Author Topic: Debate: Digger-Blocker trick  (Read 6922 times)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Debate: Digger-Blocker trick
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2019, 02:50:05 AM »
Good catch.  I think this one even happens in Lix as well, though I haven't played Lix in a while so I might've remembered wrong.  (For diggers, I believe you can tell direction in Lix based on the direction of the "floor sweeping" animation unique to Lix.  Granted, it's still perhaps more subtle than telling the direction for most other skill types.)

Floor sweeping no longer happens in D Lix. The gradual removal of terrain was a perennial source of backroutes and fiddly solutions, so Simon decided to replace it with a "driller" that removes all its terrain at once. (More controversially, the basher and miner were also changed to remove terrain all at once.)

Just occurred to me, a more subtle (and therefore less visually problematic) way may be based on which foot the blocker is tapping.  Actually, maybe that already works today?  I don't remember this specific detail clearly enough.

The problem with this and similar ideas is that they are too subtle -- I don't see how new players would notice the distinction and learn that it indicates facing. (This reminds me of a discussion we had over flipped hatches -- Nepster liked reversing the sprite to indicate facing, but I disliked it because I expected it wouldn't really work for new players, so it made the level uglier for no real gain.)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Debate: Digger-Blocker trick
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2019, 08:27:57 PM »
I've created a dedicated topic on the NeoLemmix bugs / suggestions board specifically for the "no indication of digger's direction" issue - as I feel that regardless of any decision on the physics behaviour, the lack of clarity there needs to be addressed anyway.

https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4326.0
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)