each

Also, I decided to go back to Present 6. I managed to find something solvable at last, but not without losing lots of lemmings thanks to the time limit.

I scrapped the Gliders and used walkers first, particularly on areas where they fell the second and third times; and the most I could get was 26.

Following on from this, the next method I tried was using stackers to redirect the lemmings. The right stacker is fine but when you come to do the left stacker it has to be positioned at the bottom of the valley otherwise it will start stacking a pixel lower, therefore wasting some frames trying to complete the redirect. The terrain layout was helpful in that walking the stacker after he completes the seventh stack will ensure that no lems from the opposite side will get trapped. While the stacker was building I used cloners for all the lemmings in front of the 26th, particularly as they fell. With 98 as the requirement I had to click the same button 72 times! With the left stacker positioned differently as well I also had to remember to turn the 26th lemming round to get him home too.

My result is: 72 of each, lost 74.

EDIT: Also confirmed Sunsoft 1 is possible. Really starting to get more creative with those gliders now! Base result is 22 of each, lost 32.

SECOND EDIT: Yet another level I can confirm as possible! Present 15, which can be done with 50 of each, lost 50, and probably my favourite nuke solution of the lot. The process is similar to Sunsoft 1, but the terrain layout is more complex. With the steep drop, I had to use all the gliders again, but I also found a way to create a "chain" of lemmings 1 pixel apart using a cloner. I had to wait until all the lemmings are out before attempting this trick. After getting the latest lemmings into position with walkers and a 98 RR I then simply clicked the cloner when every last lemming hits the wall to create this wonderful chain.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 09:18:33 PM by Minim »
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 05, 2020, 07:37:01 AM »
Also, I decided to go back to Present 6.
---
My result is: 72 of each, lost 74.

Love the method - I upped this to Save 116, 99 of each, lost 83 initially by literally just going nuts with Cloners right near the exit. I'm sure that with very careful editing this could be improved even more by using walkers to turn the cloned Lems around - maybe you could work some text editor magic? ;P

Also confirmed Sunsoft 1 is possible. Really starting to get more creative with those gliders now! Base result is 22 of each, lost 32.

Hmmm this replay didn't work in my NL...

Yet another level I can confirm as possible! Present 15, which can be done with 50 of each, lost 50, and probably my favourite nuke solution of the lot.

This one worked perfectly! How did you manage not to destroy any of the terrain below the exit? ???

I've been playing through some custom packs today; I'll have a look at the Other levels tomorrow.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 05, 2020, 08:04:19 AM »
Also confirmed Sunsoft 1 is possible. Really starting to get more creative with those gliders now! Base result is 22 of each, lost 32.

Hmmm this replay didn't work in my NL...

Maybe I forgot to update the pack. Now it's been updated and hopefully the replay's solution will work.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 07, 2020, 03:30:04 PM »
Results/replays for PSP and Other above.

I think the PSP ones have been the easiest so far, I got through these quite quickly. By contrast, the Other levels have been some of the most cumbersome! I only managed to make one improvement in this lot, so I ended up being a bit liberal with the regular skills for some of these, greyed them out as usual though so just ignore those!

I'm doing a challenge similar to this that involves the use of any skills to get maximum saves in minimum time, if you fancy getting involved it'd be great to see you there.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 09, 2020, 08:45:55 AM »
I also had a quick whizz of the PSP levels. I also did some levels with the criteria reversed because for some levels you only need one lemming. 8-) Here's my set of results. Edit: Forgot to attach some replays.

2: 2 of each, lost 3
3: 2 of each, lost 3
11: 3 of each, lost 1
24: 1 of each, lost 1
28: 1 of each, lost 2
32: 1 of each, lost 3

Now, the comments on PSP levels (And Other 7)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 08:57:11 AM by Minim »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 25, 2020, 07:42:28 AM »
Now that 12.9 is out and we have Jumpers, not to mention the Glider bug fix, shall we do this one again? :lemcat:

EDIT: Hang fire for now, I'm waiting to see what's happening with the official conversions first. If we do do this challenge again, I'd prefer it to be with the fully restored versions of the levels (if only because decorative terrain always proves useful for this challenge!).

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 30, 2020, 09:05:28 AM »
The level attachments are still there, and the discussion for the future of official conversions hasn't been updated for at least 48 hours so I think it's best to leave any graphical changes as is for this challenge thread. The Moss-on-steel bug - which has been mentioned that solutions involving this shouldn't count - has been fixed already, and I don't feel like reverting it back. I'm just trying to keep the number of changes to a minimum whilst remaining as inclusive and fair as possible for everyone. ;)

Looks like we will have to start over again. I'll mention more in my opening post regarding further details on changes.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2020, 09:15:52 AM »
@Minim - I think Proxima is currently preparing a conversion for Challenge purposes. It's probably worth waiting for these, as they will likely feature some restoration of the decorative terrain.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2020, 09:23:34 AM »
@Minim - I think Proxima is currently preparing a conversion for Challenge purposes. It's probably worth waiting for these, as they will likely feature some restoration of the decorative terrain.

Agreed. Thanks for updating me on this. I think this is the post you meant. Somehow it seemed to be obscured by all the later posts on that thread. :-\

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 30, 2020, 05:52:30 PM »
Yeah, ignore that little bit of squabble! Proxima will do a great job at maintaining the packs, I'm sure. And, ultimately, it's way more important that we're all talking about the same packs when we do challenges.