Author Topic: Level of the Year 2018: Voting, Phase 1 (16 levels qualified for Phase 2)  (Read 3227 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Welcome to the Level of the Year 2018 voteoff!

So, most of you will know how this works, but just in case - and so that specifics are covered - here's a quick rundown.

The nominated levels have been divided into 5 groups of 5 or in one case 6 levels, semi-randomly. To be specific, the division was done in such a way that a single author wouldn't have too many levels in a single group.

Each group will be voted on one at a time, with only 2 levels from each group advancing to Phase 2. We try to bring the number down to 2 in 1 Round. I plan no tiebreakers for this and if we have a minor tie then all tied levels advance. In case of major ties (4+ levels), I might run a tiebreaker.

If we then have ~10 levels in phase 2, these will be split up into 2 groups. I also plan to just let 2 of each group survive with no tiebreakers if possible. So that ~4 levels will be in the final phase 3 and only there I will enforce placements with tiebreakers.

If you want to see the full list of nominated levels in non-randomized order, check the nominations list topic
If you want to play these levels without having to dig up all the various level packs, check the playing phase topic which has an NXP available for download that contains all the nominated levels.

Please remember that discussing the nominated levels is not allowed in the LOTY2018 topics now that voting has begun. This does not apply to levels that have already been eliminated at the time. Discussing them elsewhere in the site is okay, as long as it's not in the context of LOTY2018.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 06:21:53 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Level of the Year 2018: Voting, Phase 1 (Current: Group 1 Round 1)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 12:34:23 PM »
Total number of levels: 26

Group 1:

Nessy's "Flaming Hallway" (Lemmings Destination level 5)
namida's "Swampflower" (Lemmings Plus VI Delirious 15)
IchoTolot's "Laboratory D-E-S-C-E-N-T" (Level Design Contest #15)
kieranmillar's "Brickin' 'eck" (Not Fun 6 in v05 of Quest From Kieran)
GigaLem's "A Village on the lake" (Festival Millas 2018 Mayelo 5)

Group 2:

Nessy's "Journey" (Contest #14 Winner, NeoLemmix)
namida's "Dareful Drop (Part II)" (Lemmings Plus VI - Delirious 12)
namida's "Tight Schedule" (Level Design Contest #15 / LPVI Manic 11)
IchoTolot's "Arctic Oscillation" (Level Design Contest #14)
kieranmillar's "Increasing Productivity" (Not Fun 2 in v05 of Quest From Kieran)

Group 3:

Nessy's "A Shortcut Through Downtown" (Festival Millas 2018 Artiko 7)
namida's "The Highbridge (Part II)" (Lemmings Plus VI Delirious 19)
Colorful Arty's "See you on the Flipside, Doofus!" (Contest #15 Winner, NeoLemmix)
tan x dx's "12 Steps to Success" (Integral Lemmings Delta 05)
IchoTolot's "Laboratory A-S-C-E-N-T" (Level Design Contest #15)
bulletride's "Medusa" (Level Design Contest #14)

Group 4:

Nessy's "Loving the Chaos" (Lemmings Destination level 7)
namida's "The Highbridge" (Lemmings Plus VI Delirious 7)
Colorful Arty's "It's Lemmings Doofus!" (Contest #15 Winner, NeoLemmix)
Crane's "Mind The Gap!" (Random Level Sharing Thread)
GigaLem's "In the halls of the Amihan" (Festival Millas 2018 Artiko 5)

Group 5:

Nessy's "Crossover" (Lemmings Destination Demo - level 8)
namida's "Into The Web" (Lemmings Plus VI Delirious 5)
Gronkling's "Come Back!" (Contest #15 Entry, NeoLemmix)
tan x dx's "Precision engineered lemming" (Integral Lemmings Epsilon 06)
Raymanni's "Little house on the hill" (Level Design Contest #14)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 08:43:36 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Level of the Year 2018: Voting, Phase 1 (Current: Group 2 Round 1)
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 03:57:38 PM »
We had a medium sized tie, so 2 extra levels move up for now. :)

Next group is up!

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Level of the Year 2018: Voting, Phase 1 (Current: Group 3 Round 1)
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 05:14:04 PM »
Moving on to group 3! :)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Level of the Year 2018: Voting, Phase 1 (Current: Group 4 Round 1)
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 06:53:09 PM »
The voting for group 4 is now up! :)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Level of the Year 2018: Voting, Phase 1 (Current: Group 5 Round 1)
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 08:33:38 PM »
Onto the last group now! ;)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 06:36:22 PM »
After this round closes I will form a new set of groups to bring the number down further, so that ideally we have 4-8 levels for the final group. This might take a day or so. ;)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 10:48:56 PM »
Well, if my count is correct, we have 16 levels that have made it into the next round, so the perfect arrangement would be 4 more rounds where the total number halves each time... to 8, then 4, then 2 then finally a winner.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 03:15:39 PM »
Well, if my count is correct, we have 16 levels that have made it into the next round, so the perfect arrangement would be 4 more rounds where the total number halves each time... to 8, then 4, then 2 then finally a winner.

I will make new groups, but I will aim for ~ 6 survivors, so after the next stage we will have the final group. I won't make a giant group of 16 levels!

The next phase will be 4 groups with 4 levels. Survival rate will be aimed at 25%, so only 1 level should survive in a group.
Why that? I aimed for 10 level in this phase and ties pumped that number up to 16 (60% more than aimed for), as we want to avoid tiebreakers and speed up the process a bit. With now aiming for 4 survivors and counting ties in we should end up higher again ~6, which I would call a good group size. 4 would also be totally fine here if no ties happen. :)

The plan for the last part is:
The ~6 surviving levels will then be brought down to the final 3 in 1 round. This will be enforced by tiebreakers!

Offline Crane

• View Profile
I didn't mean a group of 16 levels, but I didn't word that too well. Round 2.1 to 2.4 as you're doing now, with hopefully 2 survivors apiece.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I didn't mean a group of 16 levels, but I didn't word that too well. Round 2.1 to 2.4 as you're doing now, with hopefully 2 survivors apiece.

Then we run into the risk of eliminating too few to put them into 1 group after the phase is over and slow down the progress. We save time with doing no tiebreakers, but a low elimination rate can cancel this out again.

I will stick to 1 base survivor with ties resulting into additional survivors. People wanted a faster process and I will deliver.