Author Topic: Any issues with recent experimental features?  (Read 1311 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Any issues with recent experimental features?
« on: August 04, 2019, 08:06:57 PM »
You can get an experimental including secondary-anims and shimmier here:
https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4188.0

I'm wondering if anyone has encountered issues with these, or has any last-minute input to give about them? Since Nepster has been inactive for a while, I'm going to try over the next week or so to get an update containing these features ready. I intend for this update to contain the following major features:
- Shimmier
- Secondary animations
- 10 skill types per level
- Limited-count exits / entrances
- Replay user-matching
- Remembering the last-played level

The update may or may not contain (we'll see how it goes):
- Neutral lemmings
- Piece grouping - player support will be implemented but I cannot promise anything editor-side

This update won't yet bring:
- Restoring the online features
- Resizable terrain
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 09:31:24 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Any issues with recent experimental features?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 08:11:55 PM »
For the record - I am very confident in the 10 skills and limited-count entrance/exit features, which is why I haven't released a dedicated experimental yet; though I will release a "release candidate" experimental build that includes them before actually releasing a stable update.

The big difficulty will be the editor side of things. The way Nepster has written the editor, is very good when going with an assumption of "these features are all we'll ever need", but adding new features gets very messy quickly. If Nepster shows no signs of returning and continuing work on the editor, I may need to write an entirely new one, or perhaps revive the old one and update it for new-formats (which itself will be a huge mission). In this case, I'll likely look at what maybe should've been done from the start - building the editor into NL itself, so rendering / etc code can be shared. Or at the very least, it'll share a significant portion of NL's codebase, so that it becomes much less hassle to update it for future features. This won't be something that holds up this update - I should be able to get at least "it works", or at the VERY least, "it's preserved" support for the above features implemented; but it's more likely to become a problem as more new features get introduced.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Re: Any issues with recent experimental features?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 03:18:06 PM »
I think I mentioned the minor issue a while ago that the "Let's go!" sound is only presented on the left ear?

That's the only difference I noticed to the stable version, but given that it was about having or not having the Shimmier, I considered it a worthy tradeoff! :thumbsup:
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels