Author Topic: Extract the graphics from the Mac version of Lemmings?  (Read 3986 times)

Offline eisnerguy1

• View Profile
Extract the graphics from the Mac version of Lemmings?
« on: December 29, 2018, 03:38:22 AM »
I hope this is the correct spot for this.  I was wondering if there was a tool that would extract the graphics from the Mac version of Lemmings?  I've been playing the Christmas Lemmings (92, 93 & 94) during the holiday and wanted to see if I could extract the graphics.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extract the graphics from the Mac version of Lemmings?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 07:21:15 PM »
I'm not sure how much is known about the Mac version internally.

If it uses the same level file format as other versions, a last resort option would be to create custom levels which contain all pieces (without them overlapping) and take screenshots to extract the graphics from.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 10:45:35 AM »
I've been wanting to suggest this for a while now, however not with regard to Christmas Lemmings, but to original Lemmings: The Fire tileset has a slightly different looking exit in the Mac version. It looks more like an actual gnawer / rodent, not like a devil.

For example (skip to "A task for blockers and bombers"):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6rB-4Lk7Qk
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 11:28:52 AM »
Interesting! I didn't know there were some slight differences. If I can somehow get this version working, I can at least rip the fire exit.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 12:58:52 PM »
I've been wanting to suggest this for a while now, however not with regard to Christmas Lemmings, but to original Lemmings

Oh, you shouldn't have waited so long!  I already extracted the Mac graphics for original Lemmings ages back, see this topic for download link.  It includes all terrain, objects as well as the lemmings animations.

I was wondering if there was a tool that would extract the graphics from the Mac version of Lemmings?

I wrote one a long while back (more than 5 years ago at least, if not 10) but IIRC the program was hard-coded to the specifics of Mac Lemmings (ie. vs ONML or the Xmas/Holiday Lemmings).  Unfortunately it was all on an old, long since defunct laptop that I only made rather spotty backups from, so I'm not sure if I still have the source code for the program anymore, nor any notes I've taken about the technical details for the ripping.  (Furthermore, my notes often can be as spotty and incomplete as the backups.) :-[ The tool is also written to run on Windows (I don't have a Mac nor the tools to program on it).

If I manage to find the old stuff from my backups and the materials recovered are sufficiently complete, I'll let you know what I need from you to try to get it to work on other Mac Lemmings games.  But it's all a very big IF at this time so please don't get your hopes up, sorry.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 04:49:21 PM »
Update: to my surprise, I was able to locate the backup that has all my stuff from the old laptop. 8-) There were no notes, but the source code and compiled EXEs for the tools I created do exist in the backup, and it looks like I also already had a copy of the data for Mac Holiday Lemmings 93 as well.

Unfortunately, while those pre-existing tools seem to work as-is on the data from Holiday Lemmings 93, the extracted graphics ended up all blank, or in some cases encountered errors during extraction. :(  So it would seem that something has changed slightly or a lot format-wise between Lemmings and Holiday Lemmings on the Mac.  It is not clear at the moment whether I can get past this problem.  If it's a totally different format then most likely not.  If it's just slightly different, then maybe, but it will still take time to work out and the holidays are over, so I can't promise spending much time on this in the near future.

namida's alternative idea of creating a custom level with all pieces could be viable if the level file format is basically the same as DOS Lemmings, but you will need to first find on the web a resource editor for Mac files that runs on the Mac, in order to change the levels that come with the game.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 03:43:34 PM »
Success!  So as it turns out, it was just a fairly minor change in formatting, so I've now successfully ripped the graphics from Mac ONML and Mac Holiday Lemmings 93. 8-)

Though truth be told they don't really look all that different from the graphics in DOS or Amiga. :-\