Author Topic: Level of the Year 2018: Playing Phase  (Read 6055 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Level of the Year 2018: Playing Phase
« on: February 18, 2019, 05:24:26 PM »
Alright, so nominations are now closed. Before we open the voting, we first offer a period to play the levels again, to familiarize yourself with those you haven't yet played and review those you have.

The list of nominated levels can be found in the nominations topic, I see no need to duplicate it here. It also contains information on where to find these levels.

Download links:

- Levelpack of all but 1 nominated levels.

Every author with 2 or more levels in this category gets an own rank in the pack. At the end there is a mixed rank for the leftover levels. Put the pack's folder in the "levels" folder of your NeoLemmix player.

- Needed special tilesets and soundfiles

This archive contains all needed special tilesets for the pack. Without them some levels won't load! Put the tileset folders in the "styles" folder and the ".wav" files in the "sound" folder of your NeoLemmix player.

- Music tacks

The custom music tacks of the nominated levels. Put the music files in the "music" folder of your NeoLemmix player.

- Replay collection

Some gathered replays from a few of the nominated levels. As this was optional, only a part of the pack is covered here.

Level not included in the pack:

- bulletride's Medusa

As no conversion of the level and the custom tileset was provided by the author. I know that the level should be convertable though. It can be accessed through the old contest topic the level took part in. You will need an old format NL player though.

Playing phase will end: March 21th 2019

General level feedback and solution replays can be posted here in the topic if you want! Have fun playing! :)

If there are any errors I've made in the collection, don't hesitate to inform me here!

Offline Crane

• View Profile
Re: Level of the Year 2018: Playing Phase
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 12:51:00 AM »
You've added the level file for "Mind the Gap!" in the replay pack, not the replay.

And maybe I'm just tired, but I'm sort of frustrated because I haven't solved any of the levels yet.  I feel inferior again.

(Also, why is "Loving the Chaos" the only level with a talisman?)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 01:44:39 AM by Crane »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 08:09:02 AM »
You've added the level file for "Mind the Gap!" in the replay pack, not the replay.

(Also, why is "Loving the Chaos" the only level with a talisman?)

I fixed the replay.

For the talisman: I have no idea how to add them, as I never used talismans.

Nessy's level automatically had the talisman upon combining the pack - it was surprising for me as well. So it must be something that the level itself - not the pack - has. I had nothing to do with the talisman.

You can add a talisman to your level and send me the talisman included version though. I have nothing against them.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 08:15:56 AM by IchoTolot »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 06:43:02 PM »
Alright, I've updated the pack to include the updated version Crane sent me. "Mind the Gap" now has a talisman.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 10:36:26 PM »
I can't load the first three of Namida's levels... missing graphics set:

"Error loading the level: Could not find object piece: namida_basement:window"

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 10:47:12 PM »
Do you have the basement tileset? I checked the NL standard library and "namida_basement" + "window.png" is present there.

When did you update your NL? Could it be that you have an outdated version, or an outdated styles folder?

The levels load for me with no problems.

You can get the newest standard styles collection here: https://www.neolemmix.com/?page=neolemmix

Also that reminds me about my forgotten topic: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4059.0   :8():

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 03:15:41 AM »
For a while the NL styles had bugged copies of the Basement and Bridge sets (Garden was unaffected). Redownloading the NeoLemmix styles should fix this.

With that being said, the Lemmings Plus VI musics need to be in a folder "Lemmings_Plus_VI" inside the music folder; not in the base music folder themself. The music download ZIP does not correctly reflect this.

I've solved the first three of Nessy's levels.

A Shortcut Through Downtown (click to show/hide)
Crossover (click to show/hide)
Flaming Hallway (click to show/hide)

I've made several attempts at the next one, Odyssey. While I can save a significant portion of the lemmings with the remaining lemmings still alive and safely contained, I have not yet found any solution that actually completes the level.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 08:21:21 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 09:36:48 AM »
For a while the NL styles had bugged copies of the Basement and Bridge sets (Garden was unaffected). Redownloading the NeoLemmix styles should fix this.

With that being said, the Lemmings Plus VI musics need to be in a folder "Lemmings_Plus_VI" inside the music folder; not in the base music folder themself. The music download ZIP does not correctly reflect this.

I've solved the first three of Nessy's levels.

A Shortcut Through Downtown (click to show/hide)
Crossover (click to show/hide)
Flaming Hallway (click to show/hide)

Sorry I forgot to mention the music thing. :-[

I changed the zip so this should be correct now.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 09:19:37 PM »
I get an error about flopsy_scrapbrain:ring_item missing when I try to play Nessy's 5th level. Looking at the files, flopsy_scrapbrain:ring (but not ring_item) exists. Is this an outdated copy of the level, or a file missing from the NeoLemmix styles download (I did redownload it just in case)?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 09:31:43 PM »
My version got the missing file and therefore I got no errors. I don't know from where I got my version though. Might be a library error indeed.

I attached my version.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 09:47:16 PM »
Completed both of Kieran Millar's levels. The first one very much feels like a backroute. The second one I'm not sure if it's intended or a backroute, but it was quite a challenge to find and a very good level either way; I do really like this solution!
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 09:15:46 PM »
Completed tandx's levels. The first one was quite clever - I've used this trick myself in a few levels, so I figured out the trick right away, but figuring out the exact setup took a while. The second one, I recall solving it before, but it took me a while to find the solution again - maybe my original solution was a backroute? Anyway, this requires a lot of precision, but it is a nice underlying idea.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 06:38:22 PM »
Nessy's levels that I've completed so far.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 06:39:03 PM »
My solution to Kieranmillar's second level.

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2019, 07:42:03 PM »
Thank you namida and Crane for the replays :thumbsup:

@namida your solutions were all intended and glad you enjoyed the levels :) Your solution to "A Shortcut Through Downtown" was different than mine but the main ideas are still there so it's perfectly acceptable. Also the tileset issue with the final level should be fixed now in the main styles download but the version IchoTolot posted earlier is also correct.

@Crane your solutions are also all intended. I especially enjoyed your solution to "Loving The Chaos". Really happy to see that this level has so many different and unique solutions.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 07:51:59 PM »
You're welcome Nessy! I'm still trying to work out how on earth to only use 1 Blocker!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 10:17:11 PM »
Solved Nessy's level "Loving the Chaos" that had the missing piece issue before.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2019, 12:29:10 AM »
Encouraged a little by Namida, I decided to give "Living the Chaos" another shot for its talisman.  Got 3 solutions - enjoy!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2019, 01:18:23 AM »
Came back to Journey, and solved it this time.

My Lemmings projects

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 10:28:13 PM »
A minor update to "Mind the Gap!" - the talisman has changed slightly.  No changes to the actual level though.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2019, 12:38:55 AM »
Only 3 days of playtesting left - make sure you test 'em all!

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2019, 01:25:03 AM »
Completed Swampflower

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2019, 07:12:56 AM »
I will prepare the groups for the voting phase. Voting will begin shortly after the 1st poll here: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4159.0

So the result will influence the voting phase. I might open the topic earlier, but the polls will only start after the time duration poll.