Author Topic: DireKrow's Playthroughs & Reviews  (Read 15179 times)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
Re: DireKrow's Playthroughs & Reviews
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2020, 09:37:31 PM »
Yeah it probably wouldn't be that good a level if you see the exit but I really liked this level when the exit was invisible, I have a good tactic for exploration type levels is what you do is flood the place with lemmings. (Get lemmings bashing climbing over, things, digging, look for the open spaces as the clue was in the title) (Episode X the phantom exit) I did that at first and found the exit quickly, it made a break as the other levels felt more puzzle wise but that's lemmings. I like Mazulems, it's a really good pack. My Dad still has to complete this one, my Dad got to the china syndrome level back in the earlier days of this pack.

If it was the crystal maze that would be your mystery game or level, (Episode X the phantom exit)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2020, 10:57:29 PM »
MazuLems is turning out to be an awesome pack, looking at these reviews. I was put off it quite early by a massively difficult level: would anyone be up for doing a MazuLems Redux which re-orders the levels into general difficulty order? This might be a good idea for this pack...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 06:00:09 AM by WillLem »

Offline DireKrow

• Noisy Crow
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2020, 12:01:15 AM »
Holiday Lemmings Plus — Part 1 (Review)

Holiday Lemmings Plus is the christmas themed entry into namida's Lemmings Plus series. Although it's a small pack of only 12 levels, it's significant as one of the first packs to feature the new skills in NeoLemmix. The swimmer, platformer, stacker, glider, stoner, walker and cloner all make an appearance here. It starts quite easy, but apparently the last couple of levels are real doozies.

I played through all 6 levels in the Glimmer rank. This one will be a review, distinct from my Mazu playthrough. The full playthroughs with all of the screenshots and me describing my thought process as I go takes a lot of work, so I've decided it's not realistic to do that for every pack I play. Instead, some packs will just be these reviews, where I'll write up my thoughts on each level after I played them. Maybe I'll mix the two formats occasionally as well - I'm still figuring things out - but we'll see how it goes.

Review:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Overall, Holiday Lemmings Plus is off to a good start. It's easier than I was expecting, considering the creator listed it as being harder than Lemmings Plus I, but that's not a bad thing. For the most part, it maintains the tight and focused feel that I really enjoyed about the puzzles in LPI. Also for reference, this is only the 2nd finished pack (after Lemminas) I'm playing that includes any of the new skills. Keen to get into more of that.

Replays attached.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 05:11:33 AM by DireKrow »
LOTY 2020 Winner
My NeoLemmix Levels: The Krow Files (File A v1.2 released 21-Feb-2020)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2020, 12:40:37 AM »
In its current form, that hidden exit level is probably a prime example of the kind of level that would cement a strong dislike of hidden stuff for some people here, in case people are still wondering how that might've come about.

Do you mean the remix level I posted or the original one...?

The original one.  Edited post to clarify.

Not that I think it will make a big difference if the multiple exits are all truly invisible rather than just buried.  Truly invisible exits are not expected given that there are no invisible elements in the original games (whereas buried stuff are at least present from time to time), plus the player is prone to accidentally missed them (particularly in the buried case if they are also invisible) due to taking out too much terrain that the exit's trigger no longer sits on any ground.  Relying on the title to mean anything is dicey at best; plenty of official levels feature titles that are nothing more than clever puns or random pop-culture references, with little to no relation to whatever's in the actual level.  (And it had been confirmed from Mike Dailly's online writings on history of Lemmings that indeed, many level titles are just that, no hidden meanings in relation to the actual levels.)  A player who read the level's title could still believe it's just about exits being buried rather than literally invisible, something that never occurred in any of the official games.

Offline DireKrow

• Noisy Crow
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2020, 05:11:06 AM »
Lemmings Plus II — Part 1 (Review)

Lemmings Plus I was the first finalized, non-DMA level pack that I completed. It's an achievement I'm actually quite proud of, but only the first step on a long journey to play through as many of the level packs out there that I can. But even before considering the World Tours and Destinations of the Lemmings community, LPI itself is only the first entry in a long series. Many more levels await.

Lemmings Plus II is the second mainline entry in namida's Lemmings Plus series. It still uses the classic eight skills that LPI did, but wraps it up with a set of completely original styles. To my knowledge, this was actually one of the first - if not the first - packs ever to build levels entirely out of custom graphics (EDIT: on a DOS-based Lemmings Engine). What an exciting piece of Lemmings history!

I actually wanted to play the Lemmings Plus series in chronological order, however namida strongly recommended I skip a couple to get to the packs featuring new skills. In the end I settled on a compromise where I'll continue with II and III as intended, while simultaneously playing through Holiday, then Omega, to get a taste for the new skills. The best of both worlds! I thoroughly enjoyed LPI and LP3D, so I've been pretty excited to do LPII.

This first update, consisting of the first half of Nice rank, contains a lot of easy X-all-skills levels that aren't overly interesting. I may actually do playthroughs rather than reviews of later levels in this pack. For the first rank or two, though, I do plan to keep things brief.

Simple start. Bit too easy for me overall, but with some really nice talismans. I think if I had returned from a break, or just wasn't in the mood for a challenge, I'd be appreciating the gradual ramp a lot more. I don't mind. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this all goes.

Replays attached.

---

I have already solved Mazu 13-15. I just need to do the writeups and image editing. Expect the next update for that sometime tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 05:35:52 AM by DireKrow »
LOTY 2020 Winner

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2020, 05:33:46 AM »
To my knowledge, this was actually one of the first - if not the first - packs ever to build levels entirely out of custom graphics like this. What an exciting piece of Lemmings history!

Very likely the first full pack with custom graphics for a DOS Lemmings-based engine (although I think there were custom VGASPECS, i.e. individual custom-graphics levels, before this). But custom graphics had a lot of history on engines that were more receptive to them, especially Cheapo.

Offline DireKrow

• Noisy Crow
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2020, 12:38:59 AM »
MazuLems — Part 5 (Playthrough)

MazuLems 13 - Lemming in a Cone

MazuLems 14 - Mastermined

MazuLems 15 - The Leap from the Lion's Head

« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 01:03:46 AM by DireKrow »
LOTY 2020 Winner

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2020, 01:10:58 AM »
"Mastermined" might be the first level ever to use the trick of turning a miner with a blocker. I suspect that Martin didn't realise that you can just assign the blockers inside the miner tunnel; you were meant to drop floaters through the gaps in the top platform, have them climb up and block under the spouts of the flamethrowers. This only requires two blockers, explaining the 48/50 save requirement (although 100% is possible by releasing the blockers afterwards).

Very nice review of "Lion's Head". Despite not being a great level, that was a really entertaining read :thumbsup: