Author Topic: An absurd technique...  (Read 6609 times)

tseug

An absurd technique...
« on: November 14, 2005, 08:48:00 AM »
Look at this:

Open it up in paint and zoom in.
Yes, that really is what happened. I used that digger at the beginning to get lower and make it more obvious what happened. The drawback is that this is painfully hard to execute. That's why I only did it twice in the picture (I haven't been able to get it 3 times in a row). For this to be used, savestates would be necessary, unless someone here is an alien. ;)

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
Re: An absurd technique...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 03:03:54 PM »
Still there, this isn't new for me! I used this trick in one of my EMERGENCY levels. It's strange by the way that the Lemmings Digger Animation still plays just a few milliseconds before falling. This is during this time that you can perform to build!
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

JM

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 03:09:02 PM »
Is this the dig-build-dig-build-dig-build trick?

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 03:12:44 PM »
Well... almost.

I didn't perform this trick you said before, but I know the trick I mentioned in my post above: when the digger reaches the bottom of what he's digging, he's supposed to fall, right? Instead of that, make him build just before he falls!

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 03:37:07 PM »
Quote from: DragonsLover link=1131958080/0#3 date=1131981164
Well... almost.

I didn't perform this trick you said before, but I know the trick I mentioned in my post above: when the digger reaches the bottom of what he's digging, he's supposed to fall, right? Instead of that, make him build just before he falls!
But look closely at tseug's picture (the screenshot, not the mushroomhead pic ;)). &#A0;The build brick is below the lowest point of the platform, which is not something you can normally achieve merely by building before falling.

I'd guess the miner glitch is used. &#A0;But if that's the case, it shouldn't be any harder to execute than the miner glitch itself.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 04:00:29 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1131958080/0#4 date=1131982627
I'd guess the miner glitch is used. &#A0;But if that's the case, it shouldn't be any harder to execute than the miner glitch itself.
Incidentally, I don't think you can get more than 1 pixel lower if you only have miners and diggers, since diggers immediately turn into fallers when starting on thin air.

JM

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 05:57:01 PM »
The trick is used in some levels. I didn't use it in the Original Lemmings but I used it to pass some levels in Custlemm.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 01:24:57 AM »
Wow man! The build brick is two spaces below from the lowest point of the platform. How could you perform this?

tseug

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 06:05:18 PM »
It seems like people have begun to understand how crazy this is. I'll explain later, I have to to go to school.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 08:44:08 PM »
I think ccexplore described it very well already: dig, mine, build (EDIT: Well, I just read it again, and the exact method wasn't described somehow...). Understanding the miner glitch this effect is actually quite understandable (unless tseug used a different method to get this work).
I think the reason it is a little more difficult to execute is that you need to pause immediately after assigning the miner, which you don't need usually executing the miner glitch.
My best is doing this two times btw.

tseug

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 12:42:52 AM »
I don't know what you're doing, it doesn't really sound like how I did it. (EDIT: It sounds like you just inserted a digger, so I guess it was similar.)

It uses two miner glitches, and one is the old one. The other one is that miners can mine in mid air for a few frames (maybe not a glitch, but still weird). The whole thing requires two pixel precise moves per iteration, and uses only builders and miners. So it goes like this:
mine-pause \ break \ unpause-build
A dash means the two actions were in adjacent frames. I realize that it could be done click-F7-click, but IMO it's easier when there is a break.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 03:37:38 PM »
I think we're thinking of the same method. I just let the builder build one step and dug after that. Only then I assigned the miner and restarted tht procedure.
A little advantage might be that you have a little more time between two times executing the trick.
My best got four times now btw. ;)