Author Topic: Lemmings World Tour Remastered [New-Formats Version] [Difficulty: Medium]  (Read 41728 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings World Tour Remastered [New-Formats Version] [Difficulty: Medium]
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2020, 05:14:54 PM »
Icho and Strato, you two are welcome :P Oh, and this is definitely very gold talisman worthy. I say add it in! :thumbsup: Very fitting difficult challenge for the epic final level of LWT! ;) I should be awarded for my efforts in some way, too

Personally, I don't really care for talismans I must say. I rather don't bother with all the excessive scrolling (as that really annoyed me as well in that level) and save myself a few hours I can spend on other stuff if it's not needed to solve the level. ;P

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2020, 06:13:42 PM »
I don't care for talismans either. It's just that Strato speculated that a 100% solution to Groupie 40 might be possible, which was why the level doesn't have one, and I wanted to lay to rest that speculation :P I decided to go back and try and find such a solution, since it was one that I thought should be doable for one such as myself, even though I was very reluctant to replay the level, since I was very annoyed with the excessive scrolling one has to do in the level. Otherwise, if it's one which I think is beyond my ability to get, I simply don't bother and won't even attempt getting the talisman. The only way I will get them is if I "accidentally" get one while solving where I didn't even know there was one for the level, as once I complete a level and didn't unlock one, I generally will not go back to get them. Of course, this isn't really a problem in New Formats, since it's already displayed on the preview screen, but even then I generally don't bother with them.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2020, 09:29:30 PM »
I already congratulated you in the Old-Formats thread ;) , so I'm just posting here to say that of course, the talisman has also been added to the New-Formats version. And to list the other changes that came with this small next update (these are the same changes as in the Old-Formats version).

Changelog (click to show/hide)

Adding this talisman particularly in New Formats was a little bit difficult, because as I mentioned again recently, the New-Formats editor can't actually display the entirety of "The Grand Puzzle", which is why I didn't risk opening it in the new editor
(at least not to make any changes to it that I actually intended to save, like adding this talisman).

In Old-Formats, talismans were added in the Flexi Toolkit that compiled the levels to a pack; in New-Formats, talismans can be added to each individual level file, but that meant for "The Grand Puzzle" specifically, I had to do it by manually editing the talisman into the text file.

This was generally easy enough
- I just took another New-Formats level text file from LWT containing a talisman as an example.

The only thing that was slightly confusing to me was the talisman ID. The example level I picked, "The Great Level of Indifference" from the Amateur rank, had ID 7 for its talisman.
In contrast, in the Old-Formats Flexi Toolkit, every talisman had a hexadecimal code, as far as I could see.

So I assume talisman IDs are just counted chronologically in New Formats?

I arbitrarily set the talisman ID for "The Grand Puzzle" to 20, even though there are only 11 talismans in total now. If the talismans need to be counted chronologically, this gives me a little bit of headroom in case I want to add further ones later on.

As far as I can tell, it seems to work, but of course, the New Formats player won't respond with "You unlocked a talisman!" if I just run kaywhyn's 100% solution over the level :P , as the Old-Formats player does (since it wasn't able to distinguish between different players' solutions yet).

There is one downside to this talisman having been added now, of course: Anyone who managed to get all LWT talismans before will now suddenly be faced with the what I considered to be impossible task of saving everyone on the final level. :evil:

But at least when comparing it directly to my solution, surprisingly it wasn't actually too far off from what I did. It would probably be comparatively easy to adapt my solution to make it a 100%er, too, now that I know the crucial difference.

And as I said in the Old-Formats thread, it's not what kaywhyn thought it is :P (I'm just cross-posting in the following what I said in the Old-Formats thread):

Groupie 40 (click to show/hide)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2021, 11:33:53 PM »
Finally noticed the update and resolved the levels. ;)

Groupie 40 is possible to 100% even with a spare builder as it seems.

What is still bothering me: Noisemaker 15 and Diva_24 still have the same level ID. It would be nice if one would get a new ID.

I still suspect a few backroutes in Groupie though.

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2021, 11:50:18 PM »
Nice job on that 100% solution to the last level, IchoTolot! :thumbsup:

The other three are sadly still partly backroutes. I didn't expect anyone to actually use the steel on Groupie 05 for something - I just put it there to cover the trigger of that second, rotated exit. (In the original version of the level, it was a fake exit, put there merely for decorative purposes. I think this is how it was done in Old-Formats Lemmings Migration as well.)

And I still have kaywhyn's replays to watch, so looks like at least one giant update will be due some time in the future. When I finally get to do that, I will renew the ID for Diva 24, thanks for pointing that out! ;)

Maybe I can create the new ID in the Old-Formats version and then copy it over into the text file of the New-Formats version... if I make a random one in both versions, the New-Formats version won't recognise the replays from the Old-Formats version of that particular level and give a warning that the replay seems to refer to a different level...
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2021, 11:50:40 AM »
Next update is attached to the starting post! :) This includes fixes to the Rockstar and Legend rank.

I haven't looked at any of kaywhyn's replays from the earlier ranks yet - the Rockstar fixes were more urgent, since that's where Arty is going to pick up his Let's Play again.

Given that he had already played that far, though, as well as with Flopsy's LP up to the end of Amateur (I think I also still got some replays from him well into the Professional rank), these earlier ranks have been much more tried and tested, so I don't expect that many further backroutes on those. And if so, then maybe some that are so obscure that only an adept level solver such as kaywhyn himself found them, but nobody who came before him. ;)

As for IchoTolot's semi-backroutes to those three Groupie levels - they might just have to remain this way. I still don't see any reliable ways to prevent them.

NOTE: This is not for the current 12.11 Release Candidate version of NeoLemmix yet. I have taken note of the levels that broke for those who already played this pack using the RC build, but I will not make any changes to the levels based on that until the RC is released as the new stable version, so all the changes are in fact set in stone.

I hope the level "In the shadows" on the Rockstar rank won't break for good based on the new Swimmer physics changes. The Swimmer has been around for such a long time that it's the last skill I'd have expected to go through any physics changes. :(
My packs so far:

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2021, 03:26:21 PM »
Resolved every broken replay after the fixes. Replays attached. :)

Noisemaker 15 and  Diva_24 still have the same level ID! :devil:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2021, 05:22:04 PM »
Ah, I had in fact changed the level ID for Diva 24, but then I apparently forgot to add the updated level file to the new ZIP download. XD Fixed now!

Interestingly, the two levels already did have different IDs in Old Formats. Only in New Formats did they still have the same one.

I guess I must have made the first change after the conversion. So I copied the level ID from the Old-Formats version for Diva 24 the best I could (that level ID actually was shorter, so the New-Formats editor added a bunch of zeroes at the beginning).
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2021, 10:09:18 PM »
Attached to the starting post is a small update containing backroute fixes for Rockstar 04 and Rockstar 07, as well as level fixes to make the pack playable with the latest change in Swimmer physics.

My packs so far:

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2021, 05:40:08 PM »
I updated my replays. :)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2021, 06:04:23 PM »
And I missed to redo "Holy Diver" :P

Attached the new solution. Also you could use a swimmer hatch here as everybody needs to swim anyway. Would save the player 20-swimmer assignments. ;)

Offline Apjjm

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 14, 2021, 01:40:41 AM »
I've started playing through this pack - I have attached my replays of the first two ranks so far.

Really enjoying the theme of the pack & music :thumbsup: - great job with this! Even in the early ranks there are some relatively tricky ones. I also really like how well the levels and titles match up given the theming.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 01:47:53 AM by Apjjm »
My Level Packs: Quartet

Offline Apjjm

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 22, 2021, 10:53:43 PM »
Professional rank completed - replays attached.

Overall this was another statisfying rank solve, especially the levels that got me stuck. There were a few levels that did feel a bit too big in places (e.g. level 34).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Looking forward to next rank :thumbsup:
My Level Packs: Quartet

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2021, 03:09:59 PM »
Glad you're enjoying it! :thumbsup: Given how the situation here in Germany suggests we're going to spend a lot more time at home again soon, I'll probably have more time to delve into Lemmings again, too. Your replays are on my list now - I still haven't finished watching kaywhyn's commentary of Lemmicks yet, though.
My packs so far:

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2021, 03:56:35 PM »
Glad you're enjoying it! :thumbsup: Given how the situation here in Germany suggests we're going to spend a lot more time at home again soon, I'll probably have more time to delve into Lemmings again, too. Your replays are on my list now - I still haven't finished watching kaywhyn's commentary of Lemmicks yet, though.

Yes, I've noticed you stopped commenting after 5 video parts of the Lemmicks level solving commentary :P However, I do understand that you're busy and might had been into other video games for the past several months. After all, life isn't all about Lemmings despite everyone, or at least most, here being a fan of this iconic game from 30 years ago. So, not a problem at all, as they haven't gone anywhere, they'll be waiting right there indefinitely on my YT channel ;)

Sorry to be adding more to your Lemmings list to watch again soon, but just as a heads up I will likely be starting an LP of New Formats LWT in the coming weeks. I figured this pack of yours would be a great way to round off 2021, and what better way than to take a tour around the world with a fictional Lemmings band :laugh: I know that you will be looking forward to this very much, especially since my LP will be the very first for the New Formats version :thumbsup: I also figured that far more than enough time has passed since I completed the Old Formats version of LWT (pretty much more about a year since I finished it) and hence it would be a great time to take up LPing this. Also, more than enough time has passed since I've seen Colorful Arty's LP of it (a little over half a year), though I haven't watched the beginning up to the final part before his 2 year hiatus from LPing the pack. Instead, I've watched all the parts starting from when he finally came back to finish the LP. I'll likely do so after I finish my playthrough :P
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0