Author Topic: Replay Refresher tool - Ensure your replay files are up to date format-wise  (Read 2323 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Due to the plan in the future to cull support for deprecated formats, combined with the importance of being able to preserve replays, I've created the Replay Refresher.

This tool takes a bunch of replays (it's got a proper form interface, not just a command line thingy), loads them, and then re-saves them in the latest format. In particular:
- You can use this tool to add usernames to replays that lack them.
- You can use this tool to update "RELEASE_RATE" entries to "SPAWN_INTERVAL" entries.
- You can use this tool to convert old LRB replays to the current NXRP format.
- You can use this tool to convert the very-early NXRP format (not sure if it was ever even used in a stable release, but might have been in some experimentals between V1.43 and V1.47) to the current one.

The first point is more just a convenience thing than anything else, but the last three are important - replays that need those last three updates, will no longer work in V12.10.0 or beyond. (This is still quite a way away, but why not prepare now?)

Should be very easy to use. If you run it from an NL V12.6.0 or higher folder, it will automatically get your username from your NeoLemmix settings, otherwise you'll need to enter it manually.

The replay refresher is a standalone app, so you will be able to use it to update your older replays even in the future when NL no longer supports them. The only thing that could theoretically break with NL updates, is the auto-detection of your username. However - DO NOT use this tool on replays that contain any skills that are newer than the Shimmier (the Shimmier itself is fine). This includes the Jumper at the time of writing this, and potentially in the future the Grenader, Spearer, Laserer and Slider (or whatever names they get later, if they end up making it in). Although unnecessary (as they'll already be up to date, so it will do nothing), it is safe to use this tool on V12.6.X replays. EDIT: By extension it's safe to use on V12.7.X and V12.8.X replays as well, as nothing is new / changed in them. It is also safe to use on replays newer than that as long as they do not use any skills newer than this tool.

If you're looking for source code: It's part of the NeoLemmix Git repo; look in the "Tools" folder on the latest commits in the "master" branch.

EDIT: V1.01 update uploaded, this allows you to select an entire folder to add (recursively).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 06:57:11 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Great tool! :thumbsup:

The only thing I whish it could do is an option to also go into subfolders and search for more replays there as well. I have a big replay folder with 50+ subfolders and some of them also have subfolders. ;P So currently this would still take quite a bit of work. If I could simply select the whole replay folder at once it would be much easier. Of course as an option as it is not always desirable to select everything.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Good suggestion. I'll see what can be done there.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Uploaded an update that implements IchoTolot's suggestion.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Bumping this, and some reminders:

- Replays from prior to V12.0.0 need to be run through this tool, or they will no longer be useable from NL V12.10.0 onwards.
- Replays from V12.0.0 or newer will not be harmed by running them through this tool. This includes replays from V12.7.X.
- You can use this tool to add a username to replays that currently lack one.
My Lemmings projects