Author Topic: [Suggestion] [ALL] Pre-include music tracks from L2: The Tribes and L3D  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
NeoLemmix already comes pre-equipped with the original Lemmings- and ONML tunes. Of course, several people also like to use the tunes from Lemmings 3D and Lemmings 2: The Tribes on a regular basis - but so far, they haven't been part of the official download. Since music is usually provided along with individual packs, if several people use e.g. the Lemmings 3D tracks, but name them differently, this leads to redunancy in the music folder, because both will provide the tracks again, even though they're technically only required once.

So maybe we could simplify this by including the L3D- and L2 tunes into the standard NeoLemmix download as well? Then everyone could refer to these tracks by the same name when assigning them to levels. With graphic sets, we've already done a good job at removing duplicate pieces - so I think it would only make sense to do the same for frequently-used music tracks. :)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [Suggestion] [ALL] Pre-include music tracks from L2: The Tribes and L3D
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 05:55:38 PM »
I do think it would be a good idea to provide an "official" download for these, or at least a list of "official" filenames; but including them with the main download is not going to happen any time soon, simply because the main download (once styles are taken into account) is already way bigger than it should be and I'd rather not make that worse just for the sake of more musics.

With L3D, the question also exists of which version of the tracks; since there's several that all have more or less equal claim to the title of being the "official" versions - eg. you'd probably pick CD music, whereas I'd probably pick the General Midi or AWE32 ones. The alternative approach, "include them all", would be even MORE of a problem bloat-wise. CD audio also doesn't loop nicely, and not all of the tracks could easily be made to loop; what people do for their own packs is their business, but I do not want to include a track that doesn't have proper looping as part of the download.

I know I've been saying this for ages, but I do intend at some point to get online functionality re-implemented. Once that's done, the L2 and L3D tracks could certianly be one of the things that can be downloaded via it.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] [ALL] Pre-include music tracks from L2: The Tribes and L3D
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 07:01:04 AM »
I know I've been saying this for ages, but I do intend at some point to get online functionality re-implemented. Once that's done, the L2 and L3D tracks could certianly be one of the things that can be downloaded via it.

Alright, that sounds like a great compromise between NeoLemmix standalone download size, accessibility of the tracks for everyone, and standardised naming conventions for the tracks! ;) :thumbsup:
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels