Author Topic: Lemmings World Tour Remastered [New-Formats Version] [Difficulty: Medium]  (Read 41722 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings World Tour Remastered [New-Formats Version]
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2020, 03:20:21 PM »
Solved 10 more levels today.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2020, 04:04:15 PM »
And another 10 so that Rockstar is half completed now.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2020, 11:44:52 AM »
Thanks, IchoTolot! :thumbsup: I'm relieved to say that there are barely any backroutes among these, and generally much fewer than I anticipated! Given that you seem to be the first person who plays the Rockstar levels (and also one of our most skilled level solvers), I believe that's a good sign!

Disclaimer: I generally don't consider a level backrouted if a) the player got close to the intended solution, but was just slightly more efficient in skill use than me, i.e. has a couple of leftover skills that don't really matter all too much in the grand scheme of things, or b) a player does find a completely different route than the intended one, but still uses all or almost all of the skills (that is what I call a valid alternative solution, because it still arose from and is subject to the same restrictions, in terms of terrain and skills provided, as the intended solution).

With this set of criteria (some may be stricter about enforcing their intended solutions), there are only two backroutes in the Rockstar rank: One minor one which could still also qualify as an alternative solution, if I didn't like the intended solution so much that I do feel the need to enforce it :P . That's on the level "Highway to Hell". Containing the crowd shouldn't be quite as easy as it was for you, but this is something a little steel can solve.

The second backroute, which is a more severe one, was on "Under bergets rot". The lemmings are still supposed to go through the mountain, not around it on the outside. Typical case of the Stoner being overpowered again. I still have to think about how I can fix this.

At the moment, you seem to be solving these levels faster than I can fix them, even if there are only few that I need to fix :-[ ... so prepare for one major update sometime soon, instead of several minor ones. I do want to add some further recoloured sprites to some of the geography levels, as well as expanding the pre-level hints on the Noisemaker rank a little to make them fulfil their purpose as tutorial levels for these tricks a little more (since this was one criticism you correctly brought up). Especially "Glide and joy" and "Rock, paper, scissors" can end up being unintentional roadblocks for newer players, because the hints the pre-level texts give about the tricks to be used here are too vague.

The pre-level texts are of course also going to be changed in the Old-Formats version (which I continue to maintain for the sake of the Radiation and Slowfreeze levels in their original form). The sprite recolouring, meanwhile, of course will only happen in New Formats.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2020, 09:42:07 PM »
The update has been uploaded to the starting post! Please make sure to download the entire folder again, since I've changed the sprites on several of the levels to include my various recolourings (English, Irish, Soviet, Asian, African, Indian etc.). The tileset strato_generalmd now also comes as part of that unified ZIP folder, so you have all wrapped nicely in one place!

I've also used the opportunity to place "disjointed" versions of the ONML Rock Lizard and Bubble Lightning traps in my strato_generalmd tileset (meaning just the lizard's head, without the eye as a secondary animation, and just the dot that creates the lightning). Those were required for the Groupie level "Not the incended solution", to make it look like the Old-Formats version again. Also generally a good thing to have for all my animal-trap needs! :P

Level-wise, the changes are the same as in the Old-Formats versions:

- two backroute fixes each on the Diva rank ("Wrecking ball" and "Total eclipse of the builders") and Rockstar rank ("Highway to Hell" and "Under bergets rot"), with "Under bergets rot" still being somewhat vulnerable (the intended solution, as it turned out to me, was too over-complicated to begin with, so that there will most likely always be an easier way out... :-[ )

- extended pre-level hints on "Glide and joy" and "Rock, paper, scissors" on the Noisemaker rank. The tricks are now actually explained, rather than just hinted at. Especially "Glide and joy" (Noisemaker 08) was probably an early roadblock for any new player who might have attempted this pack. I went to great lengths to enforce using that specific trick there, which raised the level's difficulty - but in the end, it's just supposed to teach that trick, so hopefully it will be a lot easier now! ;)

- steel added to Noisemaker 11 to prevent digging behind the hatch on the right (this is a minor loophole I found myself that allowed bypassing the central trick at the beginning of the level, even though it still had to be used again at the end of the level). Now the central trick is enforced in both level halves.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2020, 08:32:47 PM »
I resolved the levels. :)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2020, 02:06:31 AM »
ok now i'm on to finishings the replays for world tour that Ichotolot had minus all but 2 levels of legend and 1 level of groupie.  thx Ichotolot. I love watching these replays as well as your other packs(just finished doing dovelems and pimolems-all good).

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2020, 07:03:43 PM »
Solved 10 more Rockstar levels today and also updated my old replays.

Could you confirm that no level broke due to the changes in glider physics? ???  Would not be pleasant if I encounter an impossible level later on. ;)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2020, 07:24:14 PM »
Will do. I'll watch them now, including the updated ones. i'll report back when I'm finished. Thanks Icho. Also my conversion of Reunion to Superlemmini is finished. I'll saved all the replays. also I thanked Kaywhyn as he was there all the way. Also I'm there with him for his United replays.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 07:37:31 PM by ericderkovits »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2020, 07:46:10 PM »
Will do. I'll watch them now, including the updated ones. i'll report back when I'm finished. Thanks Icho. Also my conversion of Reunion to Superlemmini is finished. I'll saved all the replays. also I thanked Kaywhyn as he was there all the way. Also I'm there with him for his United replays.

I know my replays work - I tested them all. I was rather referring to @Strato Incendus about the part of the pack I haven't solved yet. ;P

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2020, 07:54:09 PM »
ok sorry, I'll do that then.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2020, 07:58:40 PM »
ok sorry, I'll do that then.

What will you do? I am confused now, did you solve all of Lemmings World Tour and can confirm to me that every level in there is solvable and nothing is broken in the part I haven't solved yet?

If not then only Strato himself can confirm that to me.

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2020, 08:10:14 PM »
yeah your right I can't do this as there is no replays yet. and I didn't solve them.

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2020, 06:47:42 PM »
Hi IchoTolot, to my knowledge this change in Glider physics should only affect Shimmier interactions.

Since Lemmings World Tour was originally made for Old Formats and thus doesn't include any Shimmier levels (nor does the New-Formats version, since I didn't add any new original levels during conversion), this shouldn't be an issue that affects Lemmings World Tour.

Lemmings Open Air had one or two levels affected, but that pack is still in its development stage, and I have already adjusted the levels in question a while ago ("Mr Sandlem, give me a dream" and "My life would suck without you").
My packs so far:

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2020, 09:00:04 PM »
Hi IchoTolot, to my knowledge this change in Glider physics should only affect Shimmier interactions.

Since Lemmings World Tour was originally made for Old Formats and thus doesn't include any Shimmier levels (nor does the New-Formats version, since I didn't add any new original levels during conversion), this shouldn't be an issue that affects Lemmings World Tour.

Lemmings Open Air had one or two levels affected, but that pack is still in its development stage, and I have already adjusted the levels in question a while ago ("Mr Sandlem, give me a dream" and "My life would suck without you").

No, that not true. The glider behaves slightly differently in many scenarios. I had quite a few glides in United where no shimmier was present that broke. Especially updrafts are affected, but also normal glides.

Could you simply do a mass replay check of your own replays to check if everything is alright? ???

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2020, 08:51:25 AM »
Mmh, my own replays are all named after the levels and placed in the "Auto" folder, since they are created when I test the level in the editor. If I start a mass replay check in that folder, every replay file within it is checked, including those from other packs.

Then again, if I understand you correctly you are only asking about upcoming levels? Meaning, the question is not whether existing replay files break, but whether any of the upcoming levels are so pixel-precise in terms of Glider use that they might happen to be unsolvable?
My packs so far: