Author Topic: Ski Sloping Lemmings (80 Levels)  (Read 1926 times)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
Re: Ski Sloping Lemmings (80 Levels)
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2019, 09:20:59 pm »
Thanks for the information Namida

Hoping I do the spoiler thing okay. :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorry a bit all over the place with the levels , I get confused easily. I loved watching your video Swedis and thanks to Namida,, I might maybe try a 10 level pack at sometime in the future and avoid the long building type levels.

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2019, 11:03:16 pm »
Hey Grams88,

thank your for watching my videos. I don't have to add a lot to what Namida has written since he perfectly summarized what could be done better. Just want to say: Don't take the criticism too much to your heart. I'll tell you something: I didn't create a level pack by myself so far, so it's absolutely unproven if I could do it better. And I'm quite sure your next pack will be a step forward. (I will finish this pack here, though.)

Greetings, Swerdis
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:26:00 pm by Swerdis »

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2019, 10:13:59 pm »
Interesting reading what Namida has wrote, I will try to take that into account when I make my next pack, I don't think I will be changing much with this pack, it was even tricky making this one. :) I felt as if I made not bad puzzles considering not knowing much about Neolemmix and the tricks that many of us are used to. The big criticism seems to be with the heavy building and yes I agree a lot of the levels can get tedious because of this but I feel as if the later levels aren't really a build anyway type of levels. I feel as is some of the later levels you have to think a little bit before you build. A lot of the earlier levels were more following the lines of the original tricky levels in where you can build anyway so to say.

I could maybe focus on smaller levels in the future with less building. I can't really change this pack a lot, I wouldn't even no where to begin so it is what is. I would say this is not a pack for the regular forum members but more of a one for the newer members who have not really tried much neolemmix out. I wanted it to be a slight step up from the oh no more lemmings in that the tutorial levels are not meant to be your standard tutorial levels and they are meant to be a bit more challenging than your normal tutorial levels.

I'm hoping at least a lot the forum members do get a tiny tiny tiny amount of enjoyment from the level pack

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2019, 10:32:45 pm »
Just some quick updates to two of the levels.

(Cave climbing) I have removed the barrier to the right and change some of the skill limits.
Thanks to Swerdis for this one. I mean to the left ooopps

(Will you rescue me) has some more steel areas. I think I thought about changing it slightly after watching Nepster's Attempt at the level.

I will update the download link on the first page where you download the pack. (Many thanks)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 12:00:18 am by grams88 »

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2019, 09:38:37 pm »
Hoping it is okay to post Swerdis's attempts or completing the (Ski Sloping Lemmings) if that's okay from Swerdis :) I think he plays through Deceits's pack as well which is a highly regarded pack in the community.

I try to avoid watching other playthroughs of packs if it is one I'm thinking of playing in the future, I guess you could say the same applies here. Be careful not to look at the youtube video if you are not wanting to see the solution to the levels in the pack.

I do have a lot of heavy building levels but the later levels of the pack gets you to think where to place the builders instead just randomly building and building. There's only a few levels which just contain the exploder, I thought the instant exploder works well in this scenario. (lol)  A little bit of my thinking because we have the frame stepping features I feel as if that will cut down on the tedious of the building in some levels. I did find if I did make a mistake in one of the levels the reverse feature seemed to take a long time, maybe it was the wrong button I was pressing, it was a frame stepping backwards type of thing if that makes sense.

I tend to take longer with things, what I mean by this is if I try to learn something usually if it is the level editor or duke3d level editor, if I leave it for maybe three or four weeks I feel like I need to relearn it, if I leave something for two or three weeks I get scared just incase I forget how to use it again. This seems to be a thing with me if I was to start projects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq44L_5A-c8&list=UUOahFY7zAWCoGpKOQdUf7mw&index=45
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 08:16:34 pm by grams88 »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2019, 09:47:39 pm »
I did find if I did make a mistake in one of the levels the reverse feature seemed to take a long time, maybe it was the wrong button I was pressing, it was a frame stepping backwards type of thing if that makes sense.

NeoLemmix has a one-frame back button on the skill panel (if you aren't using the compact panel). You can go back one second by right-clicking it, or 5 seconds by middle-clicking it. (The same right/middle click equivalents also apply to the forward 1 frame button.)

You can configure hotkeys to jump forward or back by any amount of time you want. I'm not sure about the functional layout (but you can check under Config -> Hotkeys), but the traditional layout has:

< - Back 5 seconds
- - Back 1 second
B - Back 1 frame
N - Forward 1 frame
> - Forward 5 seconds
Spacebar - Forward 10 seconds

There's also two special skips that can be configured with hotkeys, which on the traditional layout are mapped to [ and ] respectively. The first jumps backwards to the last skill assignment, while the second jumps forwards until either a shrugger exists, or there are no active platformers, builders or stackers.

Finally, there is also the "Save State" feature. This doesn't carry over once you exit gameplay, but by configuring a hotkey, you can press Save State (under traditional layout, Enter) to save and Load State (under traditional layout, Backspace) to load. Note that this saves and loads replay data too, not just the current time position! This can be useful if you want to try something, but might want to revert back to your previous replay later - it's quicker than actually saving (and viewing part of) a replay file for this purpose.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2019, 08:15:45 pm »
(Thanks Namida for the information will have as look into that one as that will make things a lot easier).

NEW NEWS PLEASE READ

I've been thinking and I might maybe remove a level from each rank, I will try to remove the most hated level from each rank to bring the level pack down to 76 levels. Hoping not to edit any of the levels as it stands unless there is a serious backroute problem which I hope there is not.

Levels I might remove are (Blue Slope) = (Pillers of earth)
                                       (Red Slope) = (Inspired level)
                                       (Black Slope) = (Video game text) Looks like a horrible level
                                       (Orange Slope) = (Inspired by Ben Conway) Too much building

Should be okay to download now, I had a few problems and I think I managed to sort it out now.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 08:42:03 pm by grams88 »