Author Topic: [NO-BUG][PLAYER]Erroneous "Time Taken" calculation  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
[NO-BUG][PLAYER]Erroneous "Time Taken" calculation
« on: February 01, 2019, 03:14:25 AM »
Find attached a replay for "Turn around, young lemmings!"... Gentle 30 in Lemmings Redux.

In this replay (I'm attempting to save 100% using only Builders), the last lemming exits the level at about 1:41, but the time taken is reported as 0:29.18 seconds.

As an educated guess, it might be because the last lemming out of the trapdoor exits relatively quickly (albeit at ~0:36) while some stragglers spend another minute on the level and also performing tasks.

This has been observed in V12.00.01 and V12.04.00:E940A2F of NeoLemmix.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 07:49:17 AM by Nepster »

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: [BUG][PLAYER]Erroneous "Time Taken" calculation
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 05:57:12 AM »
Isn't "time taken" the time until you fulfill the save requirement, not when the last lemming exits?

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 05:59:51 AM »
Oh, you may be right - sorry.  I thought it was the time when the last lemming exits.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 07:15:12 AM »
To be fair, I only learned about this from participating in the level solving contest round 1 and how we handled rankings for that round.  Doesn't help that the post-level screen doesn't explicitly say "time taken to fulfill save requirement" (or similar, but I do understand how difficult it might be to phrase it tersely on such a screen).  Granted, I don't play NeoLemmix much so I'm sure it had been talked about way back when the feature was first implemented to keep records of your "best" attempts, and thus is probably more familiar for the regular players.

You could make an argument that it might be of interest sometimes to also see other related time metrics, like time when last lemming exited or even total time consumed before leaving the level.  Maybe not on the main post-level screen, but some way for the player to optionally go to somewhere that can show these other results.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 07:23:33 AM »
I always thought it was the time when the last lemming exited since most of the levels I play have an exact save requirement or all of the lemmings exit at almost the same time, so the time difference isn't easily noticed.  I also figured, given that the "time taken" is always less than the final time, that it was done that way because it wouldn't be fair to count the time spent using Bombers on leftover Blockers, or the nuke.

Oh well.  Not a bug.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 04:47:05 AM »
This is correct - the taken time displayed on the postview screen is the time taken to meet the save requirement.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)