Author Topic: [Lemmings 2] Lemmings ... In Space!  (Read 8269 times)

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
[Lemmings 2] Lemmings ... In Space!
« on: February 20, 2019, 10:50:19 PM »
Lemmings ... In Space!

After the highly experimental Fun With Blockers I wanted to make a more traditional set of puzzles instead of the "interaction exploration" that Fun With Blockers focuses on. However I had no ideas for any sort of theming or mechanical restrictions, so I did what all good designers do when they have no ideas, and gave this level pack a theme where it takes place in space!

This pack contains 10 levels for the Space Tribe. To install, you need to download the attached zip file and then either:
  • Backup your Lemmings 2 LEVELS folder and overwrite the files with the contents of the zip, which will permanently replace the levels with these ones.
  • Copy your Lemmings 2 game into a new folder and then overwrite the contents of the LEVELS folder of the copy with the contents of the zip file, and point DosBox to the new copy of the game.

This is a save everyone pack, with one exception, as always this one level has the number of lemmings you can lose stated in the level title. Hint: it's the one that has the Exploder skill in it.

Because it's impossible to properly talk about a Lemmings 2 pack without warnings about execution requirements, I've come up with the following difficulty categories that I'm going to use to describe all my L2 packs going forward, based on my own testing:

Puzzle Difficulty - Medium to High. Never reaches the heights of Quest From Kieran 2 but levels always try to do something interesting. Good understanding of general Lemmings 1 gameplay will help here more than all my other Lemmings 2 packs.
Game Mechanic Knowledge - Only one obscure interaction: Sand poured on a flat surface does not turn the lemming if they are a Climber. Otherwise nothing beyond basic understanding of skill fundamentals like how Glue Pourers and Rock Climbers work. This pack is very low on "skill interaction tricks".
Precision Execution - Skill assignments are only precise where it is impossible to avoid, of which there are some. Otherwise every care has been taken to reduce precision where possible.
Fan Execution - Only one instance: very easy ballooning.
Timing Execution - Use of the pause key for rapid-fire skill assignment might be needed in 3 of the levels.
Crowd Execution - Big messy crowds of lemmings can accumulate in a number of levels. In one excess skills to free the crowd are provided because it doesn't break the puzzle, in others mashing the pause key waiting for a good gap in the crowd has never failed me during my testing.
Other Lemmings 2 Annoyances - The Magno Booter can sometimes detach itself in places where the player alters the terrain, and unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it. Sorry!

Level 5: Constructing a Starport

I'm super happy with how this pack has turned out and I hope you enjoy it too.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 09:13:30 PM by kieranmillar »

Offline exit

• View Profile
Re: [Lemmings 2] Lemmings ... In Space!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 03:44:28 PM »
I played through the levels and I liked them a lot! :)

In general I think the puzzles were pretty good difficulty, and the execution was what's pretty normal for Lemmings 2. I got the intended solution on most of the levels, but I did find a few backroutes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Overall I really liked this pack. Liked you said, it wasn't too difficult, but I think it had the right amount of challenge to be fun. :thumbsup:

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 09:26:30 PM »
exit, thanks a ton for playing and I'm glad that you enjoyed it. I have uploaded a version 2, attached to the opening post, to fix some backroutes. I'd really appreciate if you could try levels 8 and 9 again.

v2 changelog:

Some comments on your comments:

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 12:06:18 AM »
Today I was only able to take a real quick look at the two levels you updated. I was able to mess around for a bit but didn't have enough time to really sit down and solve them. They look like they're going to be interesting, though! I'll try and play them as soon as I have time.

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 07:38:20 AM »
Sorry if I implied any sort of urgency in asking you to take a look, take as long as you need. There is absolutely no rush.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 09:01:48 AM »
Looking forward to play, too!

geoo and I will blind-race Fun With Blockers on Sunday, 2019-03-03, starting 19:00 UTC. I estimate the race to take 2-3 hours.

http://multitwitch.tv/simonnaar/dont_delete_my_account

-- Simon
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 04:05:37 PM by Simon »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 04:09:18 PM »
Is there already a backroute fix for 8. Hyperspace Loop?

A fascinating level, and I'd really like to re-solve it without the

-- Simon

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 07:48:35 PM »
Hi Simon,

Nothing yet, I have been busy with relocation for my new job. A place has now been found but time has been spent packing and updating address details etc. I move on Monday, but will be without internet except mobile phone data until 2nd April. On the plus side, I have the week off work before my new job starts on the 1st and will hopefully have some time finally free of other distractions to look at this plus some older outstanding projects to upload when internet returns.