Poll

Do you let the hotkeys names display on the buttons (default) or do you turn it off?

Let them display (but know of the option).
5 (62.5%)
Turn them off.
0 (0%)
Didn't know that the option exists.
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: About the option to not show hotkey names on buttons  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
About the option to not show hotkey names on buttons
« on: August 26, 2019, 09:28:21 PM »
I just now realized that the option exists to not have the hotkey names shown on the buttons. I'm now too used to it to turn it off. But I'm curious if other people play with pure buttons without hotkey names on the right lower side of the button.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: About the option to not show hotkey names on buttons
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 10:43:13 PM »
Good poll.

Years ago, Lix had a bug where this option (on buttons, print their hotkeys or not) would function normally during your session, but would not save to disk. Lix would always start with the default (print hotkeys on buttons).

Surprisingly, nobody found this bug from normal use, not even I. Later, I found it while reading source.

-- Simon

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 11:11:02 PM »
I have always kept show-hotkeys on because I don't play multiplayer enough to have memorised them yet :P Especially the editor, because it doesn't have the same kind of incentive to memorise hotkeys, but they are still very convenient so it's good to know what they are without having to look them up.

(Conversely, in the NL editor which doesn't have this feature, I find myself needing to look up hotkeys usually at least once or twice per session. Particularly when I accidentally touch a random key like "F" and it has no visible effect, so I need to check whether that actually did something I didn't want to do.)

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 06:25:16 PM »
Thanks for the already given votes/answers.
Maybe not too astonishing but interesting that nobody seems to have it turned off.
I can see Proxima's reason for letting it turned on deliberately.
And it seems nobody is disturbed enough by the names to try to turn it off.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 07:46:10 PM »
I introduced this option when, years ago, I first printed hotkeys on buttons, and people were afraid that it would clutter. Interesting that everybody sticks with the default, knowingly or not.

Maybe the option can go, and we should always print hotkeys?

-- Simon