Author Topic: Baba is You (puzzle game)  (Read 18322 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Baba is You (puzzle game)
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 07:27:42 AM »
Just want to add that even the music may be improved from the demo.  At least there's more variety.

Baba is You OST

Basically, the demo version is more like an early beta, less like a limited free trial of full version.  It's equivalent to those beta/demo versions of Lemmings, Lemmings 2 etc. people have talked about and posted here in the past, usually consisting of just a few levels to give you a taste.  You can probably expect slightly better graphics, music, sound and gameplay in the full version.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 09:57:01 PM »
Makes me wonder how easy or hard it might be to reverse engineer the binary formats of the level files and thereby potentially create your own levels to play using the demo.
The game is apparently made with Multimedia Fusion 2 (A game maker-like engine), but I don't know if it has a build-in system for saving levels or not. This could be used as a potential starting point.

I own both MMF2 (though long since lost my discs, still have my legit licence key though, and I think I have a pirated but uncracked ISO somewhere which can be used together with the legit key) and its sequel, Clickteam Fusion 2.5.

There's no inherent support for external saving / loading of levels, but with a bit of effort it's very possible to use text-based custom formats (binary is possible too, even without a purpose-built extension, but it's very tricky). Many larger games built in it do exactly that.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2019, 11:56:47 AM »
Basically, the demo version is more like an early beta, less like a limited free trial of full version.
That is always the case, if the demo is the original Jam entry. ;)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2021, 06:13:54 PM »
A friend of mine recently recommended me a game called "Recursed". I'm in the middle of it (similar to my progress in Baba, I have to get back to that at some point), and it feels quite similar to Baba in spirit in that there are a few simple mechanics (even fewer than in Baba I'd argue) which are simple to grasp on their own, but combine in complex ways that are often hard to wrap your head around.
The premise is that each level consists of a few rooms. Entering rooms works via entering chests that are located in some other rooms (or the same room), and you can exit these rooms again to pop back out from the chest via which you entered the room. When you exit a room like that, the state you left it in is forgotten and when you enter it again, it will be back in its initial state. It's basically like a recursive function call, with the chests you entered being the stack. The twist is that you can carry one object and bring it with you when entering or exiting a chest, and this object can be a chest itself.
Like in Baba the difficulty ramps up quite quickly, and you have many simple looking puzzles that are quite complex.
I found the levels design and the progression quite well done though, and I'd argue slightly cleaner than in Baba even.

I believe it is unfortunately only available on Steam (75% off right now there), but at least it runs on Linux.
Reddit thread with some philosophy by the author and a Steam link: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/5c21fq/recursed_a_logic_platform_game_developed_on_linux/

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2021, 10:33:52 AM »
I love Baba Is You! Picked it up on offer for £8 from Steam, worth every penny :lemcat:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 03:22:00 PM by WillLem »

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2021, 11:52:29 AM »
Great little game!
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2021, 02:09:57 AM »
finally caved and bought both of these games, Baba and recursed, which geoo mentioned. They are quite unique and excellent games. I just wish the graphics of Baba were much more....... better.

already stumped on level...... 7 I think?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2021, 10:55:51 PM »
Interesting to see a thread on here for this game bumped recently, I picked this up at the tail end of last year and it has consumed most of my free time since. A tremendously good game.

It seems I picked it up at the right time, as a level editor is in public beta on Steam. I've already made 26 puzzles.

It's wild how hard it is to try and make a simple puzzle and how levels can become really hard and complex very quickly. Trying real hard to minimize the number of rules in each puzzle, but all words are very powerful and you've got to be real careful what rules you let players manipulate, or things fall apart in a hurry.

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2021, 03:22:53 PM »
Simon have you had any chance of trying out the Baba Is You expansion? Did you get over your anger at those rotated levels yet?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2021, 06:51:36 AM »
No, haven't looked at Baba ever since the first rotated level. >_>

-- Simon

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2021, 11:19:03 PM »
No, haven't looked at Baba ever since the first rotated level. >_>

-- Simon

can someone please explain this to me; as I have this game; got stumped at a level (don't remember where) and I have a  feeling I'm in the same boat as Simon >_>

wait
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2021, 04:19:48 PM »
Well, it's hard to explain anything to you if we don't know which level you are stuck on :P

but

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2021, 06:21:29 PM »
So I finally picked this up a few days ago and have been playing it.

Overall, very creative game. I don't think I'll end up completing it - I'm already reaching the point where the levels are very, very difficult for me - but I'm not stuck yet. One thing I don't like is how there are some tile types that inherently get special properties even without a rule existing anywhere in the level - isn't the whole point meant to be "everything is a written rule", and where a rule exists on a level that isn't intended to be changeable, this is usually achieved by putting it in a corner or otherwise making it impossible to reach. An example of this is the water on the first level of the Lake.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2021, 06:55:37 PM »
One thing I don't like is how there are some tile types that inherently get special properties

There are not, other than the fact that text is pushable without needing a TEXT IS PUSH rule. (This is a fundamental of the game, so I didn't feel it necessary to spoiler it.)

An example of this is the water on the first level of the Lake.

Just to make sure, we're talking about Icy Waters?

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2021, 08:24:30 PM »
I actually still don't have the game, because it wasn't released physically, and I don't buy digital games on the Switch. Hopefully there will be one! (and not as a limited run that sells out immediately)