Author Topic: [New Format NL] The Wall Tileset (Turrican 2)  (Read 9240 times)

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
[New Format NL] The Wall Tileset (Turrican 2)
« on: October 12, 2018, 06:24:36 PM »
The Wall Tileset (Turrican 2)

Here is another one based on Turrican 2!
This time packed with 2 levels!!

Special thanks:

Designers of these graphics and Turrican 2: Manfred Trenz, Holger Schimdt, Andreas Escher, Julian Eggebrecht
Original soundtrack by: Chris Hulsbeck
Help, testing and feedback: IchoTolot

+++
Download the tileset and the levels HERE.
+++
Installation: after downloading, extract the archive into your NeoLemmix directory and play!
+++

Please don't hesitate to comment so that I can improve!

Offline Turrican

• View Profile
Re: [New Format NL] The Wall Tileset (Turrican 2)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 04:00:48 AM »
I have tried the levels that use this tileset the previous months and also last week I tried a level that uses the alien tileset  (  from the MegSEGAbytes pack ) , and I have to say, really great job at both ! :thumbsup:

Both tilesets are great conversions, look really good , and they have some very good ideas like the pickup skills and the opening hatches in the alien tileset!

Also, do you have any plans to convert any other tilesets from the Turrican games?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 07:31:45 AM by Turrican »
My Youtube channel ( Turrican Lemm )  :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYGFBOHdYITHlsqa203Tu8Q

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 09:42:59 AM »
I have tried the levels that use this tileset the previous months and also last week I tried a level that uses the alien tileset  (  from the MegSEGAbytes pack ) , and I have to say, really great job at both ! :thumbsup:

Both tilesets are great conversions, look really good , and they have some very good ideas like the pickup skills and the opening hatches in the alien tileset!

Also, do you have any plans to convert any other tilesets from the Turrican games?

First of all, thanks for playing and for commenting here! It's always a great feeling that someone enjoys my levels and tilesets.

But with many of the Alien tileset's tiles having holes in them (in a "Beast of a Level" way, kind of) I thought it might've raised a lot of controversy/criticism. Surprisingly (to me), it was only kind of controversial, I think - my Contest 14 entry used few of those things, and the Lemmings World Tour level used quite a few of them, limiting the use of certain skills in certain places but ultimately helping the solution, I think.

What the tilesets look like owes to the original makers. ;) I only converted them.
The things like the pickup skills and the Alien tileset hatch were the spark-of-the-moment type of things. And also because of the fact that I needed these bits to be in the tileset. The Alien tileset, in fact, comes with the default-style pick-ups with light green outlines but having both tilesets, it should be possible to take The Wall's ones into an Alien (or any) type of level.

Hmmm... Provided there won't be any interruptions from real-life stuff for me, I could do some more, maybe?
I was thinking of making a non-Turrican tileset of my own - and I have a defined idea in mind already - depending on whether I can actually make some nice tiles and objects from scratch.
If not, then I may indeed turn to making another conversion.
Now, which one it could be, is another question... For instance, Turrican II's World 1 is so similar to the Dirt tileset that I see little point in converting that. I may think about  Turrican II's World  2, though, with its closest similarity being the Kiwi tileset maybe, and it looks very pleasant to the eye...

At any rate, thanks again, and don't hesitate to reply and comment again! Cheers!

And just by the way, judging from this comment and also from your username, you're interested in the Turrican games! If you'd like to discuss anything at all regarding this subject, write me a PM here on LF or on LF Discord!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 10:22:31 PM »
But with many of the Alien tileset's tiles having holes in them (in a "Beast of a Level" way, kind of) I thought it might've raised a lot of controversy/criticism. Surprisingly (to me), it was only kind of controversial, I think - my Contest 14 entry used few of those things, and the Lemmings World Tour level used quite a few of them, limiting the use of certain skills in certain places but ultimately helping the solution, I think.

I haven't played these specific levels, but my general thought here: Those kind of holes are a negative thing if they're misleading (as in, it appears they should be solid but they're not; or it appears they shouldn't be solid but they are). If not, it might be tricky terrain to navigate, but it's not in any way unfair.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Turrican

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 09:09:47 AM »

About the alien tileset: the level I played ( The point of no return from the MegSEGAbytes pack ) played flawlessly. I didn't encounter a single problem solving it (and it was a great level) .

Hmmm... Provided there won't be any interruptions from real-life stuff for me, I could do some more, maybe?
I was thinking of making a non-Turrican tileset of my own - and I have a defined idea in mind already - depending on whether I can actually make some nice tiles and objects from scratch.
If not, then I may indeed turn to making another conversion.

First of all , if you want to make your own tileset, then go for it! :thumbsup:

If you want to convert another Turrican tileset , then I agree that Turrican II's world 2 is probably the best choice. It is very versatile with lots of small and large pieces and I thing it can work well with many types of levels.

Also I thing Turrican II's world 1 can be a good alternative to the dirt tileset. It is more detailed , it has more varied colour palette at places , and it can produce some great steel pieces. Another good alternative I think is world 1 from the first Turrican. It is also more detailed than the dirt tileset, but it also has a "tech theme" too, that I think it can provide more variety , and It can be good for levels that require precision too.

Another good choice I think it can be is world 5 from the first Turrican. It can work well imo as a more "modern" alternative to the brick tileset , and I think , it can be great also for levels that require precision. It's disadvantage compared to the brick tileset imo is that It dosn't seem to have so many diagonal pieces.
My Youtube channel ( Turrican Lemm )  :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYGFBOHdYITHlsqa203Tu8Q

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 07:07:20 PM »
I haven't played these specific levels, but my general thought here: Those kind of holes are a negative thing if they're misleading (as in, it appears they should be solid but they're not; or it appears they shouldn't be solid but they are). If not, it might be tricky terrain to navigate, but it's not in any way unfair.

Hmm... I think some of the tiles have okay holes and some of them use misleading ones, at least in my view. That's probably not optimal. :sick: I may have to update/patch the Alien tileset at some point - not sure when - and I do have some more notes regarding stuff to update.

Quote from: Turrican
If you want to convert another Turrican tileset , then I agree that Turrican II's world 2 is probably the best choice

Yeah, I was thinking about it a bit the other day and it might just work, provided I come up with objects for it (I have an idea for the hatch; will have to come up with traps/fire; and will have to decide how to go about with water - maybe create a nice water & updraft combo as in the Underwater tileset, seeing as a part of the Turrican II level is submerged).

Quote from: Turrican
Another good choice I think it can be is world 5 from the first Turrican.

I agree, though I have no refined ideas for that one. I just know it'd definitely need a good background - I couldn't tell what was solid and what wasn't when first playing through that level!

And to both of you, thanks again for your input. I genuinely appreciate it.

Offline Zekethelemming

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2023, 02:38:10 AM »
Honestly thought that this was gonna be a Pink Floyd themed tile set, still looks great though.

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2023, 10:14:25 AM »
Honestly thought that this was gonna be a Pink Floyd themed tile set, still looks great though.
Cheers! I only adapted the tileset from the Amiga version of Turrican II (the PC version, for instance is infinitely bland!!!), all props to those guys for making it.