Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] NeoLemmix Introduction Pack  (Read 29403 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] NeoLemmix Introduction Pack
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2020, 11:52:23 PM »
Awesome :thumbsup: I'll play through the new version from the start and make notes.

Rank 1 (click to show/hide)

Rank 2 (click to show/hide)

Rank 3 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 10:06:02 AM by Proxima »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2020, 02:01:26 PM »
V 0.16 is out!

A quick update to fix impossible levels after the 12.9.0 NeoLemmix update.

This new version (or higher) is required to be able to solve all levels using NeoLemmix version 12.9.0 or higher!

Fixed levels:

- 5 07 (the Shimmier jump next to a wall + glider -> getting onto that wall trick is now impossible, the level can now be solved without it, skillset and intro text were adjusted)
- 5 08 (some terrain changes and a new intro text now mentions the possibility to use a shimmier jump to gain extra height for a glider)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2020, 03:03:55 PM »
Is there any more feedback apart from the things Proxima posted about the first 3 ranks?

If not I would soon prepare the next patch addressing the things he posted.

When that's done I will move over to create jumper introduction and training levels.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2020, 11:03:54 PM »
Rank 4 (click to show/hide)

Rank 5 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 11:38:56 PM by Proxima »

Offline DireKrow

• Noisy Crow
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2020, 09:20:55 PM »
Attached is a full set of replays done in 12.9.2. The only level I was unable to solve was the very last, "Victory Lap". A couple of the levels have multiple replays, as discussed below.

The level quality is overall very high. I have no broad critiques. Advanced Training is a pretty hard for someone brand new to the game, but it IS 'advanced training'...

Some things I found, most of which I already told you about on the discord (and you may have already fixed):
- The first time a level with a Millas style is selected, such as Basic Training 2 "Hidden Crystaline Temple", it throws a "Invalid Pointer Operation. Falling back to default lemming sprites" error, since those styles currently lack Jumper sprites.
- Skills 5 "Block and Blow In The Snow" can still be completed without using any blockers. See the second replay.
- Objects & Functions 15 "Highlights With A Safety Net", if you assign a miner immediately out of the left hatch, you can complete the entire bridge on the right without ever having to multitask, defeating the lesson of the level. The replay I provided doesn't quite demonstrate this... I do the miner, but then proceed with the rest of the puzzle on the left afterwards anyway so the replay didn't take as long.
- Basic Training 1 8 "Spiraling Out of Control" can be completed without using any blockers. Seem unintended, since using blockers are mentioned in the pretext. See the second replay.
- Basic Training 2 9 "Stepblocked" can be completed without using the walker pickup, as in the replay.
- Advanced Training 12 "A Different Kind of Space" has a couple of backroutes, as we discussed on discord a while back. See the replays provided.

Be sure to check the other Advanced replays too in case I backrouted without realizing it.

EDIT: Solved Victory Lap too! Added the replay to the end.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 09:44:24 PM by DireKrow »
LOTY 2020 Winner
My NeoLemmix Levels: The Krow Files (File A v1.2 released 21-Feb-2020)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2020, 01:52:50 PM »
V 0.17 is out!

Changes:

- A lot of addressed spelling errors and formating of pre-level texts.

- 1 05 (Hopefully these terrain changes will now enforce the use of blockers)
- 2 01 (Levelsize culled by 25%, hopefully this now runs smoother)
- 2 15 (The left side is now way more dangerous and requires more attention, miners substituted with bashers, + 3 builders, RR decreased, -5 save req, -5 floaters)
- 3 08 (The right ceiling has been lifted so that the trick should now be enforced)
- 4 09 (Adjusted the left staircase so that now only 1 starting area for the builder does the trick, removed the walker pick-up)
- 5 03 (Added some steel)
- 5 12 (Removed some ramps, quite a few skills are pick-ups now, added a turbine+fire)
- 5 19 (Made the upper wall thicker, a lot of skills are pick-ups now not only because of backroutes but also to reduce entropy by a bit)

Next patch will be the jumper update where I will add tutorials and trick lessons related to the new skill! (and of course address further errors that you find ;P)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 07:17:35 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2020, 04:51:17 PM »
oh Icholotot I didn't even know you had an introduction pack so I downloaded this. As this is an intropack I will solve this on my own. no needed replays from you at this time. but thanks. I really enjoy your packs above others because you know your lemmings. hopefully this pack will continue this.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2020, 12:06:45 AM »
I'll post all replays when I'm completely finished, but I'm going talk about stuff now before I forget what the comments I had were.

It's been a while since I looked at this pack to see how it was coming along, but I've finally played through it again.

Currently about halfway through the pack; there's some stuff I think probably should have been introduced by now (mostly regarding cloners) but it's possible I haven't gotten there yet, so I'll hold off on discussing it for now.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2020, 12:26:21 PM »
Comments on Dullstar's comments:

Basic Training 1 Lv. 7 - Limited Release

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Objects & Functions Lv. 15 - Highlists With A Safety Net

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Currently about halfway through the pack; there's some stuff I think probably should have been introduced by now (mostly regarding cloners) but it's possible I haven't gotten there yet, so I'll hold off on discussing it for now.

Stuff will be coming, I just can't introduce everything at once. There are things that have to wait in line.
I also wanted to show off several of the basic colner situations in that specific training level, therefore I first introduced more basic/classic stuff of the other skills. ---> You need to train the skills first before you throw the cloner interaction on top of them. I think the cloner is a very big field with many possibilities and often underestimated in it's complexity.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2020, 07:17:23 PM »
V 0.18 is out!

New jumper levels:

- 1 11 (Basic jumper introduction)

- 3 10 (jumper+climber, jumper over blocker)
- 3 11 (training)

- 4 05 (jumper+shimmier, jumper + one way field)
- 4 06 (jumper skill interruptions, jumper+glider)
- 4 07 (training)

- 5 06 (jumper+cloner)
- 5 07 (training)

Backroute fixes:

- 3 07 (made the starting platform thinner to prevent a simple digger pit containment)

I bet I made more spelling and other errors again, so be sure to post some feedback! :)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2020, 11:09:11 AM »
Since I'm currently stumped real badly in United, I decided to come back to this pack and try out the newest version, as well as to give feedback. I been meaning to give you some feedback for the levels in this pack, but I haven't gotten around to doing so until now due to solving United. I think it was forgotten to state that levels after the new levels were put into the pack were moved by 1 position further. Thus, my replays for Skills 12 still passed the mass replay checker even though they don't solve the "new level" in its position that resulted from the new jumper level in Skill 11. As a result, the Skills rank now has 13 levels instead of 12. In this case, the replays for Skills 12 is for Skills 13, but since that's too chaotic, I just decided to remove the old Skills 12 replays and resolve both Skills 12 and Skills 13 by scratch, but they're both really quick and are over in 5 seconds, so not a problem.

edit: Ugh, just found out that I could had used the text file from the mass replay checker I ran a few days ago for the pack to match up the replays! Man, all that unnecessary time wasted resolving when I had already completed the pack from a few months ago and I thought I couldn't find the replays. :forehead: Well, at least I know for next time now so I'll be using that to send the remaining replays for the last two ranks. I should have them, I just need to match them up and change the file names. Still, it was annoying finding the right replays for each level due to how a lot of the levels have changed positions due to new levels being added to the pack.

Feedback for Skills Rank (click to show/hide)

I will post feedback for the last two ranks next time, as it's already really late where I am.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 10:25:18 AM by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2020, 02:13:53 PM »
Thanks for the replays and feedback will implement changes accordingly when I'm preparing the next patch. :)

Comments:

<Middle-click> <P>  <F11>" to "Pause the level by pressing the middle-button, the P key, or F11 key." This is a series of 3 items, so commas are needed. The rest of the paragraph is fine.

Add a comma after <Middle-Click> and a comma after <P>. Also, add "and" after the comma after <P>.

Ok, here some explanation is needed. I don't have any input to the displaying of <Middle-click> <P>  <F11> as this is a special command.

I can let NL display EVERY key a user has binded towards a fuction. This way it doesn't matter what keys a user uses for a function, as the pre-text will always show the correct keys.

<Key> <Key> is just the automated format for that function. You really want to avoid any unsessesary ",", "and" and "or" as the text should fit inside 1 row as I have no way to include a linebreak inside a keylist.

Yet, you didn't mention in the pre-text of the previous level that diggers stop when there's no more terrain.

I think I even had that, but it was decided to throw it out to keep the first pretext as short as possible. You really don't want a textwall on the first level.

I think what will surprise players is the part where the shimmier gives up due to touching the gray pillar with his feet rather than encountering a 2 pixel or greater with his hands mentioned in the pre-text for the shimmier introduction level. At least that caught me by surprise. So, I would suggest lowering the pillar so that it doesn't happen or simply get rid of it.

Then I will keep the pillar for 100% and explain it in a pre-text.

For all the rewordings and errors, I will go through them in detail and make changes when I make the actual patch. :)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2020, 10:23:44 AM »
Feedback for ranks 4 and 5. Also, I've attached my entire set of replays for the pack in my previous post. Please download the new attachment.

Feedback for Advanced Training (click to show/hide)

Ok, here some explanation is needed. I don't have any input to the displaying of <Middle-click> <P>  <F11> as this is a special command.

I can let NL display EVERY key a user has binded towards a fuction. This way it doesn't matter what keys a user uses for a function, as the pre-text will always show the correct keys.

<Key> <Key> is just the automated format for that function. You really want to avoid any unsessesary ",", "and" and "or" as the text should fit inside 1 row as I have no way to include a linebreak inside a keylist.

Thanks for the information. Let's just say that even though I'm mainly a math person and English isn't my strongest point, proper writing still matters to me, and I'm quite nitpicky when it comes to other people committing English grammar and spelling errors ;P Where I come from, you'll be surprised how many students can't even write an English sentence correctly! Regarding items in a series, commas after each item but not the last one in the series is the rule in English. I know that Lemmings isn't an English game, but it's still good to make sure that errors in writing are eliminated. That's why most of my feedback focused on the English writing in the pre-text and not so much on the levels, even though there is still some of that in my feedback. Writing with many errors still leaves an impression, although maybe not a good one. Sure, I myself occasionally have errors in my writing even after I turn in or submit my assignment, but I take the time to extensively proofread my own writing and make sure that it is error-free as much as possible.

I know this pack is still far from done, but overall great job. This is a wonderfully put together pack that I will gladly refer anyone to. It will surely help people out a lot, especially those who are new to the game and/or NL. Even if the player isn't new to the game and/or NL, I would still advise them to play through this pack from the beginning to the end. Not to mention that you still managed to entertain with great humor in the pre-text for many levels. ;) We all could certainly use a chuckle or two, especially in a time like now with the ongoing global pandemic.

Anyway, I hope you find my replays and feedback helpful so that you can make this pack as great as possible. Now that I finally said my piece and given my feedback for the pack, I'm off to hopefully solve more of your United pack. Looking forward to whenever the next patch for the NL Tutorial pack will be. No hurry, of course.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 10:25:18 PM by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2020, 02:42:29 PM »
If there is no more feedback incoming, I would then start to prepare the next patch soon. :)

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2020, 01:13:10 AM »
I just did lab workout took me a few attempts to figure it out and I was proud of myself when I did.  its starting to get tough for me.

Aoart from airdrop incoming (bt1 - 17) Ive got all of the first 3 ranks done.