Off-Topic Boards > General Discussion

grams88 Blog

(1/7) > >>

grams88:
Hi everyone

I thought I would do a blog as I notice others are doing a similar thing.

Going back to when I done a bungee jump I remember thinking to myself what are you crazy. I remember around christmas time my brother got us a Guinness world records book which I found quite magical in a way. It was interesting all the different world records people had, I was thinking to myself that it would be cool having a record myself but anyway that's probably around the time that I started to think about doing a bungee jump.

It was a great day out, I remember looking forward to giving it a go. I prepared myself by looking at youtube videos of others doing a bungee jump and I was trying imagine in that same scenario. When you are about to jump they tell you that you should not look down and you should try not to think about it too much as that is when the worry starts to set in.

It was an achievement I'm quite proud of and the amount of confidence you get when you have achieved it. :thumbsup:

Funny thing that happened the months coming up to the bungee jump was a story came up in the news about a lady who done a bungee jump at the Victoria falls ended up getting injured when her cord snapped, she ended up in the water fighting for her life. This is certainly one thing you have to keep in mind is that there are risks associated with the extreme sport. Before I booked myself up for the bungee jump I sent the team an e-mail asking what there safety record was as I was worried if something was to go wrong. They sent an e-mail back to myself saying that they had an 100% safety record. Maybe when you think about it there are more chances that you could get killed driving to the bungee site rather than the bungee itself but anyway I have not looked too much into that aspect of it.

grams88

Simon:
Nice! I've never tried bungee jumping. Righteous to try something new from time to time, something outside the comfort zone.

Bungee jumping is probably very safe.

We fall prey to availability bias: It's easy to picture bungee cords snapping or planes crashing, especially when plane crashes make the news. But the easy availability of such mental imagery doesn't make disasters more likely.

-- Simon

grams88:
Thanks for the reply, I think you are right Simon that Bungee jumping is probably very safe. I felt a lot more comfortable when the e-mail came back saying that they have a 100% safety record, I hope I have not tempted fate by saying that but there we go. The feeling after doing the bungee jump is quite good, you feel that you have achieved something.

Nessy:
That's quite a story grams88! I also think it's important to try something new once in a while to step out of your comfort zone. I think it's too easy to think about everything that could go wrong when you try something out of your comfort zone and it stops the person from trying and sometimes they try it, have a bad experience, and it affects their ability to try something new again in the future. Despite that I think it's always good to prepare for the worst so you can focus on the best which you did by emailing the people about their safety record.

grams88:
Thanks Nessy, that sure was right out my comfort zone. :thumbsup: Still can't believe I done it. :)

This might actually be related to the last topic I was talking about in relation to doing things you would love to do but you keep putting it off. The bungee jump one did seem to me like something out the blue. I think it is a really good thing to have goals even if those goals sound ridiculous.

The goals or things you want to do in life that you would really enjoy. Maybe myself I'm actually wanting to get back into basketball as that was something I done quite well at, might not be so good now at the age of 30 but you never know. I think getting involved in a sport can only benefit us. We kind of don't want to leave it too late but then again what is too late.

What goals can I put down, I would probably try and not make the list too big as I feel it would more of a doing just for the sake of doing it, not really enjoying it at all. Visiting the places or place where they created lemmings might actually be a goal for a lot of us here,  I had to get that one in there. :)

I would love to hear what goals you have in mind. Some examples might be learning to ride a bike or getting on a gameshow. Others might be thinking of something such as completing a video game that means a lot to you or programming a video game. Visiting places will probably be a popular one, I would love to visit my old college building, urban exploratioin can be quite fun if that is something you fancy. Writing a book tends to be a very popular one as well.

grams88

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version