Author Topic: Lemmings Forums Level Contest #16  (Read 3398 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Lemmings Forums Level Contest #16
« on: November 13, 2018, 08:06:32 PM »
Welcome to another contest of the Lemmingsforums! This time the three rules have been picked by various people as Nessy decided to split up his rule choosing prize for winning an older contest.

A few words to new participants and forum members: If you haven't entered before, I strongly encourage you to try - even if you don't win, it's fun to participate; and we have had cases where first-time entrants have won before!; there are three choices of rules given, you may enter one level each for up to two of the rules.
You may either use new format NeoLemmix, or Lix.
If you have two entries, they may (but do not have to) be for the same engine. Please make sure you tested your level for basic solvability before submitting and be sure to also submit any custom tileset you are using, so others have no problem playing your level. ;)

Pre contest testing: You can choose 1 person who does a bit of pre-testing for you, so that the biggest backroutes and screw-ups of your levels can be detected before the playing phase. I cannot control this so it's only a guideline, but still I would prefer not everyone knows every level before the playing phase starts. ;)

Here are the rules on how the submission deadlines work:
- Initial submission phase deadline will extend such that it's 72 hours from the time of the last submission, up to the 5th submission (inclusive). After this it no longer changes no matter what.
- Update phase deadline will not extend over the initial dead line!
- Even if you missed the cutoff date for the initial submission phase, late entries are accepted until the update phase ends. There is no penalty for a late entry, beyond that people are less likely to spend as much time on the level before voting begins.

And here is the new ruleset:

Rule 1

Make a level whose height is at least three times as big as its width.

Basically the width is up to the creator and the height is whatever the chosen width is >= times 3. That is the only restriction.

Rule 2

Sprint!
Create a level with a time limit of at most 2 minutes.
The furthest hatch/pre-placed lemming that has to be saved must be at least 640 horizontal pixels away from the respected exit they must go to.  640 pixels = 2 screens, for Lix: 1280 pixels

Distance is measured by the basic object positions in the editor (bottom right corner in the NL editor) and not the exactly the spawn trigger/exit trigger positions here to simplify the distance rule.

I won't disqulify over slight inaccuracies by a few pixels, as long as the creator does not actively try to mess with the spirit of the rule. Also simply using teleporters to cover all of the distance isn't forbidden, but I would discourage it.

In Lix the intended solution has to be under 2 minutes and the timer's urge can be simulated with a hatch that needs external help near the exit in slightly under 2 minutes.
How to measure time in Lix: You can show phyus in Lix. 15 phyus are 1 sec. The level starts at 45 phyus. The first spawn is at 60 phyus.  You can show phyus by ticking the option in the tab "graphics". So the solution must be completed in under 1800 phyus.

Rule 3

Make a level with at least 3 hatches, no preplaced lems and no cloners, and the save requirement must be exactly equal to the number spawned by all but one hatch.

So basically save requirement for n hatches = Lemmings in n-1 hatches. With n >= 3.

Example:

- You must have at least 3 hatches
- If there are exactly 3 hatches, the save requirement must be 2/3 of the number of lemmings. It doesn't have to be 3 lems, save 2; it can be 6 and save 4, or 30 and save 20, or any other numbers in the same ratio.
- If there are exactly 4 hatches, the save requirement must be 3/4 of the number of lemmings; with 5 hatches, 4/5; and so on.

Submission phase ends Janurary 14th 2019 at 00:00 UTC. This should give everyone enough time to think about a level. :) Deadline for the playing / update phase will be announced when it begins.

Ruleset in detail again: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2246.0

Send me a personal message with your level/s and if needed tileset/s to participate. It would also be nice to also tell me the rule which each level satisfies.

Prize selection:
- US $5.00
- One month's advertising on the forums news ticker
- Pick next contest's rules

Entries so far: 11

- nin10doaddict (1)
- Crane (2)
- IchoTolot (2)
- Nessy (2)
- SQron188 (2)
- Colorful Arty (2)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 08:00:26 AM by IchoTolot »

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
Re: Lemmings Forums Level Contest #16
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 12:17:03 AM »
Is picking the next contest's rules going to remain in every contest? Right now it's pretty confusing with who gets to pick which rules for which contest due to the LOTY contest offering as a prize, so now whoever wins this contest gets to potentially pick the rules for contest 18, not 17.
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 08:04:17 AM »
Is picking the next contest's rules going to remain in every contest? Right now it's pretty confusing with who gets to pick which rules for which contest due to the LOTY contest offering as a prize, so now whoever wins this contest gets to potentially pick the rules for contest 18, not 17.

LOTY had nothing to do with the rule choosing here, it only had a money prize. Right now it's only 1 person left with the rule choosing prize: You. So that will be for the very next contest then: 17 and not 18.

Basically we only have 1 contest difference now and as soon as 1 person picks another prize it will be up to par again. 1 contest delay I found not a big enough gap to remove the prize.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 07:05:09 PM »
In chat there was some confusion about Rule 3. I'll try to make it clearer:

- You must have at least 3 hatches
- If there are exactly 3 hatches, the save requirement must be 2/3 of the number of lemmings. It doesn't have to be 3 lems, save 2; it can be 6 and save 4, or 30 and save 20, or any other numbers in the same ratio.
- If there are exactly 4 hatches, the save requirement must be 3/4 of the number of lemmings; with 5 hatches, 4/5; and so on.

Icho's edit: I've added this example to the description. ;)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 07:14:43 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 07:23:21 AM »
Don't leave the submissions too late - just over 2 weeks left!

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 06:33:24 PM »
Not that much time left, be sure to get your entries ready! ;)

Regarding LOTY 2018: I will try and get the list of eligible nominations ready this week so we can soon start afterwards. :)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 01:26:56 AM »
would I be correct in assuming that we are not allowed to enter a level using the experimental shimmier version for this contest?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 08:01:40 AM »
would I be correct in assuming that we are not allowed to enter a level using the experimental shimmier version for this contest?

No experimental version allowed, sorry.