Author Topic: REMINDER: No new pickup skill objects until V12.7.0 is released.  (Read 3699 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
REMINDER: No new pickup skill objects until V12.7.0 is released.
« on: September 06, 2019, 08:43:25 PM »
To clarify around the release candidate build: You can use the release candidate build, once released, to create your new custom pickup skill objects. You do not have to wait for the stable release before submitting them - you may submit them during the RC phase, to be included with the initial V12.7.0 stable release. If you wait until after the stable release to submit them, they will get included in the December styles update.

Custom pickup skill objects are not officially supported, and a decision has been made not to accept any new ones until official support for them is added, which will be happening in the next major update, V12.7.0, which will release sometime in November.

Existing ones may be updated - and except for two in Plom's styles, I believe all existing custom pickup skill graphics still need to be!

No ifs, ands or buts - if your custom pickup skill object does not already exist in the NL styles download, it will not be added to the NL styles download, full stop. Do not create such objects. If you want to do something with custom pickup skill objects now, update your existing ones. I should be releasing a V12.7.0 Release Candidate build in about a month, at which point you can start preparing for V12.7.0's pickup skill system - and that should end up being the last time you need to update them, as the whole point of it is to make it so you can use custom pickups without having to update them all the time.

Additionally, I find it especially bothering that one author created a whole bunch of new ones - some for entirely new styles, some as the only new piece added to existing styles - yet hasn't done anything to update their existing ones that need it. When you do this with your own level packs, whatever, that's your choice. But when it comes to styles, which other people may be relying on, I think it's a completely fair expectation that if you have time to create new styles, you have time to maintain your existing ones at least to the extent that they don't end up not working and/or giving false information to the player.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 07:21:22 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: REMINDER: No new pickup skill objects until V12.7.0 is released.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 12:15:09 AM »
From what I can tell, here are the list of pickup skill objects that need to be updated for V12.6.X still.

I have created this list based on a criteria of "I have not noticed them being updated since V12.6.X's release". If you are the author of one of these and believe you have updated it, please first check using the latest styles download that your update has actually been included. If not, please send it to Nessy to include in the next update. Check this using an actual level rather than just checking the PNG or NXMO files, paying attention in particular to checking it displays the correct skill - there are many that have a shimmier graphic added, but it's added at the end instead of in the correct position (between the Walker and Climber), thus meaning that although the object doesn't crash NL, it will display the wrong skill (unless the skill is Walker). If you check this and find your object has indeed been updated, please let me know so I can remove it from this list.

To be clear: The only change you need to make at this stage, is to make sure there is a Shimmier graphic between the Walker and the Climber (as far as I'm aware, all styles listed as "not updated" either have the Shimmier at the end, or don't have the Shimmier full stop).

@Nessy: Feel free to edit this post as you receive updates.

List of objects that have not yet been updated. Authors, please update these; everyone else, please avoid use of these until updated.
- Currently none

List of objects that we have received updates for, but these have not yet been included in a Styles download update. You can use these, but avoid releasing content that uses them until the next styles update is out.
- Currently none

List of objects that have been updated, and the update is included in the latest Styles download. These can be used safely.
- default:pickup
- plom_festiveshangtu:giftbag_pickup
- pom_halayangube:wreath_pickup
- sqron_turrican2wall:pickup
- arty_silhouette:pickup
- dex_davinci:pickups
- flopsy_gigalem_labyrinth:pickup_labyrinth
- gigalem_desertmd:pickupsand
- gigalem_metalmd:pickupmetal
- gigalem_purplemd:pickuppurple
- gigalem_skymd:pickup_star
- gigalem_treemd:pickupleaf
- plom_bastemp:pickup
- plom_garden:PlomGarden_Skills
- plom_metro:pickup
- plom_psychmd:pickuppsych
- plom_studio:pickup
- ray_circus:pickup
- ray_cyberspace:pickup
- ray_eldorado:pickup
- ray_snow:pickup
- timfoxxy_gigalem_launchbase:monitor
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 08:59:44 PM by Nessy »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 09:16:09 AM »
I would also encourage others to add to this list if they notice another style which needs updated pick-ups, not to call authors out, but rather to warn users that there is still something missing here. Also it is nice to have a complete list of what still needs updating. ;)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 06:21:11 PM »
Agree, although I'm fairly sure too that the above lists, combined, cover every pickup skill object in NL's styles download - I used find in files to find the "PICKUP_SKILL" keyword in NXMO files, so the only way one may be missing is if I overlooked it while writing up the categorized lists

Which, to be fair, is possible.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 06:22:47 PM »
On a side note - if your "picked up" graphic is not just the background with no skill drawn on it, I highly recommend keeping a copy of the blank not-pickrd-up graphic. Having it handy will save you time come V12.7.
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 08:50:21 AM »
As I read through an outrage on Discord that this is another huge Brickwall, they only things you need to do to your styles in regards of the shimmier:

1.) Open your custom pick-up skill image with paint.

2.) Extend the picture vertically by 1 more pick-up skill.

3.) Move the pick-up skill icons down to the bottom from the climber onwards.

4.) Fill in a shimmier pick-up skill into the gap. (If you could draw all others then you can also do this!) --> Save.

5.) Update the corresponding .nxmo file to say 19 frames.

6.) Save and submit graphic+nxmo with the others to Nessy. DONE!

I attached 2 pictures: The default style who already has the shimmier sprite and another one with no such sprite.

I also noticed that plom_bastemp:pickup already has the sprite so I mark it off the list. :P

« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 08:19:25 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 01:55:57 AM »
I also noticed that plom_bastemp:pickup already has the sprite so I mark it off the list. :P

No - it does have a Shimmier graphic, but it's in the wrong position in the order.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 09:46:16 PM »
The confusion around plom_bastemp has been resolved, and the conclusion is - do not use this object until the next styles update is out.

What's happened here is that different styles downloads have had a mixup, due to the fact that Plom's latest update to the style renamed this piece from "pickup" to "pickup_bastemp". The full styles download contains the old version under the name "pickup", while the update download contains the new version under the name "pickup_bastemp".

To avoid any issues - do not use this object, either version, at all, for now. When the next styles update comes around, we will include the new version under the name "pickup_bastemp". (Of course, the best way to avoid issues is to not use non-default pickup skill objects full stop, until V12.7.X.)

Let this also be a reminder - don't rename pieces in styles that have been released. If there's a really pressing need to rename a piece, create a duplicate under the new name, and mark the old piece as deprecated. You do this simply by putting the keyword "DEPRECATED" into the NXMO or NXMT file as applicable.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 09:11:33 PM »
The new styles update should now have all the custom pickups updated to work on 12.6

If anyone needs help getting these to work on 12.7 when the time comes please let me know and I'll be happy to do my best in lending a hand.