Author Topic: xmas2018: Holiday-themed pack with 24 levels  (Read 4833 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
xmas2018: Holiday-themed pack with 24 levels
« on: November 30, 2018, 12:32:21 AM »
Hello,

just in time for the festive season, Forestidia and I present xmas2018! This is a holiday-themed singleplayer pack for Lix with 24 levels, including one by Raymanni.

Get it: Download newest version of Lix, xmas2018 has been included since Lix version 0.9.22. Look in the folder levels/single/misc/.

Ideas behind the pack: This season is about love and caring. You don't have to implode, cube, or kill lix: In these levels, all lix must be saved. The 24 levels stand for the 24 days until Christmas. You can play one level per day, or try to solve them all in a single sitting. It's your choice.

Have some hot chocoloate and enjoy the pack!

-- Simon

Advent Calendar
The first level of the pack. 24 little doors with 24 little surprises.

Decorate the Tree
Join us in the homely living room. The holiday porcupine can't wait to see your newest tree stylings.

Home Time for Santa
Santa has delivered all the presents. The cookies were tasty. Let's help him leave the house through the chimney.

Docked at the North Pole
Join the expedition to Santa's home in the icy north.

Three Wise Visitors
Earlier, you've guided the Three Wise (Wo)Men through the desert. Now they must agree where to meet in the shed.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 09:05:05 AM by Simon »

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: xmas2018: Holiday-themed Lix pack with 24 levels
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 01:01:12 AM »
Oh wow! :thumbsup: Looks very nice and inviting and most certainly in season, very enticing already w/o even playing anything yet.  Love the idea of no-kill (the original Xmas Lemmings sort of have that same idea too but didn't quite go as far, they merely kept the levels hazard-free as I recall) and other references like the 24 to align with the holiday spirit. :tal-gold:  (hmm, wonder if we should add some new holiday-themed emoticons......)

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
Re: xmas2018: Holiday-themed pack with 24 levels
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 05:40:06 PM »
:lix-blush: I will definitely be playing one per day so I'll comment on the levels later.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 05:48:56 PM »
Impressive, Simon! I haven't seen anyone "painting" with level tiles in Lix so far, only in NeoLemmix.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 08:52:40 PM »
This looks great!
I'll probably stream a playthrough tomorrow around 16:30 UTC (2.5 hours before the multiplayer session) and see how far I get.

EDIT: Playthrough videos online for 14 days: https://www.twitch.tv/dont_delete_my_account/videos
Had to make a new twitch account because my old one apparently got deleted for no reason.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 10:36:57 PM by geoo »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 09:42:33 PM »
Here are my replays. ;)

I think I still found a few little backroutes. :P

Btw: The update zip you linked for Win 64bit has the folder named "lix-V.0.9.22" instead of just "lix" so instead of just extracting and overwriting I had to manually merge after extracting. Don't know if this was intended, so I'm reporting it. :P Before that I just had to extract and overwrite.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 11:20:07 PM »
Thanks for the replays, Icho.
Feedback to the replays (click to show/hide)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 05:07:12 AM »
Thanks for all the nice feedback! :lix-grin:

I'm happy about the looks, too. Raymanni designed the Holiday set in 2017 and I've always wanted to show its quality. It mixes well even with the other drawing styles. Indeed, painting in Lix's finer physics resolution seems harder than in NeoLemmix, but I'm glad it's still possible.

Right, the 1993/1994 Holiday Lemmings levels didn't allow hazards by tileset design. Those levels had a feeling of homeliness, we've tried to recapture that.

When Forestidia showed me Advent Calendar, I immediately knew that this had to be among the preview images. :lix-grin: But for long, it was sorted second among the 24 levels. Only very late in development, we sorted it first, where it really belongs -- the entire pack is an advent calendar after all.

I've spent far more time than expected on xmas2018 and realized how much care is behind the maintenance of packs with ≥ 100 levels.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 10:06:07 AM by Simon »

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 09:09:23 AM »
I've now completed all of the levels. They were like delicious nuts: sometimes hard to crack but the good insides always paid off. I solved them all fairly easily, except 'Look Who Is Waiting up There'. I was stuck on that one for a good while but I did get it in the end.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I really liked every level in this pack but some "honorable mentions" should be: 'Climb to Christmas', 'Docked at the North Pole', 'Stockpile of Presents' and of course 'Look Who Is Waiting up There'.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2018, 06:12:33 PM »
Thanks! Happy to hear that the nuts gave you something to bite, and that you still solved them all. That's exactly what we had in mind!

Interesting choice of highlights! Look Who is Waiting up There, it is tricky -- when I saw it first, I too questioned whether it was solvable at all. But I'm happy that it's all fair in the end.

-- Simon