Author Topic: [BUG][PLAYER] Pre/postview texts aren't padded with blank lines.  (Read 1655 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
DOS Lemmings (possibly via blank lines in the source text rather than any position adjustment) and NeoLemmix pre-new-formats would vertically center the pre / postview texts if they didn't use up the entire available screen space, by padding it with blank lines before and after the actual text.

This appears to be broken in new-formats releases, including the current one. I have a feeling I mentioned this before, but only in passing rather than a dedicated bug report topic.

Looking at the source code, TGameTextScreen.GetScreenText (in GameTextScreen.pas) still adds the correct padding lines. Not sure if my repo is 100% up to date, but it's newer than the latest stable release. Either something is stripping them out later, or this function is no longer used at all; I have not looked into it any deeper than that. Did consider the possibility that code elsewhere is no longer recognizing #13 as linebreak (and instead wanting #10 only), but I notice that non-padding lines - even blank ones - are also terminated with #13 only and they linebreak fine.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: [BUG][PLAYER] Pre/postview texts aren't padded with blank lines.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 03:24:26 PM »
There are bigger problems than just the padding. I looked at the pre-view text of "Final Frustration" (in NepsterLems), and there it displays just the first line of actually four that exist in the nxlv file. So it might not be the padding, but the actual text display that is broken.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 04:07:36 AM »
I haven't seen any case where the actual text doesn't display correctly, once it's set correctly in the level file - it's just the padding that's missing.

I have however noticed weird results coming out of the conversion tool sometimes.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 04:41:10 AM »
I can confirm the problem with Final Frustration is in the actual level file itself, not NeoLemmix's handling.

The centering itself appears to be fixed in the source code now, even though V12.4.0 still exhibits the bug.
My Lemmings projects