Author Topic: Chalkboard Lemmings  (Read 11288 times)

Offline ∫tan x dx

• View Profile
Chalkboard Lemmings
« on: May 12, 2019, 02:22:06 PM »
Hi everybody!

I am excited to announce a new level style pack: Chalkboard Lemmings!

This style sees lemmings re-imagined as colourful doodles on a blackboard.
With silly drawings and an entire alphabet of terrain and symbols, this style is versatile and may even find use in conjunction with other styles!
The style comes with two backgrounds and pale, wispy sprites for the lemmings themselves.

Chalkboard Lemmings was created by my brother, and I am uploading it here with his permission.

Also attached is a small pack of three levels made with the style:

Back to the drawing board
https://i.imgur.com/ptFjEZ8

Let's play hang lem!
https://i.imgur.com/AAg0wvS

Doodling in math class
https://i.imgur.com/SrNbrpN

Feedback and comments are much appreciated!

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Edit: Updated the style to fix missing shimmier sprites.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 09:18:19 PM by ∫tan x dx »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Chalkboard Lemmings
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 04:09:03 PM »
I've noticed that the pictures were not showing and I took the liberty to fix the links (".png" was missing). ;)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 04:26:00 PM »
Solved the 3 levels and these are pretty nice little puzzles indeed! :thumbsup:   I might have a feeling my solution to the 2nd one is a backroute though. :evil:

Feel free to add more levels over the time when your brother gets new level ideas! :)

The tileset looks and plays amazing! :thumbsup:

I think some really good levels can be made from this and a set with all the standard letters and numbers is always useful. This would be a worthy addition to the standard library!

I've attached my solutions.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 04:56:45 PM »
Wow, without even downloading the pack I can say this pack looks inspired and beautiful.

Although it was created by your brother (kudos to him by the way!), it's a strong showing off the back of your LOTY win :)

This gives other artistic creators like Colorful Arty a run for his money!

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 05:21:20 PM »
I think the idea of "Lemmings on a blackboard" can't have been executed much better.
Additionally, it reminds me of looking at just about anything in the surrounding world, like sets of objects, or shapes, and thinking about how that can help design a level - or indeed a tileset, especially if we're talking about colour combinations as well...
That's how it goes on in my mind anyway.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 08:51:42 AM »
That looks amazing! :thumbsup: Great job and thanks a lot to your brother for sharing this!

Does this also include custom lemmings sprites that look like chalk-drawn pictograms or similar? ;)

I'm only asking because I can't look at the levels themselves at the moment, but if this does include custom sprites, those would probably need the addition of Reacher and Shimmier (relating this to the discussion in another thread).

If it doesn't include custom lemmings sprites, just ignore this... unless you think it's an idea worth considering ^^. Just like the all-black lemmings for Arty's Silhouette style, some graphic sets profit from having custom sprites to look more cohesive. But then again, all-black lemming sprites are certainly a lot easier to create than such that look like they were drawn with chalk.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline ∫tan x dx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 07:08:15 PM »
Hi everybody!

Wow, thank you all so, so much for your kind words! I've shown this thread to my brother, and he is deeply gracious for your compliments.

@Strato Incendus
... if this does include custom sprites, those would probably need the addition of Reacher and Shimmier ...

The pack currently does not contain those sprites, but my brother says he can update the pack.

Thanks again, everybody! :thumbsup:

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 06:07:36 PM »
That's so cute!!! :D <3 I love it!

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 12:30:34 PM »
I just found out I can't actually start the pack, because I get an error message about missing Reacher (=Shimmier) sprites as soon as I hit "play".

May I ask which sprites you were using on the very first level?

Because I have already reset the lemmings for all styles that haven't been updated to include Shimmiers yet (namely X-Mas, Highland, Machine, and Underwater) to default Lemmings sprites.

Does it happen to be an Arty Silhouette level? ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 07:25:12 PM »
Hello integral of tan x dx,

I know this is a very old thread, but I've solved all 3 of the levels. My replays are attached. Overall, your brother did a great job on this! ;) The first level was surprisingly difficult, although I have a stacker leftover and simply resorted to a timing heavy solution :P The second level should be a very bad backroute, and I find it really surprising that Icho missed this solution entirely :P No skills required (no pun intended) :laugh: Finally, the third level was my absolute favorite in terms of what's on the screen (the quadratic formula, a quadratic equation with solutions x = 1 and 2, pi, etc), being a math person and math teacher myself. This one was quite hard for a builders only level. Took me a while.

I'll take a look at your Integral Lemmings pack soon! :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2021, 08:24:05 PM »
Although it was in the Neolemmix Styles board, it is still a pack, so I got this one, since I didn't have this either.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 09:26:16 PM »
This style is brilliant. I wonder how the chalk effect is created, it's very unique :lemcat:

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2021, 07:35:29 PM »
This style is brilliant. I wonder how the chalk effect is created, it's very unique :lemcat:

its one of my favourite styles

Offline ∫tan x dx

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2021, 07:44:11 PM »
Hi all!

Thank you for your kind words about the chalkboard style! :thumbsup:

As for Kaywhyn's replays...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2021, 08:09:50 PM »
∫tan x dx,

Yea, level 3 was definitely my favorite out of all just because I love math myself and recognized everything in it :) Yup, happens all the time, especially when I notice certain students not paying attention and when I call on him/her they least expect it :P Even more amusing are the answers they give sometimes which makes it very clear the student wasn't paying attention at all :laugh:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0