Author Topic: New to Lemmings Forums.  (Read 3152 times)

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
New to Lemmings Forums.
« on: May 02, 2019, 10:08:13 PM »
Hello I'm new to the Lemmings Forums but not lemmings itself I've been a fan of lemmings for a long time. I've been playing lots of different level packs on Neolemmix for a while and I thought well why not join the forums instead of browsing around it as a guest. I have made a few levels with the level editor and I'm thinking of making a level pack soon. So yeah just wanted to say that I've joined.

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
Re: New to Lemmings Forums.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 10:17:02 PM »
Welcome! There are plenty of veterans of Lemmings and many other things to do here on this forum, so enjoy your stay~ ;)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 10:43:29 PM »
Welcome to the party Shmolean, :thumbsup: Creating a level pack can be quite fun, sometimes it can be hard thinking of ideas if you were to do a very big pack. I must ask out of curiosity, have you completed the original or oh no more lemmings? It is a very hard one to master and can be a great achievement on its own.:thumbsup:

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 10:57:31 PM »
I have gotten to the second last level of lemmings and can't even beat crazy in oh no more lemmings. Oh and with my level pack I've completed half of the first rank called "Learning" which pretty much just shows you all the lemmings skills (Including the neolemmix skills).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 11:07:13 PM by Shmolem »

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 11:12:30 PM »
But I'm having a problem (I'm on the newest version of neolemmix by the way.) every time I try to test a level an error pops up saying: " The graphic set .dat can not be found." I'm so confused I've tried everything.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 11:22:24 PM »
Welcome to the forums :)

It's nice that we are still getting new members after all this time, especially seasoned Lemmings fans. If any other Guests who haven't signed up are thinking of signing up, I advise you to go ahead and do it, we're all a nice bunch on here and don't bite! I find that level packs from newer members tend to be just as good as those from the veteran level pack creators, people also tend to prefer level packs with easier difficulty levels so I wish you the best of luck with creating your level pack.

It's nice that you have already played NeoLemmix custom content before signing up, I feel that playing packs created by other users is the best way to learn and make your own levels even better. You can even open other people's levels up in the NeoLemmix editor if you want to learn how to use the editor even better.
(I even have some tutorials on my Youtube channel on the NeoLemmix tools if you want to learn even more on using the tools, they've been helpful to other people I hear)

You can also post a development topic for your in progress level pack in the Level packs forum subforum "In Development" once you have a name for your level pack project. It can just be a working title if you haven't got a final level pack name just yet :)

Most of all, it's entirely up to you how you make your level pack. While others might give feedback on your levels after solving them on how to make them better, if you are happy with your pack, then that is the best thing of all :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 11:23:46 PM »
What's the exact error message you're getting - word for word? (Or even better, a screenshot?)

The reason I ask this is that I can't find anything in the source code that even would generate such an error on the latest version. ".dat" hasn't had anything to do with graphic sets since the move to new-formats (ie: V12.xx.xx). If I have the exact wording, I can search the source code for segments of it.

I haven't been active in working on the NeoLemmix source code for a long time until very recently, so I'm not as familiar with it as I once was. Thus, being able to search for keywords would be very helpful here.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 11:43:51 PM »
The error is exactly: The graphic set ".dat" could not be found.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 11:52:19 PM »
I've had this error message before namida so it isn't an isolated case, I couldn't find out what the root cause of it was and it just stopped doing it by itself.

Possible reasons could be, is the editor trying to load the old format of NeoLemmix for some reason. This can happen if you have the old format player in the same folder as the new format.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 12:11:10 AM »
The error is exactly: The graphic set ".dat" could not be found.

Okay, there's definitely nothing in New Formats source code that could generate this error. The phrase "graphic set" literally doesn't exist in the code, outside of comments (which have no bearing on the actual EXE file). Do you have a copy of old-formats NeoLemmix (ie: V10.XX.XX, or V1.xx) as well? Those versions could certainly generate such an error message.

If you do - while it's useful for playing some older content (though we very strongly advise against creating new content for it - yes, new-formats culled a few features, but it also continually adds new ones that tend to be far more useful), we recommend keeping old-formats and new-formats NeoLemmix in separate folders.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 12:38:42 AM »
I solved it I had an older version of the player I got the newer version it's all good now

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 08:34:38 AM »
Welcome to the forums, Shmolem! ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2019, 04:28:26 AM »
Just wanted to announce that I’ve finished the first rank in my level pack called Learning with 10 levels in it I’m planning to do four more ranks with 20 levels each