Author Topic: Lemmings 3D Level Design Contest [CANCELLED]  (Read 3734 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Lemmings 3D Level Design Contest [CANCELLED]
« on: June 24, 2019, 09:18:45 AM »
So, given that we can now edit Lemmings 3D levels, I figured - let's have a level design contest!

Just to be clear - this one will be a just-for-fun contest; there's no prizes on offer (other than bragging rights). This will probably also be a one-off thing - at least, I won't be hosting any more L3D contests besides this one, although anyone else who wishes to do so is welcome to (and I might enter them!).

This will follow much the same format as the normal NeoLemmix / Lix contests, with a few differences:
- Custom graphic files are not allowed. (However, you most certianly may customize the BLK file; just not the textures / etc.) Clarification: The Lemmings 3D Winterland graphic files are not considered "custom", you may use those.
- There are more than three rules to choose from, and you can enter as many as you like - this is to encourage people to see what they can do with L3D!

The creation phase will be open until 22 August 2019. Late entries will also be accepted until the update phase ends, which there is no definitive date for yet.

Here are the rules to choose from. You can enter as many or as few as you like, but you may only make one submission per rule. If you create a level that fulfills more than one rule, you may choose which rule you submit it towards (and may submit a different level towards the other(s)). Send your entries to me via PM, making sure to note which rule they're for.

Rule 1 - X-of-everything level
Create a level that has the same number of each skill, with that number being at least 5.

Rule 2 - Enclosed level
Create an enclosed level that does not use the Space texture sets. Reminder: Put Block 3's touching the outside faces of your enclosure's walls, so the outside faces don't get rendered (and thus you don't hit the face limit as easily). Clarification: Castle sets are allowed.

Rule 3 - Time crunch
Create a level with a time limit of no more than 3 minutes.

Rule 4 - Modification
Create a level by using an official level as a starting point. There's no set rules on what you may or may not change, but the end result should be visually very recognizable as being based off the source level.

Rule 5 - One lemming
Create a level that only has one lemming.

UPDATE, 2019/07/06: Since L3D doesn't have an in-game-visible Author field, please make sure to also put your name (or a recognizable abbreviation of it) in the titles of any submitted levels.

UPDATE, 2019/08/03: When submitting levels, it's fine to keep the standard "LEVEL.xxx" and "BLK.xxx" filenames. Just make sure, if you're submitting multiple levels at a time, to clearly indicate which rule they're for.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 02:19:55 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings 3D Level Design Contest
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 10:57:45 PM »
UPDATE, 2019/07/06: Since L3D doesn't have an in-game-visible Author field, please make sure to also put your name (or a recognizable abbreviation of it) at the start of the titles of any submitted levels.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 12:46:11 AM »
Interesting concept but I feel like I won't even have a created level by that time because I'm finding the editor so hard to use myself. I'll try my best to have something by the deadline.

Something which occurred to me also is are there even enough forum users even interested in making 3D Lemming levels to even consider having a contest. I'm not sure how many exactly but I am only aware of interest in 3D Lemmings custom levels from me, namida, Nessy and Pooty.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 12:54:52 AM by Flopsy »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 02:14:49 AM »
You should explain the L3DEdit topic what you find hard to use about it. Maybe there's a feature you aren't aware of that could help (perhaps something that the new manual has covered, or if not, something that I need to make it cover it future updates); and if not, I can take your feedback into account when improving the editor.

It does seem interest is a bit limited. As well as your list, Raymanni seemed quite interested in L3D editing - and there'll always also be (a) one or two people who don't have a huge interest in it, but would like to try it out once or twice nonetheless, and (b) people who are interested, but don't speak up about that interest. Hopefully that's enough for the contest to be interesting. :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 04:13:12 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 05:46:21 AM »
There's one month left to get entries in. Let's see what people can come up with! :D
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 07:59:31 PM »
Two weeks to go. While there's been some interest for sure, it's been a bit low - so I'd like to get some ideas on:

1. Is anyone interested in entering, but feels more time is needed?
2. Is there anyone (I do already know of some such people, but wondering if there's more) who have levels they intend to enter, but are waiting until closer to the deadline to submit them?
3. Is there anyone who'd like to enter, but is having trouble with L3DEdit? - If so, please ask (but maybe, in the L3DEdit topic) for help! Or likewise, having trouble with running L3D full stop?
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 11:01:02 PM »
Added some clarification around how to submit. This does not change (or even clarify) any rules for the actual level designing.

UPDATE, 2019/08/03: When submitting levels, it's fine to keep the standard "LEVEL.xxx" and "BLK.xxx" filenames. Just make sure, if you're submitting multiple levels at a time, to clearly indicate which rule they're for.

Basically - I'll deal with making sure there's no filename collisions / etc. I'll think about how to handle this during the update phase once we get to that stage - most likely, it'll be "use the same filename as your level was released with in the entries compilation download".
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 02:03:51 AM »
Okay so, there's three days left to get entries in. So far, I've only received two, and I know of someone who intends to submit a couple more (but hasn't done so yet). I'll submit a few levels from my upcoming pack too, so there's a few more.

Still, this isn't much so far. So - is there anyone who would like to enter, but feels they need more time? If so, let me know - I'm happy to extend the deadline a bit.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 11:53:48 PM »
I've extended the deadline by 1 week. If there aren't more entries by that point, and I haven't specifically heard from anyone that they'd like more time, I'll most likely have to cancel the contest.
My Lemmings projects

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 09:55:59 AM »
That was to be expected, to be honest, but I can understand it's still disappointing.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 11:16:15 PM »
I suspect many people here probably hasn't even played a single 3D level from the official game yet, let alone completing all the official levels or at least got to some of the higher-ranked ones.  Sadly I'm one of those people too.  My guess is, those people would likely not even consider designing custom 3D levels, or maybe even playing the few custom ones created so far, until (well after) they've played more of the official game's first.

I do want to at least try out Lemmings 3D some time, but at my current rate I probably have to wait until Xmas holidays to get enough time to really get into it.  I can at least peek at the screenshots to get a sense of what I'm missing out on. ;)

I do hope you get slightly more participation with the deadline extension, and even if ultimately there are still too few people to keep it a contest, at least upload all the levels submitted so people can (now or at some point in the indefinite future) try them.

I'd also be curious how many of the levels created make full use of the 3D aspect of things, and is the 3D aspect actually puzzle-worthy versus more of a gimmick overall?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 11:46:36 PM »
I do hope you get slightly more participation with the deadline extension, and even if ultimately there are still too few people to keep it a contest, at least upload all the levels submitted so people can (now or at some point in the indefinite future) try them.

I'll definitely encourage the creators to do so.

I'd also be curious how many of the levels created make full use of the 3D aspect of things, and is the 3D aspect actually puzzle-worthy versus more of a gimmick overall?

In my opinion, the official game levels don't really make the best use of 3D, and in many cases it's a gimmick there - there's some levels like "This Is The Army" (Tricky 3) and "The Five Arches" (Mayhem 1) where the 3Dness is just visual, and the actual gameplay of the level is 2D; and there's some levels where even visually they're 2D, such as "Candyland Climber" (Fun 7) and "Lemmtris" (Taxing 19). Many more don't really do that much with 3D - there'll be points where you need to use turners, but that's about the limit of it. Only a few official levels actually make really good use of the 3D aspect - some examples that come to mind here are "Hole In Ten" (Fun 17) and - IMO the best level in L3D - "Critical Path" (Mayhem 17) - and even these two could work, with slight modifications, in an engine that was 2D but top-down (with no vertical axis) rather than side-on (with no depth axis). There are some levels that well and truly only work in full 3D, though - "Death Slide" (Taxing 20) and "Raiders Of The Lost Lemming" (Mayhem 12) are probably the best examples here.

But, I also think this is primarily less of an issue with L3D's potential, and more of a level design issue in the official game. As you may have seen, I've developed (not yet released in full, still being tested) a pack of 80 L3D levels. And don't get me wrong - there's a few 2D or "only visually 3D" levels in there. But I've definitely found there's a lot more potential for the 3D aspect than the official levels really explored - and if you do get around to playing the official levels and find the 3Dness is a bit lacking, I do encourage you to try out my pack and/or see where other custom content goes.

I've only looked at one of the contest submissions, as I was asked to playtest it. This level definitely made good use of 3D.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 02:19:42 AM »
Unfortunately, even with the extra time there has been no further entries, nor anyone indicating they want to participate but would like further additional time, so I'm going to have to cancel the contest.

I'll leave the topic open, so that those who made levels for it can, if they wish, post them here for people to play anyway.
My Lemmings projects