Author Topic: Make a New Board (or Sub-Board) for Non-Lix Multiplayer Gaming Sessions?  (Read 3408 times)

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
Something that was partially discussed yesterday on Discord and I'm going to pop in here real quick and make a post about it.

It seems that there are a lot of video gaming sessions being scheduled that aren't Lix related such as Ultimate Chicken Horse, Ocarina of Time/Sonic Races, Jackbox, etc. It seems like they are more popular now and have the potential to grow into many more games outside of Lemmings and Lix so I was wondering if it would be more practical now to give them all their own Board or Sub-Board called "Gaming Sessions" or "Non Lix Gaming Sessions" or something along those lines to keep them all in one place.

What do others think?

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: Make a New Board (or Sub-Board) for Non-Lix Multiplayer Gaming Sessions?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 06:20:49 PM »
I just think it would encourage more people to join in if they had their own sub-board because they would be easier to find and the sub-board would outline that all topics on this board are for people to get involved.

I think the biggest problem is we have the same faces in all the sessions, it would be nice to encourage other people and not send out the message that your face has to fit to be able to join in.

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 07:38:10 PM »
I support the idea of a sub-board for this. :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 07:47:57 PM »
Sensible.

I would even merge this with the Lix multiplayer board. Reason: We don't want clashing schedules across the Lix and the non-Lix board. It should be easy to check whether a date is free.

Maybe even schedule streams there and other community events that aren't strictly multiplayer.

Do you agree on a single board for community events? Or should there be two-three boards for Lix/non-Lix/non-multiplayer-community events?

Habits around community activities change all the time. The board should adapt to it, and we should not be afraid to ditch old board structures.

These weeks, we've had some spontaneous Lix multiplayer scheduled on the fly in IRC (quakenet.org #lix). JayV likes to play shorter sessions, often with only 2-player games, several times per week, far more often than only every 2-3 weeks of the large forum-scheduled sessions.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 07:54:31 PM »
It's a tricky issue since the idea of avoiding clashing schedules sounds good but Lix seems to justify its own multiplayer board, from the kind of project it is as well as from the amount of sessions that exists.
If too much is merged there is the danger, that it gets too crowded and unclear again.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 08:05:16 PM »
Right, hmm. Lemmings Forums and #lix are the main hubs for Lix discussions, it would be strange to mix other events into that by design.

Ideally, the sessions would get tags, and Lix sessions got tagged both as Lix and as community event, then one could filter by tags. But the forums don't support that. :lix-winktongue:

The original ideas in this thread are very good anyways. I'm also fine with creating a non-Lix-community-event board or a non-Lix-multiplayer board. I'll go ahead and make one. We could always merge later.

-- Simon

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 08:21:08 PM »
Live Event Scheduling board, I'll shovel some threads into that. Feel free to bicker about what should or should not go in there.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 08:48:11 PM by Simon »

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 08:54:30 PM »
Sounds good to me. Compartmentalization makes searching easier, it's just a matter of "what to merge with what" at this point so that we don't go back to square one.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 10:15:06 PM »
It looks good to me as well, it's a good idea to put Streaming threads in there. It bulks out the board a little bit but not too much, it's still a single page of threads.

Thanks for implementing the idea.