Poll

Which of the options in post #45 do you prefer to the current colors? (Select any combination of the three OR "None".)

Yellow for Brick style
3 (21.4%)
Red for Bubble style
4 (28.6%)
Blue for Pillar style
4 (28.6%)
None
3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: [SUG][CONTENT] change default arrow colors of original sets  (Read 10556 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [SUG][CONTENT] change default arrow colors of original sets
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2019, 08:19:05 AM »
Here's 7 of the 9 official styles with the outlined OWAs. (The other two have custom one-way arrow graphics, so aren't affected by changes to the default.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2019, 08:25:18 AM »
Here's the same modification applied to the Fire arrows. (I don't think it would suit Crystal, plus Crystal is plenty visible as-is.)

Also attached are three possible alternate colors that work alright. I like the 3rd one (out of the alternates; ie: blue2) the best (maybe because it feels closest to the original?).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 05:39:41 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2019, 10:41:59 AM »
Are all of these going to be optional? ;) These look more different from the original ones than I expected - there are probably going to be cases where people would want to use these for increased visibility, but I wouldn't want them to replace the default ones, at least not as a complete replacement, without the option of sticking to the original versions, for those who want to.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2019, 11:09:42 AM »
I like these a lot :thumbsup: Very good visibility all-round. For the Fire arrows, I agree the third one is the best; cyan stands out very well on red terrain.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2019, 05:41:41 PM »
Will we still be able to edit the colors ourselves the same way as before (in theme.nxtm)?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2019, 05:45:29 PM »
Are all of these going to be optional? ;) These look more different from the original ones than I expected - there are probably going to be cases where people would want to use these for increased visibility, but I wouldn't want them to replace the default ones, at least not as a complete replacement, without the option of sticking to the original versions, for those who want to.

If the decision is in favor of these, they will replace the existing ones. Users are free to restore the old graphics manually in their copy of NL if they wish - these days copies of older styles downloads are preserved so you can get the graphics from those.

EDIT: If doing this though, keep in mind that any future styles that use default OWAs will likely pick their colors with the outline in mind - so if any style seems unclear without the outline, make sure it still looks unclear with the outline too before reporting an issue. And likewise, if creating your own styles that use the default OWAs, make sure the color you pick still looks good with the outline as well.

I like these a lot :thumbsup: Very good visibility all-round. For the Fire arrows, I agree the third one is the best; cyan stands out very well on red terrain.

Ah, sorry, I specifically meant the 3rd of the different color ones was my favorite - ie, the duller blue that's closer to the original, but still stands out a fair bit more. But this isn't a super strong preference, and I'm open to any of those (or another option altogether) if that's where the community preference is.

Will we still be able to edit the colors ourselves the same way as before (in theme.nxtm)?

Yes, and I'm still open to changing the default colors too if people feel this is necessary (although I suspect that, Fire aside, this won't be the case anymore - they all look pretty clear to me!).

However, you won't be able to edit the inside and outline colors separately. The outline color will always be a darker shade of the main color (the main color is what theme.nxmt will specify).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 06:06:30 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2019, 06:20:10 PM »
Added a poll regarding the outline. (I'll do a separate one for the Fire arrow colors.)

Also - while I won't do a screenshot for every style, here's how the high-res outlined OWAs look (this is with custom outlined graphics created the same way as the low-res ones; not just upscaling).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 06:31:12 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2019, 10:26:24 PM »
In case I forget to check back later when that poll goes up, I like blue2 the best for Fire. It improves visibility compared no color change, while maintaining the original feel quite well compared to yellow or blue1.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2019, 02:23:11 AM »
Okay - it's pretty clear opinion is overwhelmingly in favor of the "fat" outlined arrows (only one vote for status quo, and none at all for "thin" outlined arrows), so I don't see the need to keep that poll up any longer.

Poll for the different colors for the Fire style is up.
My Lemmings projects

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2019, 02:27:57 AM »
I think I voted after leaving the page open for so long that the poll had changed and as a result it registered my vote for something I didn't even realize. Is it possible to undo my vote so I can read it and vote properly?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2019, 03:03:48 AM »
I had a look at the L2 and L3 ones - unfortunately I didn't save the screenshots. The only thing that stood out to me was that l2_egypt and l2_shadow have custom one-way arrow objects. l2_shadow's were barely different from the default (and not different at all for the left-facing arrows), so l2_shadow will use the default ones in the future. l2_egypt's are a bit more different - I get the impression they're taken from WinLemm and downscaled? - so I'll leave them as is, unless people really think we should use the standard ones.
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2019, 11:56:53 AM »
I had a look at the L2 and L3 ones - unfortunately I didn't save the screenshots. The only thing that stood out to me was that l2_egypt and l2_shadow have custom one-way arrow objects. l2_shadow's were barely different from the default (and not different at all for the left-facing arrows), so l2_shadow will use the default ones in the future. l2_egypt's are a bit more different - I get the impression they're taken from WinLemm and downscaled? - so I'll leave them as is, unless people really think we should use the standard ones.

Shadow should just have standard bright yellow ones in the normal case. Can I ask in which terms they are currently different? ???

L2 egypt ones are indeed downscaled WinLemm arrows

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2019, 05:39:49 PM »
Shadow should just have standard bright yellow ones in the normal case. Can I ask in which terms they are currently different? ???

Look at the bottom-right of each arrow in the one-way-right arrows (this must be the actual OWW_right object, not just a flipped OWW_left).
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2019, 08:44:48 PM »
Look at the bottom-right of each arrow in the one-way-right arrows (this must be the actual OWW_right object, not just a flipped OWW_left).

So just some very minor animation change needed here.

Alright then, as long as they stay bright yellow (I find them very fitting here) I am totally for this change in favor of simplicity. :)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2019, 09:26:11 AM »
Speaking of yellow, can we get those yellow fire arrows provided in some style? Not as the default, just as an option?

With the regular, back-and-forth-moving arrows, which appear on all other official tilesets, it's easy to find surrogates that have the colour you desire for a particular level. However, the continuously-moving triangular arrows are only available in blue, to my knowledge.

So it would simply be nice to have some alternatives here as well. ;)

I do indeed like a lot of these arrows on a purely visual basis; however, I'm still a little uncomfortable with the idea of them overwriting the default arrows of at least the official tilesets - especially when they significantly change their look, by going with a completely different colour or shape. After all, not only custom packs, but also the original packs Lemmings and ONML plus all the Holiday Lemmings packs are going to be affected by this change.

I think playing the original packs should still feel as authentic as possible in NeoLemmix. Couldn't outlines in general be made an option that every player can adjust for themselves under "preferences" in the main menu? Much like the high-quality mini map, or also high-res mode, I guess? ;)

Because high-res mode is another thing that, while visually nice, alters the rough and deliberatly "cheap"-looking aesthetics of the original game. 8-)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels