Author Topic: Strato's graphic sets  (Read 3883 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Strato's graphic sets
« on: October 06, 2018, 12:07:02 AM »
Well, then - it's about time I created my own graphic set thread :) . Those of you who have downloaded Lemmings World Tour, or, more specifically, my entire style folder to go along with it, already have the Instruments tileset, but I'm going to upload it here separately again so that it's easily accessible for everyone, rather than coming as a hidden "gift" inside that folder. ;)

The red Stratocaster is a Wikimedia Commons picture created by Johan Förberg.

God gave Rock 'n Roll to you (Lemmings World Tour)

Note that this tileset is only called "Instruments"; I didn't know of the rule to put the username before it at the time of creation. I did change the name to "strato_instruments" for the New Formats conversion, but all Old Formats levels in Lemmings World Tour refer to "Instruments".

(The New Formats version is going to be uploaded soon, once I've gone through all the remaining steps Nepster put on that conversion list ;) . )

While Instruments is just a collection of pieces copied and pasted together, and made up of largely huge elements to get a somewhat reasonable resolution, I also made my first attempt this evening to create a tileset entirely of sprites of my own. Even though I only have an ancient version of Photoshop (7.0), a couple of standard blending effects, like drop shadows and bevel and emboss, already do their part in making the graphics a little more lively :) .

I felt I wanted to have a teal graphic set, since that is a colour barely used so far. Teal and golden came together, and in a matter of a couple of hours, this Money tileset was born! :D

It's a rich Lem's world

The water was made red because... there's blood on a lot of money that goes around the world! :evil:

I even managed to create a little animation for the wheel of that vault on the right spinning as the locked exit opens :D . But that's kind of the peak of what I'm able to do animation-wise at the moment! :-[

This graphic set doesn't have own unlock buttons, just a locked and a regular exit. But I've found that the golden unlock buttons from namida's Clockwork graphic set (as one appears in the example above) goes well with this colour scheme.

Instruments is finished as a tileset, since it has been used for multiple levels in Lemmings World Tour, so there will not be any further additions to it.

Money, however, is a work in progress at this point, so feel free to make further suggestions! :) For example, I thought about adding a diamond, if I manage to paint one convincingly. Once I've decided that the list of pieces and objects is final, I'm of course going to create a New Formats conversion of it, as well :) .
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 12:19:03 AM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
Re: Strato's graphic sets
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 10:36:28 PM »
Here's another one - in spirit of the season! ;)

Fallen leaves

Yes, I keep sticking to song titles... looks like Lemmings World Tour may have a successor one day. :D

Little gimmick: You can simulate wind by inserting those leaves - they are moving background objects. ;)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 09:22:10 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 09:51:04 PM »
Autumn has received a little update! :) So whoever that one user was who downloaded it, please download it again! I didn't remove anything, just added a couple of terrain and steel pieces, plus a custom one-use trap (a falling leaf)! I used namida's tree trap animation as a starting point here for the movement of the lemming.

I also included the example level "Fallen leaves" (in Old Formats in the post above; in New Formats in this one - the water pond has to be slightly relocated).

Autumn still includes the second part of the exit, because it only occured to me after having created all the other objects that I could insert the sprites with both exit pieces combined in Old Formats right away, rather than having to do this during the conversion. So in order not to mess up the placement of all objects coming afterwards, I just left the "exit interior" in, but it isn't necessary to use it anywhere.

Since I don't plan to do any further changes to Instruments and Autumn, here are the New Formats conversions of both tilesets. As expected, there are several issues though:

1) The moving objects from Autumn don't work. I've opened a Honeycomb level from SEB Lems to test the bees, and they do not move either in the editor. When opened in the context of the pack however, the bees do move. If I however start my Autumn level inside the new NeoLemmix player, the leaves still do not move. And the editor no longer offers the option to enter a direction for moving objects. I know that triggered decorations were culled, but why does this thing with moving objects have to be more difficult as well?

2) The leaf trap from the Autumn tileset has a custom sound that's missing in new formats. This doesn't get copied by the graphic set conversion tool, apparently. I put it into the folder "sounds" manually, but I have no idea how it has to be named in order to be recognised; I've looked into one of Raymanni's tilesets for reference (Food, which has the worm with the custom sound), but couldn't find anything relating to the sound itself, only to the trap as an animation.
The soundfile in question is attached.

3) So, turns out the original rotation of the acoustic guitar exit was horizontal, not upright (I've used both in my Lemmings World Tour levels, though). That obviously can't be replicated due to the prevention of inversion or rotation of exits. This forces the guitar exit from the level shown above ("God gave Rock 'n Roll to you") to be placed in a much more ugly-looking way in order for the trigger to still be accessible.

4) And on top of that, I can't even save a level as a plain old PNG anymore to show you! :devil:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 11:48:58 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 02:11:40 PM »
In case anyone creates levels for Instruments or Autumn in Old Formats and wishes to convert them later - for example, if it's a level larger than 2400 pixels ^^, or if you simply like to use the old editor for its piece-replacement feature (like Arty) - I've attached my translation tables.

Since these aren't part of the styles folders, but inside "data --> translation", without them, New Formats won't know what to do with an Old Formats level you try to open in the new editor or player.

Also, one piece in Instruments contains an ö in the Old Formats version - because I credited the red Fender Stratocaster to the creative commons guy who drew it, Johan Förberg (see above). This confused the New Formats version, which is why the translation table changes it to "Johan Foerberg".
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 11:51:34 PM »
I've just quickly updated the Money and the Autumn tileset to set the colour of the pickup skills. This wasn't necessary in Old Formats, because there every graphic set included separate PNGs for pickup skills. Hence, no new upload for the Old Formats versions required (should there be any changes, I'd continue to maintain them, of course!). In New Formats however, the border and inside of the pickup skills was black so far, meaning they'd disappear in front of a standard black background.

Now, this has been fixed for both tilesets! :)
My packs so far: