Author Topic: Translation tables for gronkling_electric and digital?  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Translation tables for gronkling_electric and digital?
« on: May 11, 2019, 01:15:54 PM »
Hi, just a quick question: Whoever created the official New Formats conversions of the graphic sets grnk_6_electric and grnk_8_digital also must have created the translation tables that point to the two respective "split-up" styles gronkling_cyber, gronkling_cybertrack, and gronkling_technobase.

So it would be helpful if that user shared those translation tables. I did one for Ancient myself, and I believe I have already uploaded it here (splitting it up and translating the levels into the two tilesets gronkling_angelisland and gronkling_chaosangel).

Having to go through each individual piece and check where exactly the split from one tileset to the next is supposed to take place is not only tedious, though, it's also superfluous if other people have to do the same, as well, anyway. ;)

I re-downloaded all the styles again, however, translation tables are part of the data folder. Since there are currently different versions of NeoLemmix (one with the Shimmier and one with moving animations for triggered objects), I don't know which is the most current version that won't remove the Shimmier again.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 02:32:04 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Translation tables for gronkling_electric and digital?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 09:12:38 PM »
Since there are currently different versions of NeoLemmix (one with the Shimmier and one with moving animations for triggered objects), I don't know which is the most current version that won't remove the Shimmier again.

These two are currently mutually exclusive - the Shimmier experimental does not contain secondary animation support, and the secondary animations experimental does not contain Shimmier support. The Shimmier is still considered an experimental feature that may or may not actually make it into stable NeoLemmix; whereas secondary animations are more just a matter of making sure all the bugs are ironed out (and maybe making any needed changes to how it works) as it's a feature NeoLemmix needs.

The secondary anims experimental is by far the newer of the two, although I'm almost certain no translation tables have been added (or removed) since the last stable release, let alone between the two experimentals. And at any rate, translation tables aren't included in the download with the secondary anims experimental.

I do intend to, at some point, create an update of the Shimmier experimental that also includes the secondary animations support - but I haven't gotten around to that yet. I'll probably wait until I'm fairly confident the secondary animations feature is solid - and ideally, the editor support is improved too.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 09:11:07 AM »
Okay, thanks! So in that case, I'd just need somone who has the translation tables for the gronkling tilesets electric and digital to upload those, as I have done for Ancient. :D

If I was legitimately the only one who used those two tilesets, I'd happily do it myself! It's just that creating appropriate translation tables is considered a "mandatory" step of creating an official conversion of a graphic set, at least according to the instructions.

So since somebody has already converted these graphic sets and additionally also changed the name of all the terrain pieces as instructed, I guess that user also created the tables. In that case, it'd be nice to share them with everyone.

Regarding the experimental status of the Shimmier: Whether the skill remains in the stable version or not, I hope the experimental version remains available in case it is removed from "main NeoLemmix" again. Just like 1.43 remained available to play gimmick- and 10.13 remained available to play radiation/slowfreeze/anti-splat pad levels.

Last time I heard, however, there were plans to include the Shimmier in a stable version of NeoLemmix, because there were no further bug reports or wishes to change the behaviour of the skill?
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 11:41:54 AM »
Whether the skill remains in the stable version or not, I hope the experimental version remains available in case it is removed from "main NeoLemmix" again. Just like 1.43 remained available to play gimmick- and 10.13 remained available to play radiation/slowfreeze/anti-splat pad levels.

The difference is that 1.43-F and 10.13.18 were stable versions, not experimentals. And for those, creation of new content for them is strongly discouraged, as you know - they're kept available so that older content that hasn't been (or can't be) converted to newer versions can still be played. No promises are made regarding the ongoing availability of experimentals and you absolutely should not ever release content that relies on an experimental feature that hasn't yet / never did (as applicable) make it into stable versions, except maybe if that feature is purely cosmetic. (I don't mean this in the sense of "We won't let you do it, we'll delete your posts, etc" - we're not going to do that - but simply in the sense of "That's a really, really, really bad idea.")

Adding the Shimmier is Nepster's thing, so it's really up to him to make the call on whether it stays or goes. I don't personally see any reason not to keep it. EDIT: And Nepster has stated the same, that Shimmier is almost certainly going to be included in the next stable release, with few (if any) further changes. I would still advise not relying on any very precise details of its mechanics (eg. don't create a ceiling, if you can avoid it, that's exactly the height a reacher can reach - give a few pixels of wiggle room. Likewise, don't push it to the limit with slopes, etc) just yet, but it's probably safe to use it in general - just keeping in mind you might need to tweak your levels for a version or two of NL while any potential remaining wrinkles are ironed out.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 11:10:00 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 01:37:49 PM »
That's just what I thought - if creation of content for experimental versions were also discouraged, nobody would end up really testing the experimental version to run it through all its gears, right? :D

Okay, back to topic, guys: Who has been so kind as to convert grnk_electric and grnk_digital, and does this user also still have the translation tables for splitting up those two styles into the New Formats equivalents? ;)
My packs so far: