Poll

Which of the options in post #45 do you prefer to the current colors? (Select any combination of the three OR "None".)

Yellow for Brick style
3 (21.4%)
Red for Bubble style
4 (28.6%)
Blue for Pillar style
4 (28.6%)
None
3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: [SUG][CONTENT] change default arrow colors of original sets  (Read 10554 times)

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [SUG][CONTENT] change default arrow colors of original sets
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2019, 08:24:01 PM »
Here's screenshots for those three. If anyone thinks any of these are worth following up on, let me know and I'll put a poll up.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2019, 09:30:53 AM »
I think these are all improvements over the originals.

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2019, 06:13:51 PM »
I've put a poll up. Please vote for "None" rather than not voting if you feel that none of them are preferable to the original; otherwise, please vote for whichever ones you do think are better. (The "None" option is there so I can still look at total # of people voted.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2020, 07:56:43 AM »
So far, all the results are quite borderline between change vs don't change - Brick leaning a bit more towards "not change" than the others. I'll leave this one open a bit longer.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2020, 05:29:46 PM »
With how close the votes are, that makes me think even more that it's worth finding some workaround to allow the designer to choose how they want their arrows. I think it would be sufficient for it to be per-level (not per-object), and it could be selecting a colour from a small menu of choices rather than a true colour picker.

I have to admit, even though yellow for Brick was originally my suggestion, now that I've seen it I don't think it works at all (it barely gains visibility on the pale terrain, and loses the nice look of the existing arrows on the red brick) and I would be disappointed if that was enforced from now on.

For the other two -- I voted for changing Bubble, although I think it's a close call. I voted against changing Pillar, but in this case I don't have a strong feeling against the blue arrows.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2020, 10:38:27 AM »
Proxima's suggestion would probably make it easier to find a color that works, since a lot of levels might only use the arrows on one types of terrain, in which case it's not necessary to have a color that is clearly visible on all terrain types and also still looks good, which has proven difficult in sets where there are multiple highly contrasting colors of terrain. I think having the sets have a default would still be convenient for level designers, but a convenient way to override these defaults on a per-level basis that doesn't alter the colors of things such as builders or lemming sprites (like the current workaround of selecting a different style than the one the terrain primarily comes from) would be very useful.

I do think the yellow example is a better yellow for the menu than the dirt yellow if we give limited options instead of a true color picker.

IIRC clear physics already recolors the arrows, which, combined with the outlines, should place a limitation on the amount of design trolling possible, and if it's still a concern there could be a player option to force the style default to be used.

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2020, 01:09:47 AM »
So, it looks like the Pillar / Bubble changes are about 50/50, while the Brick change is less popular.

End results here:
- Brick will not be changing
- Pillar and Bubble, I will take another look at it myself at some point (without reading the topic again, so it's just a natural "which one looks better?") and make the final call based on my thoughts there
My Lemmings projects

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2020, 06:21:45 PM »
After taking another look at this, I feel that Pillar's change to blue is a good idea, but that Bubble is better off remaining as-is.

I think that wraps this up, then?
My Lemmings projects

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2020, 06:42:34 PM »
Yes, I'd be fine with that. I think I've even seen blue arrows on the Pillar tileset before - maybe on the Mac version?
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels