Author Topic: Site downtime, 2019-05-17  (Read 2852 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Site downtime, 2019-05-17
« on: May 17, 2019, 12:08:33 AM »
Hey everyone,

Letting you know now that there will be planned downtime for LemmingsForums.net later today - no exact time, but I'll probably start in the next few hours, and it should only be down for 10 - 15 minutes.

The reason for this is to (finally) upgrade the site to the latest version of SMF, 2.0.15 - we've been running on 2.0.11 for almost as long as the site's existed, an upgrade is overdue. Further down the track, this will allow the server to also upgrade to PHP7, but I will do this upgrade at a later point in time.

This downtime will not affect NeoLemmix.com.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 05:45:18 PM by Simon »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Planned site downtime.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 03:25:37 AM »
Ran into a few more difficulties than expected, but ultimately, the upgrade was a success and we're now on SMF 2.0.15. Additionally, we now have automatic regular backups in place - prior to now, we've relied on myself or Nessy manually making backups, which neither of us have been particularly reliable at doing. That's changed now - it's all automated, backups will occur once per month. This will occur on the 1st of the month at around 6AM UTC; the forums and NeoLemmix.com may be slightly laggy around this time (probably for about 5 minutes at most). As has always been the case, the backups are accessible to all administrators and global moderators, and are hosted off-site.

As always when any updates to the site occur, please let us know if you encounter any issues.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 05:47:18 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 07:03:02 PM »
There was a message today (2019-05-19) in IRC with an issue that might be related to the upgrade:

[02:09:38]   <JamesMcKigney> Greetings. I am not able to log on to the Lemmings forms and I can't get any emails from Lemmings Forums.
[02:10:22]   <JamesMcKigney> I have been trying to do so since yesterday.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 08:53:39 PM »
Email issue should be fixed now. The git repo had my old personal email address configured as the FROM for emails; I updated it to my up-to-date one. However - it should actually be coming from some kind of noreply@lemmingsforums.net (the domain being the critical part) email address, to work with the SMTP provider we're using (SparkPost).

I've fixed this now.

In regards to logging in issues, I haven't had any issues with that (unless he means that he needed to activate his account or reset his password, and wasn't receiving the email, therefore couldn't log in). I quickly popped onto IRC, but it seems he isn't online now.
My Lemmings projects