Author Topic: [Player][BUG?] end of pack message displayed before postview screen for level  (Read 2029 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
I was playing Covox Mayhem 2 for the challenge thread (select that level directly, not having played any of the other Covox levels, in case that matters), and after completing the level, it first displays the end of pack congrats message ("Congratulations! You are truly an excellent lemmings player" etc.), and then after clicking through, it displays the postview screen for the level.

This seems backwards?  I don't know what the original game does, but I kind of expect to see the postview screen first, and then the end of pack congrats message after clicking through to "next level".  Though I suppose it kind of works either way. :-\

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
The original game, if I remember correctly, replaces the postview screen altogether.

NeoLemmix also has no concept of an "end of pack" message as such; only an "end of level" message. In most use cases where it matters (which are a minority in the first place, I'd believe), it would make more sense to have the postview text before the postview screen rather than after it; though I certainly don't feel strongly enough about this to say "this cannot change" (aside from technical considerations, where the much easier option is "leave it as is").
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
NeoLemmix also has no concept of an "end of pack" message as such; only an "end of level" message.

Ah, so that's what it was; I was confused when I can't seem to find the text anywhere in the files I looked, didn't think to look in the level itself.

If it was intended to be tied to the level, and had always been displayed before the level's postview screen, then it's probably best to leave this existing behavior alone.  An "end of pack" message is really more of a separate feature anyway compared to the level-specific postview text.  For one, since you can play the levels in any order, a true "end of pack" message should really only be displayed when you have completed all the levels for example.