Author Topic: Sort tilesets by alphabetical order  (Read 2734 times)

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
Sort tilesets by alphabetical order
« on: October 30, 2019, 06:50:58 PM »
The ordering of the tilesets is still dependant on the name of the author although in the editor only the name of the tileset is shown. For me ordering the tilesets alphabetically by their name would help to find tilesets.
But I don't know if anyone else is used to the current ordering.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Sort tilesets by alphabetical order
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 06:56:40 PM »
Yeah, this is a problem. I never made a new button class for these, nor did I reorder.

We can reorder by tileset name alphabetically.

Alternatively, we can add the author, e.g., in darker text above the bright tileset name. But the author is a weak criterion anyway, therefore I'd rather reorder by tileset name.

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 07:13:38 PM »
For comparison, NeoLemmix implementation: The user can have a "styles.ini" file that specifically tells NL what order to put styles in; it can also set user-friendly names for them that differ from the folder names. If this file is absent, or for any style not listed in it (in this latter case, unlisted styles are always after the listed styles), the remainder are sorted alphabetically by style name. (With this being said, in NL, almost all style names are in turn prefixed with the author name though, so this essentially becomes sort-by-author. There's a few that are instead prefixed with "orig" or "ohno", as well as three that are not prefixed, two of which are special-cases - "default" and "special" - and one of which comes from an official game that only has one style - "xmas".)

NeoLemmix ships with a styles.ini file that contains most styles anyway. Here's a copy of the default.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 02:09:05 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 06:29:39 PM »
This is now github issue #394.

Re ordering file: We have these ordering files for level directories. Ordering file even worked out-of-the-box in the tileset directory before I flattened the tree listing to show all tilesets in a flat list. It seems overkill for this listing of ~20 tilesets that all fit on a single screen.

Re fit on a single screen: This dovetails into Icho's complaint that open tileset browser should not obscure the map. Solution for that is best left to standalone editor application with OS-native GUI, but I don't have time to write such an editor.

-- Simon