Author Topic: Level Solving Contest #6  (Read 7998 times)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
Level Solving Contest #6
« on: November 10, 2019, 06:00:02 PM »
Roll up, roll up for the first contest since neutral lemmings were revealed!  How good are you at saving apathetic civilians on the brink of a zombie apocalypse?!

I'm going to try something a bit different this time... there will be two categories.
----

Category 1 - Speed

Primary: Time taken to save the required number of lemmings.
Secondary: Number of lemmings saved.
Tertiary: Number of skills used.

Category 2 - Conservation

Primary: Number of skills used.
Secondary: Number of lemmings saved.
Tertiary: Time taken to save the required number of lemmings.

----

Note... this level uses neutral lemmings, so you will need the most recent release of NeoLemmix to play it.

----

To judge the speed category, I'll be looking at the time displayed in the stats screen, and for the conservation category, I'll be looking at the number of assignments in the replay file.

----

Deadline for this contest will be Sunday, 1st December 2019 at 23:59 GMT.  When submitting replays, make sure you specify clearly which category it's for.  Above all, enjoy yourself!

----

Submissions for speed category:

* Minim
* Nessy
* möbius

Submissions for conservation category:

* Minim
* Nessy
* möbius
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 09:32:43 PM by Crane »

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: Level Solving Contest #6
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 06:33:41 AM »
I hope I'm not breaking the rules, but given this is the first contest level to include neutral lemmings (and zombies) I'll give a straight-away hint to make sure players know what they're doing.

The lemming with blue hair, white skin and green body is the only lemming that can be controlled. It's situated on the central platform to the left side of the steel pit of neutral lemmings. Grey bodies are neutral lemmings, and grey skins are zombies. The latter two cannot be controlled.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 02:14:16 PM »
That's fine to explain that. No worries. The screen is mostly centred on the lemming you can control as well. There are other hints like the skulls on the trapdoors.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 10:42:29 AM »
Less than a week left and I've only got player's submission so far.  Get them in quickly!

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 11:49:32 PM »
Last day! Get them in!

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 10:18:44 PM »
So the results are in.

Speed:

:tal-gold: 4:36.12 - Minim
:tal-silver: 7:29.18 - Möbius
:tal-bronze: 7:39.00 - Nessy

Conservation:

:tal-gold: 31 - Minim
:tal-silver: 35 - Nessy
:tal-bronze: 68 - Möbius

Minim absolutely blew everyone out of the park on the speed category.  Certainly shocked me!  Incredible effort!  All the replays can be found in the attached ZIP, along with some more complete metrics.

Congratulations Minim - you get to choose the next contest.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 08:47:42 AM »
Well, thanks to everyone who had a go. I have to say it was an incredibly annoying level, so very well done to everyone who made it, and commiserations to everyone who didn't. Also gotta congratulate the zombies; They gave it their all to give every innocent lemming a hard time here. >:(

I'm switching over to Lix for the next contest level. There is one aspect I found that we haven't covered yet. I'm also hoping that I can tie in a multiplayer session in between dates as a way to encourage more players to take part.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 10:54:46 PM »
This was a lot of fun. At first I was very daunted by the level because I'm not well adjusted to the new stuff. But after a little playing it actually became a lot simpler than I thought. Watching the others' replays made me realize a lot of simple things I overlooked.

I admit there were a couple of things about the level which annoyed me, but on  a whole I liked it actually, and felt well suited to this challenge.

One of the annoying things was the worker being a glider; this seemed to be nothing more than a nuisance and never actually helpful. The other thing was what to do about the exit area and how to clear out the zombies (or prevent them from going in there quickly, which is what I did but found out in the end not necessary). This was in part due to zombie hit detection being quite unforgiving in some circumstances imo.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 07:23:36 PM »
If this level is ever re-released, I agree that having the lemming be a Floater rather than a Glider will be better.