Author Topic: [Bug][Editor] Moving background objects don't move  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
[Bug][Editor] Moving background objects don't move
« on: October 17, 2018, 02:18:40 PM »
I don't know whether this is a bug or intentional (in the latter case, it would mean yet another culled feature), but moving background objects do not move in the editor. In fact, it isn't even possible to enter a direction of movement for them.

Inside the player, it works for a level from SEB Lems I tried out - Mother O'Donoghue - but not for my converted Autumn tileset level (the leaves remain static in the air).

I know that triggered decorations have been removed in New Formats, but moving background objects are a different category. ;)

I also mentioned this in my graphic sets thread, but I think it gets lost there easily, so I bring it up here again.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [Bug][Editor] Moving background objects don't move
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 05:03:13 PM »
I think we should have support in the player (and in the textfiles), but not yet in the editor. Nepster can correct me if I'm wrong.

You could look at levelfiles with functional moving objects, see how they work in the level's textfile and based on that add the nessesary lines to objects which should have that property.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 06:40:31 PM »
Correct: Currently the editor cannot edit the "moving" part of moving background objects, but the player does (and will also in the future) support that.
In the text file add to the moving background object the following (thanks to Nessy for telling me a while back):
SPEED 20
ANGLE 90

The speed value is a positive integer and the angle is a multiple of 45 (degree).

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 08:50:47 PM »
Thanks, guys, that will do as an interim solution, for sure! :D As long as I can be sure that it isn't going to be removed completely and that support is meant to be re-added again, this is fine!
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 11:22:57 PM »
Just a slight correction on the above - the angle can be any whole number of degrees in terms of "what's valid input?", but will be rounded to the nearest 22.5 degrees in-game.

More importantly, editor support for editing (not just preserving) moving background settings has finally been added in commit db54768.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)