Author Topic: Level Design Contest #17  (Read 3109 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Level Design Contest #17
« on: March 31, 2019, 02:43:56 PM »
Welcome to another contest of the Lemmingsforums! This time the three rules have been picked by Colorful Arty for winning contest #15.

A few words to new participants and forum members: If you haven't entered before, I strongly encourage you to try - even if you don't win, it's fun to participate; and we have had cases where first-time entrants have won before!; there are three choices of rules given, you may enter one level each for up to two of the rules.
You may either use new format NeoLemmix, or Lix.
If you have two entries, they may (but do not have to) be for the same engine. Please make sure you tested your level for basic solvability before submitting and be sure to also submit any custom tileset you are using, so others have no problem playing your level. ;)

Pre contest testing: You can choose 1 person who does a bit of pre-testing for you, so that the biggest backroutes and screw-ups of your levels can be detected before the playing phase. I cannot control this so it's only a guideline, but still I would prefer not everyone knows every level before the playing phase starts. ;)

Here are the rules on how the submission deadlines work:
- Initial submission phase deadline will extend such that it's 72 hours from the time of the last submission, up to the 5th submission (inclusive). After this it no longer changes no matter what.
- Update phase deadline will not extend over the initial dead line!
- Even if you missed the cutoff date for the initial submission phase, late entries are accepted until the update phase ends. There is no penalty for a late entry, beyond that people are less likely to spend as much time on the level before voting begins.

And here is the new ruleset:

Rule 1

Make a level only using tilesets that you haven't used before in a level you have publicly published. VGASPECs are not allowed!
In the case that you have published levels that collectively use every tileset (likely only to happen in Lix), then make a level only using tileset pieces that you either haven't used before or use infrequently (You may use whatever objects you like in this case).
We likely won't be able to strictly enforce this rule, so it will be a bit of an honors system, but if you make a level that clearly doesn't use anything unfamiliar to you, it will be rejected. This is a rule to encourage you to try one or more of the many different tilesets the forumers have created.

Rule 2

Make a level that gives you:

-    Exactly one type of permanent skill (Climbers, Floaters, Gliders, Swimmers, Disarmers or Runners)
-    Exactly one type of continuous constructive skill (Builders, Platformers or Stackers)
-    Exactly one type of continuous destructive skill (Bashers/Shovelers, Miners, Diggers/Stampers, Fencers)
-    Exactly one type of sacrificial skill (Bombers/Exploders/Imploders, Stoners, Cubers)
-    Exactly one type of instant skill (Blockers, Walkers, Cloners, Jumpers, Batters)

This means five different skills will be assigned, but you can assign as many of a given skill as you want. Example level gives you: 5 climbers, 2 bashers, 1 builder, 3 bombers, and 2 cloners.
Each type of skill needs to play some role towards the intended solution. For example, putting disarmers on a level with no traps would not be allowed!

Rule 3

Select a piece of terrain from any tileset and make a level using only that type of terrain piece. VGASPECs are not allowed!
You can insert as many duplicates of that piece as you want, and you can use other terrain pieces as erasers, but the only visible pieces can be that one type you selected. For example, you could make a level using nothing but the wishing well from the Dirt tileset and use other terrain pieces such as pillars from the Pillar tileset to erase parts of the wishing wells, but you cannot make the pillars visible on your level.
You are not limited in which or how many objects you can place in a level!

Submission phase ends May 7th 2019 at 00:00 UTC. This should give everyone enough time to think about a level. :) Deadline for the playing / update phase will be announced when it begins.

Ruleset in detail again: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2246.0

Send me a personal message with your level/s and if needed tileset/s to participate. It would also be nice to also tell me the rule which each level satisfies.

Prize selection:
- US $5.00
- One month's advertising on the forums news ticker
- Pick next contest's rules

Entries so far: 13

- IchoTolot (2)
- nin10doaddict (2)
- The Tomato Watcher (1)
- Nessy (1)
- Crane (2)
- Colorful Arty (2)
- SQron188 (2)
- Proxima (1)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 05:38:19 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Level Design Contest #17
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 03:37:57 PM »
As I am submitting my first entry....

I want to remind you on the new default naming scheme for contest entries:

Author_Levelname_RuleVersion

Examples:

IchoTolot_A very good Level!_R2V1
Bob_Builderfest_R1V23

So please, when submitting and later updating levels, use this format for the filenames! :)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 01:26:35 PM »
A bit more than a week remains until the playing phase. Be sure to get the submissions ready! ;)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 11:28:14 PM »
For the single tile rule, can the tile be rotated and flipped as well, or must they all be the same orientation?

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 02:27:02 PM »
You can flip, invert, or rotate the tiles however you want. ;)
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 11:37:13 AM »
The last days to get your entries in, don't forget to submit. ;)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 07:38:36 PM »
Is the deadline tonight or tomorrow? Midnight is confusing as it's unclear as to which day it falls on.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 07:42:13 PM »
Tonight, but yes it's a bit unclear. Will specify it more next time.

It doesn't matter in the end though as making the pack and setting everything up always takes another day or 2. :P    + submissions are also still open during the playing phase.