Author Topic: Rain and snow objects  (Read 3226 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Rain and snow objects
« on: June 26, 2019, 08:18:22 AM »
So, as Arty told me, his Rain background object has become part of namida's Sky tileset in New Formats, and his blue fire traps, as we know, are part of the original Fire tileset now.

What I can't seem to find is the Snow object (white circles rather than blue diagonal lines moving downward). Has this been converted to New Formats yet?

Also, when I try to use the Rain object in a new level, the rain is visible during level editing, but not when actually playtesting the level inside the editor (which kinda ruins the point because it's merely an aesthetic feature).

My converted levels from Old Formats using these objects do work with the proper objects in the New Formats player, though.

Then again, I edited the graphic set in Old Formats, where it was all part of a graphic set called "general", by adding some of my own or recoloured pieces (for example, I made a purple version of Arty's Rain for the level "Purple Rain", go figure :D ). Then I converted my version of the general set. Thus, currently, all my converted New-Formats levels using Rain or Snow refer to the conversion of my edited general tileset, rather than to namida_sky.

Thus, I don't know whether it's something about the Rain object placed in namida_sky that makes it invisible while playing (i.e. something that was converted correctly in my edited Rain object), or whether it's about the Editor-vs-Player difference again.

Given that moving background objects, like the bees from the Honeycomb tileset, are supported by the New-Formats NeoLemmix player, but not the editor, I presume the same is true for the Rain object? I didn't expect that to happen, since the placement of the Rain object in its entirety doesn't actually change, so I wouldn't have considered it a moving background object, but of course, it's a background object that does include motion of some sort.

So my questions are:

1) How can I get the Rain object from namida_sky to work in the New-Formats editor?
2) Do we have a converted version of the Snow object somewhere?
(It's neither in Christmas, nor Ohno-Snow, nor raymanni_snow.)

If we don't have a conversion of the Snow object yet, I could include it in my custom edit of the former general tileset (credit to Arty for creating it, of course! ;) ), because I need to share that anyway for the New-Formats version of Lemmings World Tour - and if it's only for the terrain pieces (pre-placed builder staircases) and recoloured background objects (I recoloured the background of the Ancient tileset to look like lava for one level, plus the Rain object to purple, as explained above.)

Meanwhile, everything from the former general tileset that already is present in New Formats, like the blue fire traps and the Rain, I'd simply text-replace then in my levels to point them to the original objects in orig_fire and namida_sky.

But before I do that, I want to be sure the Rain object in namida_sky is actually working. ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Rain and snow objects
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 08:31:31 AM »
The rain object seems to work fine for me (using latest stable NL player + editor). I will note it's semitransparent; the editor does not support this (it can only render a pixel as either fully transparent or fully opaque), so it can be quite hard to spot especially against blue-ish backgrounds.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 08:16:26 PM »
I'm using it with a mono-black background; example level is attached (nothing to play here, actually; it's just about the aesthetics.)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 09:27:33 PM »
I don't have the strato_autumn style that level needs, but I tried using the object - from the latest styles download (which is what may have been missing before) - with both the stable and experimental versions of NeoLemmix.

It appears to work fine with the experimental verison, but not the stable one. Most of the new animation code was written from scratch, not reused from the existing code, so perhaps there's a bug in the stable version's code relating to the transparency, and a copy of this object intended for the new version has slipped in. At any rate - once there's a new major update, it should work again. In the meantime, perhaps this object should be modified to be less transparent...

I'll let Arty decide if he wants to investigate and look into this, otherwise, I'll remove that object from my style (I don't particularly like it, so I am not going to make the effort to maintain it).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 09:26:40 AM »
The strato_autumn style can be found in my graphic set thread for both Old and New Formats. ;)

I'm working with the experimental version, since I want to be able to use the Shimmier. So it's interesting that you say it should work with the experimental version, but not the stable one?
My packs so far:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 10:12:42 AM »
When I say "experimental", I'm talking about my experimental build that includes *all* experimental features. However, it's almost certain that the feature responsible for this specifically is the secondary animations; so I'd suggest see if it works with the secondary animations experimental (which also includes shimmier support anyway).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 09:11:37 AM »
Ah, great, I didn't know that Shimmier support had been added to the secondary-animations version in the meantime! ;) Those two features used to be mutually exclusive for a while.

Thanks then, I'll go ahead and give it a try! :D
My packs so far: