Author Topic: Question about L2 Medieval terrain piece / object - "The Claw"  (Read 2583 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Question about L2 Medieval terrain piece / object - "The Claw"
« on: November 07, 2019, 11:23:31 AM »
ccexplore just made me aware of this page, which, in the subsection for Lemmings 2: The Tribes, lists the claw from the Medieval tileset as a trap.

I think I've never actually seen that in action in any of the L2 Medieval levels? In IchoTolot's LP, the lemmings just walk past beneath the claw safely.

In NeoLemmix, this claw is a regular terrain piece anyway.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Question about L2 Medieval terrain piece / object - "The Claw"
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 12:57:06 PM »
In the original levels, the claw was never used as a trap (only decorational) and in the png packs from which I converted the tilesets to NL the claw was also packed with the terrain tiles. As I never saw the claw in action in any video and it was used purely as decorative terrain I never doubted this.

Maybe the site's list is wrong here.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 02:02:24 PM »
Yeah, fairly sure it was a mix-up with the site's list of traps.  Even in the solutions the site featured for some of the levels where the claw is right on the path, no action is taken to get past it so it would suggest it is harmless.

As I recall, in the Lemmings 2 game engine, any terrain piece can be used in the level either as real terrain, or as decorative element that physically acts like air.  (Note: don't remember whether the claw is decorative that way or not.  For reference, Shadow tribe features quite a number of this kind of decorative elements.)  In almost all cases though, the game is very consistent in its official levels, and doesn't use a piece that has been used as real terrain everywhere for decoration instead even for a single level, and vice versa.  Whoever did the styles for NeoLemmix though probably just ported everything as terrain, which would especially make sense if it was done programmatically to rip the terrain from the Lemmings 2 game itself.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 08:07:23 AM »
Yeah, the claw is terrain, it's a mistake on the page.

Long time ago I wrote a tool to rip all the L2 graphics, and you can see what is what (see attached). The claw doesn't have any animation (and doesn't appear in the objects list), but appears as terrain.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 01:00:33 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, guys! :thumbsup:

Looks like I've discovered some "Lemming Fake News"... :evil:
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels