Author Topic: Sandbox Games  (Read 5299 times)

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
Sandbox Games
« on: June 26, 2020, 02:12:33 AM »
Sandbox games are one of my favourite genre of video game. I’ve played Minecraft, Terraria (My favourite), and a bit of Stardew Valley. (Not sure if that’s exactly and sandbox game but it has some elements of one) Terraria is my absolute favourite video game of all time and I’d thought I’d share it with everyone. While you can share your favourite sandbox games and why. The reason I love Terraria is just the sheer amount of stuff you can do. In my eyes it’s sort of a sandbox, boss rush kind of game which is an interesting combination of genres. I’m currently playing through the game with a mod called the calamity mod and I’m not the final boss Supreme Calamitas Who has a whopping 5 MILLION health on normal mode. That’s the easiest mode! Imagine her on the hardest mode. (Which is part of the calamity mod) death mode. I play Minecraft sometimes but I just don’t like how when you die you lose everything. Some people say if you were to not lose everything upon death there would be no challenge but that could be up for debate.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: Sandbox Games
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 03:44:49 PM »
About a week ago I purchased and downloaded "Trailmakers" for the PS4, one of this year's games which i think fits into this category. This is all about creating vehicles for travel on different surfaces, whether it'd be a car, helicopter, boat or submarine etc.

Most of the races though are on land and sometimes up in the air (Though the plane's controls are extremely sensitive, I can never get through those checkpoints >:() Otherwise, the main campaign is to collect vehicle parts into UFOs, which sounds simple. However, because their world is so big and there are so many parts, it's a very long thought provoking campaign indeed.

But still, I've always wanted a replica of an experience like Gadget Racers (Choro Q3 I think it's called), one of my absolute favourite games from the PS2, which has these sorts of things, and I think I might have just found it here at last, 17 years on. 8-)
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 06:29:34 PM »
I play Minecraft sometimes but I just don’t like how when you die you lose everything. Some people say if you were to not lose everything upon death there would be no challenge but that could be up for debate.

If this bothers you, there's a command to change this:

/gamerule keepInventory true

I believe having cheats enabled is required for this, but it's not like the game punishes you or anything for having access to those commands (or using them, for that matter). I don't really like how it's classified as a cheat, because really it's a difficulty option, but that's just semantics.

I usually use that and /gamerule mobGriefing false, which disables things like Enderman moving blocks around and Creepers destroying blocks.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 06:01:25 PM »
If this bothers you, there's a command to change this:

/gamerule keepInventory true

I believe having cheats enabled is required for this, but it's not like the game punishes you or anything for having access to those commands (or using them, for that matter). I don't really like how it's classified as a cheat, because really it's a difficulty option, but that's just semantics.
Not on Bedrock Edition, and since the latest update not on the Java Edition either. :) You can just activate it during world creation.

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 11:56:39 PM »
I actually play Minecraft on mobile while I play my other main sandbox game, Terraria, on my Laptop. I am aware that you can change it so you always keep inventory after death and I do use that setting. I’ve never actually beaten Minecraft before but I hope I’ll be able to do it one day.

On the other hand. I’ve beaten Terraria a few times and even beaten with the calamity mod with its final boss having 5 million health and doing like half your health per hit. (Took me two whole months to finally beat her) right now I’m doing an expert mode playthrough and I’m preparing to fight the wall of flesh (If you don’t know Terraria then I’ll explain that the wall of flesh is a boss that is the end of what players call “pre-hardmode” or essentially the first part of the game while after the wall it activates “Hardmode” on your world with stronger enemies, tougher bosses, more items etc.) By the way I know I’ve mentioned Supreme Calamitas quite a bit but it’s just one of those boss fights that’s really hard to get over. I was really caught off guard by her sheer difficulty and before fighting her I knew she was notorious for being hard but I didn’t expect her to take me THAT long.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 08:31:14 PM by Shmolem »

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 03:22:27 AM »
Here’s something up for debate: Skeletons are the most annoying enemy in Minecraft. Change my mind.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 10:56:14 AM »
I wonder if the Story of Seasons series (formerly Harvest Moon) would be considered sandbox?

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 05:43:33 AM »
I took a quick look at it and from what I gather it sounds to me like you can do anything that you want to do with the game and it doesn’t necessarily have a certain path, you can probably build things to how you like them to be, and you just have freedom to do what you want. So that’s probably what I would consider “Sandbox”