Author Topic: Lemmings 3D Midi Convertor  (Read 2636 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Lemmings 3D Midi Convertor
« on: July 25, 2019, 03:06:53 AM »
Found this topic on another website:

https://vgmrips.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=640

The link seems to be dead, but I was able to recover it via Archive.org. I've attached the file to this post. (Disclaimer: I have not inspected either the source code or the EXE at all.)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 03:14:51 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings 3D Midi Convertor
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 09:10:15 PM »
I just had a thought - so, the best results (other than CD music) are obtained, by using General Midi together with a good soundfont. The problem is - some notes in certain tracks get stuck indefinitely. I wonder if, with details of the format, it's possible to produce a patch to fix this by modifying the actual music files... (very low priority task for me, but something to think about)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 09:27:30 PM »
Hard to say without having a better idea of why the particular notes are stuck.  Presumably those notes are not stuck in the actual game, so it would seem to indicate maybe the tool has a bug.  It might still be possible though to work around it by changing the music file, again depending on knowing why exactly the notes are stuck.

Maybe if I ever find some free time, I could look at the source code and see if I can figure out where it may be mishandling notes.  Do we know what programming language the source code is in?  (I haven't looked yet.)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 10:18:12 PM »
I believe the source code is either C or C++.

And sorry, I think I didn't explain clearly - it's not these midi files from the conversion that are bugged (or maybe they are too, I didn't check closely enough). I'm referring to when playing the actual game in DOSBox - I have no idea if the same happens when using General Midi on real hardware, as that option didn't work on my real hardware back in the day, and I don't have real hardware that L3D could run on now (I could perhaps try a virtual machine running DOS though, but that may not be 100% accurate to what real hardware would have done).

It's most noticable on the standard Computer track (towards the end), but there's also more subtle stuck notes on the standard Space track too, and a few others.
My Lemmings projects