Author Topic: SEGA Master System Beta Version  (Read 2532 times)

Offline Adrian060756

• View Profile
SEGA Master System Beta Version
« on: December 14, 2018, 09:06:35 AM »
I just want to make it clear that this version of Lemmings on the Master System (rom submission 2) cannot be completed. I breezed through it until I encountered level 24 of Taxing called ''Take A Running Jump'' which asks for 90% to be saved and only gives you 20 bridges to select, the exit is below a huge pit and there is no way to get down there without a digger, floater or a bomber at least.

Sega Four Level 21 of Taxing can indeed be completed as discovered originally by Pooty, it has extremely low video memory so the less terrain you dig and bash through the better.

After I found out that level 24 of Taxing cannot be completed I gave up playing on any further. I know they're only testing levels but you would think that they would all at least be able to be completed one way or another.;P

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: SEGA Master System Beta Version
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 10:26:19 AM »
Interesting, is that level completely taken out in the final version, or still included somewhere but modified?  Are there other levels in the beta that didn't make the final cut?

It feels like the people who did the porting of the level layout may not have any references to the actual solutions of the original.  In case of this level, in the original version the path taken by the lemmings somewhat unusually relies on some terrain subtleties that aren't apparent at first glance, if you have never played the level or be shown the solution.  So I guess it's not too surprising that their porting (especially considering the beta status so yes, some levels might not even have been playtested yet) missed those subtleties and broke the level as a result.

There's a list of codes for SMS Lemmings on GameFAQs if you want to skip over that level to 25.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 07:41:35 PM »
Interesting, is that level completely taken out in the final version, or still included somewhere but modified?

It's still there, but has a couple of destructive skills unlike the PC / etc version. Which also result in this level being even more ridiculously easy for its position than it already was on PC.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Adrian060756

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 11:29:01 PM »
Interesting, is that level completely taken out in the final version, or still included somewhere but modified?  Are there other levels in the beta that didn't make the final cut?

It feels like the people who did the porting of the level layout may not have any references to the actual solutions of the original.  In case of this level, in the original version the path taken by the lemmings somewhat unusually relies on some terrain subtleties that aren't apparent at first glance, if you have never played the level or be shown the solution.  So I guess it's not too surprising that their porting (especially considering the beta status so yes, some levels might not even have been playtested yet) missed those subtleties and broke the level as a result.

There's a list of codes for SMS Lemmings on GameFAQs if you want to skip over that level to 25.

Level 24 Taxing was fixed in the final and the terrain was altered slightly to make the level easier as did Sega Four.

On a brighter note, when the Lemming pulls the SEGA logo across the screen in the opening intro hold down buttons 1 & 2 and scroll your thumb around the direction button left to right, once you hear a click you have access to any level in the game and yes, this works in the beta version aswell so skipping level 24 is possible but pointless in my eyes because knowing there's a level that isn't able to be completed wrecks the flow of the game for me.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 11:53:00 PM »
It'd be interesting to see a list of differences. The Cutting Room Floor has nothing aside from the level select code in regards to SMS Lemmings.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)