Author Topic: Another Registration  (Read 4435 times)

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
Another Registration
« on: May 04, 2019, 10:13:08 PM »
Hello,

maybe it's an unfortunate thing to have the second topic of the same subject in a row - but here is another fan of the game who wants to be admitted in the Lemmings community. I am from Germany, in my late thirties and I used to play the original Lemmings and the Oh-No-sequel on the Amiga in the early 90s. It was my favourite game back then besides the first part of the Civilization series :-)

Some time ago I discovered Neolemmix and play some level packs since then. I finished Lemmings Plus I by Namida and I currently play Lemmings Plus II, I'm just before finishing. I uploaded my solutions to my youtube channel. Apart from that, I'm an avid passive-reader of the Lemmings Forums. So motivated by this other user called Shmolem right before me, I decided to join this community. I must admit that I never created levels by myself - but this is something I will certainly do.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Vidusaka
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 10:31:33 PM by Swerdis »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Another Registration
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 10:23:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:

Also good luck for solving the rest of LP II. Feel also free to post a link to your YT channel. :)

We are also starting the playing phase of the Level Design contest #17 soon if you are interested in that: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4171.0

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 04:13:37 AM »
Welcome! It's always good to hear people are enjoying my packs - hope that continues through all of them. :) Though you should definitely check out some other people's packs too - SEBLems is a good pack that's compatible with the latest NeoLemmix and isn't too hard (at least so far - I'm up to the 4th rank at the moment) EDIT: Just remembered, that one's temporarily unavailable for download. I haven't played many other recent packs (except Lemmings United, which is a very high-difficulty pack), so I can't offer many recommendations myself.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 12:23:00 PM »
Herzlich willkommen im Forum, Swerdis! ;)

I do think it might not be too bad for you that SEB Lems isn't available for download at the moment, because as great as it is, that's precisely because it's not an easy pack at all, and definitely not one I'd recommend starting with. Still, if you want to try it, I still have it on my PC, so just shoot me a PM and I can send it to you ;) .

There's a couple of "easy-but-not-total-joke"-packs, some of them are only available for Old Formats NeoLemmix, though, like nin10doadict's CasuaLemmings, or, one of my personal favourites, Colorful Arty's SubLems, which combines very pretty-looking levels with a steady and lenient difficulty curve.

Nessy's Lemmings Migration is a little harder a nut to crack, but it's comparatively short, so that still gives you quite a feeling of progression even if you take a little longer to solve an individual level.

There are also a couple of really easy packs, e.g. by Yung Gotenks. There isn't much in the "middle", though; most longer packs, like SEB Lems, Lemmings Reunion, Lemmings United, Clammings, PimoLems, NepsterLems etc., are also quite hard at the same time.

I hope my own flagship pack Lemmings World Tour falls somewhere in the middle and therefore fills that "vacancy" - but it's also the longest pack here on the forums so far :D . And I have no idea yet how difficult it actually gets towards the end. Plus, it's also still in Old Formats; a conversion is planned for whenever Arty finishes his Let's Play of it, so that I don't have to update all the levels twice.

Overall, SubLems and Lemmings Migration would be my main recommendations. SubLems is totally worth installing Old Formats for it, in case you don't have it yet! ;) You can simply keep a separate folder for that next to your main, New Formats Lemmings folder.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 07:47:30 PM »
Hey,

thanks for all your recommendations, it would take years to play them all ;) I had downloaded most of the mentioned packs some time ago - but only those of the newer formats. However, Lemmings World Tour sounds really interesting for me - I took a quick look in the Level forum. Whenever it's converted I will definitely play it. I personally like long packs and levels with high difficulties - it's just more satisfying to solve them. The SebLems pack also looks good. I have it already in my folder - but I think I should redownload it when it's available again, before I play it.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 11:37:44 PM »
Can I just clear up that SEB Lems is unavailable at the moment because I am in the process of updating my tilesets.

I recommend if you happen to have the pack version which was removed that you shouldn't need to worry it being sub-optimal because I will only upload the updated version when the styles download is updated with my new updated tilesets.

Also, welcome to the forums Swerdis :)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 12:24:53 PM »
However, Lemmings World Tour sounds really interesting for me - I took a quick look in the Level forum. Whenever it's converted I will definitely play it.

Glad to hear! :) That will take a while, though. Since Arty is one of the people who don't seem to be bothered by Old Formats too much, I want to keep the entire Let's Play in Old Formats... especially for the Groupie rank, there are a couple of levels that won't work in New Formats anymore, so I want them to be included in their original versions whenever Arty gets there. :D

And it's not just Radiation- or Slowfreeze-based stuff, btw - but also various types of signature decorations that forum users created out of turned exits, the upper part of exits (=the torches), or fake objects. Since the Groupie rank is all about mimicking other people's level building styles, that includes their respective purely decorative aspects, and some of those can't be replicated in New Formats anymore, sadly. And Arty's main motivation for playing the pack (at least initially) was most certainly the visuals.

If I were to convert the pack now, I'd give him the option to bypass all that, so... :evil:
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 08:25:50 PM »
If you're still after pack recommendations, I recently converted Geoffster's "GeoffLems" to the current version of NeoLemmix. This is an amazing pack, and the difficulty isn't super-high - probably slightly lower than Lemmings Plus II, which you've completed.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 01:01:53 AM »
Looked at your YT channel, I'm impressed. Full playthroughs of several level packs with another in the works. Welcome to the forums :thumbsup:

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2019, 09:48:29 PM »
Thank you very much. Actually I planned to play Nepster's pack next, but I think I will switch to "GeoffLems" first. Could last a while, though, since I'm hopelessly stuck at Holiday Lemmings Plus (Arctic 5) :-)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2019, 10:05:17 PM »
Nepster's pack is extremely hard - and it gets hard very quickly. I'd suggest, if you want to jump into the realm of really hard fan packs, perhaps play Lemmings Reunion first - it's not much easier than NepsterLems towards the end, but it eases you into the difficulty much more smoothly.

With that being said, NepsterLems is a great pack, and I do recommend it - just not until you've worked your way up to the kind of difficulty it presents.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 12:48:27 AM »
Just wanted to post here that SEB Lems is available to download again if you're interested in playing it :)

Just make sure you update the styles folder as well in this topic
https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4139.new;topicseen#new

Also to add to what namida said about NepsterLems, not even I'm good enough to play that pack and I've beaten a lot of namida's packs LPI-V and LPOmega and I've beaten the first 3.5 ranks in Lemmings Reunion. I can beat the first rank in NepsterLems and a lot of the 2nd rank but not very much beyond that, it's not for the faint hearted that's for sure!

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 12:43:09 PM »
Yes, I am interested indeed and I had already downloaded SEB Lems in the past - will do it again, before I start playing. I know it's always difficult to assess one's own work, but how would you rate your pack in terms of difficulty compared to NepsterLems and the Lemmings Plus Series by Namida?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 07:00:20 PM »
I can't really compare that well to Lemmings Plus for the same reason; but I would say compared to MazuLems or GeoffLems, SEBLems is much harder, while compared to NepsterLems or Lemmings Reunion, SEBLems is much easier.

NepsterLems is on a level of difficulty that few other packs match. I suspect Lemmings United is probably up there with it, but I haven't got to the really hard parts of that one yet. But aside from that, I don't think there's really any other pack that's comparable difficulty-wise - even Lemmings Reunion is a little bit easier.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 07:07:42 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2019, 11:55:19 PM »
In my experience: I think that the early ranks of SEBLems are on par with the early ranks of the Lemmings Plus packs. However, the final ranks of SEBLems is harder than the one in Lemming Plus Omega, on par with the final ranks of the likes of Lemmings Plus IV and V, but much easier than the one in Lemmings Plus Omega II and Alpha.